• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Disagree. The timeline doesn’t match 

There is no hard and fast timeline for the Wizards - just snippets of speculation - in the relevant works by Tolkien. This is one of the areas where a lot of wiggle room was left by Tolkien for others to embellish the story.

There is a timeline for Sauron in this show (and Tolkiens writings) which makes clear the Stranger is not Sauron in hiding.  To the extent there is a timeline for Bombadil in Tolkiens writings it is much more out of wack than that for the Wizards. Could the stranger be Radaghast or another Wizard? Yes. But too many hints suggest Gandalf. We will know as soon as he meets a speaker of Elvish (not likely this season).  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/6/2022 at 3:14 AM, bentbryan said:

Our family had this on VHS and I must have watched it about 8,000 times. It was so different and almost bizarre, compared to the Rankin/Bass Hobbit. It was so frustrating that the story was not continued. 

They made a “Return of the King” cartoon in the same animation style as the Hobbit. It’s been years since I’ve seen it.

edit: It would’ve been better in the “Lord of the Rings” style of animation IMO.

Edited by Catwomancomics

On 10/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, sfcityduck said:

Love your engagement.  No way Elendil is Sauron.

Thanks.

Why can't it be Elendil?

Trailer for episode 8 shows him whining away about everything on his way back to Numenor.

Then there is the clip of Sauron with the Orcs later.

Nick the Orb, pop back to Mordor, kill a few Humans - done deal!

I have no idea who it will be tbh - I'll be pissed if some guy just shows up and goes 'Hi I'm Sauron' lol

On 10/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, Beige said:

Thanks.

Why can't it be Elendil?

Trailer for episode 8 shows him whining away about everything on his way back to Numenor.

Then there is the clip of Sauron with the Orcs later.

Nick the Orb, pop back to Mordor, kill a few Humans - done deal!

I have no idea who it will be tbh - I'll be pissed if some guy just shows up and goes 'Hi I'm Sauron' lol

He's going to say "Hi, I'm Annatar!"

On 10/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, drotto said:

The plot armor is strong in this one (or many of them).  No way anyone would have survived that volcanic blast. Enough force to level and burn houses, but sure 90% of the people are just fine. That was a Pompeii  level event where they were.

In a story about Orcs, Dragons, Elves, supernatural beings, etc., we're worried about whether they were hit by a pyroclastic flow or just an ash cloud and flung lava? Give me a break. It was discharged material from the mountain that set fires, not the ashcloud. The degree of suspension of disbelief necessary to enjoy this scene is not high (certainly not Indiana Jones refrigerator level).

BUT let's use your example. Pompei was just SIX MILES from Vesuvius.  Vesuvius is not a tall mountain.  It is only 4,200 feet high which is about the same height as Mt. Doom.

BUT here is how Vesuvius looks from Pompei:

See the source image

That is a radically different view than that of Mt. Doom waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in the distance from the village:

Farmland with a dormant volcano in the background in The Rings of Power

People watched and described the eruption of Vesuvius from a only a few more miles away than Vesuvius - including Pliny the Elder.  It is a scientific fact that pyroclastic flows stay close to a volcano, the really severe blast zone is also close but extends beyond the pyroclastic flows with blast force and heat dissipating with distance until the blast force is not great enough to knock over trees (or further out even scorch them but the blast is still felt), the zone impacted by ejectments can extend further still, and ash can spread incredibly great distances (I have experienced ash fall from a volcano over 100 miles away).

Again, I really don't think suspension of disbelief is that hard for fans of fantasy featuring giant flying lizards (Are they aerodynamically accurate?  Why don't they explode? etc.).  

In any event, if you want to see someone surviving a RoP type of experience watch this video starting at 1:13:

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/9/2022 at 2:22 PM, sfcityduck said:

In a story about Orcs, Dragons, Elves, supernatural beings, etc., we're worried about whether they were hit by a pyroclastic flow or just an ash cloud and flung lava? Give me a break. It was discharged material from the mountain that set fires, not the ashcloud. The degree of suspension of disbelief necessary to enjoy this scene is not high (certainly not Indiana Jones refrigerator level).

BUT let's use your example. Pompei was just SIX MILES from Vesuvius.  Vesuvius is not a tall mountain.  It is only 4,200 feet high which is about the same height as Mt. Doom.

BUT here is how Vesuvius looks from Pompei:

See the source image

That is a radically different view than that of Mt. Doom waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in the distance from the village:

Farmland with a dormant volcano in the background in The Rings of Power

People watched and described the eruption of Vesuvius from a only a few more miles away than Vesuvius - including Pliny the Elder.  It is a scientific fact that pyroclastic flows stay close to a volcano, the really severe blast zone is also close but extends beyond the pyroclastic flows with blast force and heat dissipating with distance until the blast force is not great enough to knock over trees (or further out even scorch them but the blast is still felt), the zone impacted by ejectments can extend further still, and ash can spread incredibly great distances (I have experienced ash fall from a volcano over 100 miles away).

