• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2022 at 3:30 PM, paperheart said:

:roflmao: I've taken classes with this guy. He's been reviewing movies since college (40 years),professionally since 1985, written several books, can only imagine the thousands (tens of thousands?) of movies he's seen.

If this guy has been reviewing movies since 1985, he's seen Ishtar. No way Black Adam is worse than that.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, D84 said:
On 10/31/2022 at 2:30 PM, paperheart said:

:roflmao: I've taken classes with this guy. He's been reviewing movies since college (40 years),professionally since 1985, written several books, can only imagine the thousands (tens of thousands?) of movies he's seen.

If this guy has been reviewing movies since 1985, he's seen Ishtar. No way Black Adam is worse than that.

If he has been reviewing movies since 1985, he must have some serious dirt on someone to have been employed for that long as from a quick check on his other reviews it is not necessarily based on the quality of his work...........

Edited by kimik

On 10/31/2022 at 4:30 PM, paperheart said:

Careful - Last time I said I took classes with someone, Bosco spent two pages calling me a liar.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:08 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Careful - Last time I said I took classes with someone, Bosco spent two pages calling me a liar.

Or better yet. When someone posts straightforward numbers and you then proceed to call them 'disingenuous' or 'manipulating data' so as to detract from their credibility. That's a special kind of ugly.

Now move on and go see Black Adam.

:roflmao:

I'm still waiting for your movie industry review and box office aggregation service to come about. Between you, Gatsby and J, it could be the game-changer the industry has been seeking.

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/31/2022 at 4:34 PM, D84 said:

Honestly. How could Black Adam surpass the majesty of The Spirit or Catwoman?

The troubling thing about these posts supporting this critic - they haven't even seen Black Adam yet. But they will pepper the thread with its failure and how bad it is. Same as they did with other films to drive home their negative narrative, turning people off from wanting to discuss those films or shows.

Fantastic even-handed forum dialogue.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:19 PM, Bosco685 said:

Or better yet. When someone posts straightforward numbers and you then proceed to call them 'disingenuous' or 'manipulating data' so as to detract from their credibility. 

Umm...What credibility? What did Guardians of the Galaxy 2 cost to produce again?

Please cite two credible sources.

(Here's a hint: It was $200 million before P&A - as cited by Deadline, The New York Times, Box Office Mojo and well, everyone else...)

The single article that posited your inaccurate numbers failed to account for the tax incentives (which reduced the cost).

And if you'd read that article properly, you would have caught that detail...

On 10/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...What credibility? What did Guardians of the Galaxy 2 cost to produce again?

Please cite two credible sources.

(Here's a hint: It was $200 million before P&A - as cited by Deadline, The New York Times, Box Office Mojo and well, everyone else...)

The single article that posited your inaccurate numbers failed to account for the tax incentives (which reduced the cost).

And if you'd read that article properly, you would have caught that detail...

How about that Black Widow premiere access fee-to-box office math conversion where you just assumed nobody would actually do the math - and it was way off? I noticed you disappeared with that little 'fact' you dropped.

But go on about GotG Vol. 1's production budget, The Flash 2016 release date movie, and all the other positive little charms spread throughout the years.

Or. Go see Black Adam for yourself. For real. Don't make up a review or torrent it. :idea:

Seems the editors at rotten tomatoes have thrown in the towel on this one, comparing the numbers, unfavorably, to Famtastic Beasts 3 and the eternals.  

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/weekend-box-office-results-black-adam-suffers-big-drop-but-stays-at-the-top/

"The worldwide total for the nearly $200-million budgeted film currently stands at just $250 million, and if it can only expect around another $50-60 million from North America, this could turn into a Fantastic Beasts 3 kind of loser for Warner Bros. to go out on in 2022."

-J.

With all the trolling criticism for Black Adam, the litmus test of a true "movie critic" is a kid.  After viewing the second advance screening of "Shazam!" in 2019, when exiting the theatre there was an 8-year-old in front of me unabashedly jumping two feet in the air with his arm raised high yelling "SHAZAM!," "SHAZAM!," "SHAZAM!" all the way out of the lobby.  I felt like doing the same... :smile:   Happy Halloween!

