• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 10:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's his thing. You will never sway that view.

Now, D-tiny-2 is another story. :insane:

Are we accepting nothing but "the best" now? Isn't that an alleged criticism of MCU fans right now? There will always be highs and lows. Studios can't only hit "highs". (Just bouncing these thoughts off of you.)

I have no problem with average movies, so long as there are redeeming factors. Dwayne Johnson's acting? Surprisingly great, redeeming factor. JSA, particularly Fate and Hawkman? Redeeming factors. Black Adam isn't a movie where it's all average. The movie itself has highs and lows, and averages itself out. The studio can learn from the shortcomings of it.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:03 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are we accepting nothing but "the best" now? Isn't that an alleged criticism of MCU fans right now? There will always be highs and lows. Studios can't only hit "highs". (Just bouncing these thoughts off of you.)

I have no problem with average movies, so long as there are redeeming factors. Dwayne Johnson's acting? Surprisingly great, redeeming factor. JSA, particularly Fate and Hawkman? Redeeming factors. Black Adam isn't a movie where it's all average. The movie itself has highs and lows, and averages itself out. The studio can learn from the shortcomings of it.

Unfortunately, when a grudge post is on there is no even-handed mindset.

After 5 weekends, Black Adam's box office stands at just shy of $156 million domestically.

Adjusted for inflation, it would have to do ~$425 million worldwide to reach the equivalent of Shazam's 2019 total of $366 million.

Doesn't look like it'll get there.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:42 PM, Gatsby77 said:

After 5 weekends, Black Adam's box office stands at just shy of $156 million domestically.

Adjusted for inflation, it would have to do ~$425 million worldwide to reach the equivalent of Shazam's 2019 total of $366 million.

Doesn't look like it'll get there.

I'm genuinely shocked it didn't beat Shazam. Black Adam at least had the benefit of a name actor compared to Shazam, where I'd consider them both unknown properties (who remembers the 70's show?). 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:50 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Oh wow - I didn't know there was a live-action Shazam TV show. Just watched the opening credits.

Be interesting to hunt down a few episodes.

Now you are kidding around. It's been mentioned multiple times here.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, Cat said:

I'm genuinely shocked it didn't beat Shazam. Black Adam at least had the benefit of a name actor compared to Shazam, where I'd consider them both unknown properties (who remembers the 70's show?). 

It is crazy. But between the WBD constant cycle of mixed news, Emmerich leaving on a bad note (again - critics were big on his overall WB leadership) and marketing that was driven more by Dwayne Johnson social media posts than a refined plan to connect the franchise does was too many points of confusion for general audiences. Yet the movie is not this horrible story as some would attempt to convey. It just didn't have that franchise juice necessary. Add to this the Batgirl cancellation news, the reset of DC Studios leadership and the perception this was going to replace Henry Cavill finally (Dwayne Johnson was trying to hide the real surprise) and this lands at bad timing and studio backing.

FORBES: ‘Black Adam’ Looks Toward Underwhelming $500 Million Finish

If a movie is going to play at the $500 million range, it needs to keep the budget low enough that $500 million allows it to make at least a small profit. Otherwise, if the budgets are going to be in the $200 million range with at least half that much again in marketing costs, then the studio better have a strong plan to ensure it can gross at least $600+ million to cover its costs, and better yet it better play north of $700+ million to look like a real winner.

Instead, Black Adam will likely be the fifth DCEU/DCU shared universe film in a row to gross $500 million or less at the box office — in fact, the other four grossed less than $400 million apiece, so if Black Adam winds up on the lower end of my projections the situation looks even more painful for WBD. This is, after all, the first DC superhero movie in several years to release when theatrical attendance is returning to pre-pandemic levels and the film wasn’t day-and-date on HBO Max. So Black Adam’s box office barely beating the performance of the previous four movies is not a good sign.

Instead, I think the studio needs to recognize what did and didn’t work, especially with the marketing and promotion of the film, and be sure to correct those mistakes going forward. It’s also important to be able to look at the film and see how certain things surely would’ve increased its visibility and generated superior press talking points and narratives about the film and its place in the future of the DCEU/DCU.

For example, it probably would’ve benefited from Cavill appearing in a few more scenes — maybe a couple as Clark Kent at work, seeing the news about Black Adam but being too busy with another crisis to intervene, and later as Superman talking briefly to Hawkman or Doctor Fate while they assure him the Justice Society can handle the problem, before his final appearance telling Black Adam they need to talk. This would’ve allowed the trailers to include footage of Superman and make his return a major part of the conversation for weeks leading up to release.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Notable that this article was written two weeks ago, before Black Adam got (predictably) crushed by Wakanda Forever.

It's a misleading title as $450 million worldwide is now an impossibility, and even in this piece Hughes notes that $400 million is "right in the middle" of where he thought Black Adam would actually land for a global cume:

"The best case scenario at this point is a roughly $520 million finish for Black Adam, if it enjoys stronger than typical holds in the next month-plus. More likely, however, is a final cume in the $375-425 million range, with $400 million right in the center and where I expect the film to land (give or take a few million bucks)."

On 11/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Notable that this article was written two weeks ago, before Black Adam got (predictably) crushed by Wakanda Forever.

It's a misleading title as $450 million worldwide is now an impossibility, and even in this piece Hughes notes that $400 million is "right in the middle" of where he thought Black Adam would actually land for a global cume:

"The best case scenario at this point is a roughly $520 million finish for Black Adam, if it enjoys stronger than typical holds in the next month-plus. More likely, however, is a final cume in the $375-425 million range, with $400 million right in the center and where I expect the film to land (give or take a few million bucks)."

I think Dwayne Johnson assumed with all your interest in this film you would confirm at least one (1) viewing. If not two.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:17 AM, Dr. Love said:

Saw it this weekend in an empty theater. Love the Rock but zzz

The Rock was in the JSA Movie? 

Who knew?