Again, I really don't think suspension of disbelief is that hard for fans of fantasy featuring giant flying lizards (Are they aerodynamically accurate?  Why don't they explode? etc.).  

In any event, if you want to see someone surviving a RoP type of experience watch this video starting at 1:13:

They showed a billowing wall of fire and a massive shockwave, that knocked down and incinerated houses a few feet from her, and leveled the entire town around them. Basically nothing was left, but the people were relatively unscathed. Watch the scene, it makes no sense. If the fire did not kill them the air would have been unbreathable with ash and intense heat. They would have suffocated or had their lungs seared. The area was blanketed with enough ash to turn bright sunlight into dusk. No being could survive that. 

It does not matter what realistic eruptions may look like.  What they showed with their eruption, was an area engulfed. I was mistaken in my Pompei analogy, what was shown was massively larger. 

On 10/9/2022 at 6:01 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've only seen the 1st 2 episodes 

It might be worth stopping there. They've managed to get me for another hour and the best we've got from it is a spirited discussion on prolonged high thermal and volatile fluxes in relationship to volcanic eruptions. You might be better off reading the Wiki page when it's all done, I wished I had done that instead of invest all this time into the show. Now, I'm pot-stuck on it.

As much money as they've spent on this show, and how bad it is - I wouldn't be surprised if we found out the government actually produced it.

On 10/9/2022 at 6:15 PM, drotto said:

They showed a billowing wall of fire and a massive shockwave, that knocked down and incinerated houses a few feet from her, and leveled the entire town around them. Basically nothing was left, but the people were relatively unscathed. Watch the scene, it makes no sense. If the fire did not kill them the air would have been unbreathable with ash and intense heat. They would have suffocated or had their lungs seared. The area was blanketed with enough ash to turn bright sunlight into dusk. No being could survive that. 

It does not matter what realistic eruptions may look like.  What they showed with their eruption, was an area engulfed. I was mistaken in my Pompei analogy, what was shown was massively larger. 

They showed no heat from the blast wave, which is in fact realistic.  It was the ejections which set things on fire.  People were suffering secondary burns, not burns from the blast wave (which was not a pyroclastic flow).  Mt. St. Helen's was a much worse eruption than Pompei, the pyroclastic flows went about 1/5th the distance of the blast waves.

I'm gonna call it the way I see it: You want to nitpick the show because you have a sports team attitude and to elevate HOD you think you need to push down RoP.  The sad part is this is not sports or politics. Its not a binary competition. Everyone can win in art.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/9/2022 at 9:25 PM, sfcityduck said:

You are in a very small, maybe as small as Qanon sized even, minority.

Really? I talk to about 8 different people regarding this and HoD, and no one can seem to figure out which is the worse show. So, perhaps I am talking with the 8 people on the entire planet who think that both shows are mind-numbingly underwhelming?

If I’m in the minority, then God help modern creative thinking - because both of these shows are so bad that they disrupt the suspension of belief of their story every ten minutes. The litany of problems plaguing both shows would rival the length of Ted Kazinsky’s manifesto.

If you enjoy them, god bless ya - because they both stink.

Edit: I’m clearly not in any sort of minority lol it’s got mediocre ratings across the board.

Edited by Dr. Balls

The show has reached "something to have on while I am working on other stuff" level for me. Something I just go ahead and watch because it is Middle Earth and "loosely" at best based on the books. The writing is horrible and it's unbelievable the music is Howard Shore considering how unappealing it is and how amazing it was in the movies. This show has changed the story and characters so much that if you didn't have the names from characters in the books you'd have no idea it was based on them. They essentially have taken about 4500 years of stuff and crammed it all into what will most likely be a few years. 

At this point it would not surprise me at all if they have Galadriel save Isildur and cut the ring off Sauron's hand at the end of the series. Then Celeborn shows up, "Hey babe I'm actually alive" and now the show can fill the GIANT problem that  you know Celebrian (Elrond's wife) can now be born and Arwen will have existed. 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:33 AM, ianh said:

The show has reached "something to have on while I am working on other stuff" level for me. Something I just go ahead and watch because it is Middle Earth and "loosely" at best based on the books. The writing is horrible and it's unbelievable the music is Howard Shore considering how unappealing it is and how amazing it was in the movies. This show has changed the story and characters so much that if you didn't have the names from characters in the books you'd have no idea it was based on them. They essentially have taken about 4500 years of stuff and crammed it all into what will most likely be a few years. 

At this point it would not surprise me at all if they have Galadriel save Isildur and cut the ring off Sauron's hand at the end of the series. Then Celeborn shows up, "Hey babe I'm actually alive" and now the show can fill the GIANT problem that  you know Celebrian (Elrond's wife) can now be born and Arwen will have existed. 

In Tolkien, Elrond was much older than Celebrian, and Galadriel and Celeborn lived separately at points. These characters lived thousands of years. Again, Tolkien sketched the story and left a lot out.  Not like comics where for many characters every second is documented.