28879264_Truemoviecritic.png.a797c05ca9b820a7b54186c18c76e660.png

822597525_Zacandcastmates.jpg.921db09f3da437698e7c343bef158a35.jpg

1727670056_MaryMarvel14.png.19e7a44ab7a304b5874645e709c2327f.png

Edited by Mr.TawkyTawny

On 10/31/2022 at 10:17 PM, Mr.TawkyTawny said:

With all the trolling criticism for Black Adam, the litmus test of a true "movie critic" is a kid.  After viewing the second advance screening of "Shazam!" in 2019, when exiting the theatre there was an 8-year-old in front of me unabashedly jumping two feet in the air with his arm raised high yelling "SHAZAM!," "SHAZAM!," "SHAZAM!" all the way out of the lobby.  I felt like doing the same... :smile:   Happy Halloween!

28879264_Truemoviecritic.png.a797c05ca9b820a7b54186c18c76e660.png

822597525_Zacandcastmates.jpg.921db09f3da437698e7c343bef158a35.jpg

1727670056_MaryMarvel14.png.19e7a44ab7a304b5874645e709c2327f.png

If only they would finally implement that sign language feature. The trolling would really go to town.

"She waved her arms around like she was signing Jingle Bells!"

If one agrees with his "Top 10 Bad" list, then that says enough. lol

On 10/31/2022 at 5:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

The troubling thing about these posts supporting this critic - they haven't even seen Black Adam yet. But they will pepper the thread with its failure and how bad it is.

Yeah, that's something we have an issue with here. They're probably stuck in confirmation bias mode, now. As Black Adam is more just "good, fun" it would be incredibly easy to go in hypercritical and pick apart anything that isn't perfect.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

Awww carp, I now know what happens to Dr Fate in the film. :(

I was supposed to go see it today, but it was storming, so we're hoping to make the trip next Monday (we've got to drive an hour to get to a city with a cinema, as the town I'm staying in doesn't have one). 

On 11/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, Cat said:

Awww carp, I now know what happens to Dr Fate in the film. :(

I was supposed to go see it today, but it was storming, so we're hoping to make the trip next Monday (we've got to drive an hour to get to a city with a cinema, as the town I'm staying in doesn't have one). 

Just go into assuming Doctor Fate's path forward is unclear. Because seriously, it is unclear.

:cheers:

On 11/1/2022 at 9:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Part of the problem is referring to the film's "quality" despite not having experienced its quality, though. How can you have an opinion on the movie if you haven't seen it? Had you seen it, and didn't like it, spreading the opinions you agree with could make sense. Otherwise, it simply doesn't make sense.

I can say that Black Panther II's trailers don't look interesting to me, it doesn't look like it's going to buck the Phase Bore trend to me. However, I haven't seen the movie, so posting negative reviews when they come out wouldn't make any sense in that instance, either.

i never owned or drove a yugo, but i read enough about the clunker to feel pretty confident in its lack of quality.  you'd say, i reckon, that my position in that regard, "doesn't make sense."   i disagree.

On 11/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, Straw-Man said:

i never owned or drove a yugo, but i read enough about the clunker to feel pretty confident in its lack of quality.  you'd say, i reckon, that my position in that regard, "doesn't make sense."   i disagree.

And, yet, you'll never know of the Yugo's actual quality without seeing and driving one yourself.

Imagine if I believed all the BS about American vs Foreign when it comes to word of mouth on automobiles.

Saw it and would give it a modest 5/10 (or a grade of 'C')...there's enough in the story and the action to make it okay, but in the end it felt like a mashed-up, cartoony 'meh'.  (I will admit, however, that I was not a Black Adam follower in the comics, so I'm relying on the film for everything.)  I did like Dr. Fate's presence and some of the 'is good truly evil?' storyline ideas.  Would not see a sequel based on my experience, however.

Dan

On 11/1/2022 at 12:12 PM, Drummy said:

Saw it and would give it a modest 5/10 (or a grade of 'C')...there's enough in the story and the action to make it okay, but in the end it felt like a mashed-up, cartoony 'meh'.  (I will admit, however, that I was not a Black Adam follower in the comics, so I'm relying on the film for everything.)  I did like Dr. Fate's presence and some of the 'is good truly evil?' storyline ideas.  Would not see a sequel based on my experience, however.

Dan

I wonder how grading scales play into movie scores. For example, an "average" movie for me gets somewhere in the 6.5-7.5 ("C") range, influenced by the way grades are tracked in school. Your "modest/C" is quite lower than mine. A 5, for me, would be teetering on failure.

So, I'm just sitting here wondering how scores can be 'wrong' simply because users have different ways of using those numbers.