• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, TupennyConan said:

I don't care for him. 

I respect that.

I think what the reference point was concerning is it's his industry. So if he is so concerned with human rights, focus there as well versus what he feels is a more comfortable topic outside of his career.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

I respect that.

I think what the reference point was concerning is it's his industry. So if he is so concerned with human rights, focus there as well versus what he feels is a more comfortable topic outside of his career.

Sure. All hands on deck. I wasn't addressing the merits of the subject at hand. I was simply disparaging Ruffalo & parading about my personal disdain for him. 

On 11/27/2022 at 8:41 AM, TupennyConan said:

Sure. All hands on deck. I wasn't addressing the merits of the subject at hand. I was simply disparaging Ruffalo & parading about my personal disdain for him. 

Right? Don Cheadle would fit this better.

(: :baiting:

On 11/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, TupennyConan said:

I rewatched Fellowship & Two Towers this week for the first time in a long time. I've seen a lot of MCU since last watching them. I'm now of the opinion that LOTR was the CGI/VFX highwater mark, neither matched nor surpassed by anything since.   

It was incredibly well done and we are lucky the producers held on to their drawers and let Jackson go with it

On 11/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, TupennyConan said:

I rewatched Fellowship & Two Towers this week for the first time in a long time. I've seen a lot of MCU since last watching them. I'm now of the opinion that LOTR was the CGI/VFX highwater mark, neither matched nor surpassed by anything since.   

The Balrog still looks mint. I think that Snyder's VFX teams were able to emulate the realism that LotR offered, through most of his movies. LotR is much, much, much more practical effects than CBMs tho.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Balrog still looks mint. I think that Snyder's VFX teams were able to emulate the realism that LotR offered, through most of his movies. LotR is much, much, much more practical effects than CBMs tho.

Agreed.

They cultivated the Shire long before filming. Today's films, like this Avatar sequel or Thor L&T, are greenscreen cartoons, Pixar films in disguise. 

The CGI talent needs the mega contracts, not the actors. All they know how to do is hire personal trainers. 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, TupennyConan said:

Agreed.

They cultivated the Shire long before filming. Today's films, like this Avatar sequel or Thor L&T, are greenscreen cartoons, Pixar films in disguise. 

The CGI talent needs the mega contracts, not the actors. All they know how to do is hire personal trainers. 

I give Black Adam rightful criticism for doing this sometimes.

Directors need at least some set pieces if they're going to use screens. VFX teams need something to stitch and blend with in the background for scale, etc. It's incredible what they did in Man of Steel with the Kryptonian suits.

I loved that JJ Abrams went back to practical effects for The Force Awakens (not sure about Episode 9).

As we know, easier is not always better.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:16 AM, MetalPSI said:

It was incredibly well done and we are lucky the producers held on to their drawers and let Jackson go with it

Counterpoint:  The Hobbit films....

On topic:  Avatar.  Looks like it will at least look good!

On 11/29/2022 at 8:08 AM, Axelrod said:

Fernando approves. 

image.png.ec37848e1bcf389a5fce827acc5f7d00.png

If the spectacle can be framed correctly, even a subjectively terrible movie can be enjoyed once. Viewing the Force Awakens on actual film and projected on a domed IMAX for instance. 

I look forward to Avatar but purely because my expectations are centered around the visual/audio experience with zero expectations for the characters and story. I am sure I will enjoy it once.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:08 AM, Axelrod said:

Counterpoint:  The Hobbit films....

Yeah but wasn't the Hobbit more of the studios doing?  They demanded a trilogy from a 300ish (kids) book.  Plus the original director dropped out forcing Jackson to step in at the last minute.  

Lots of things were wrong with the Hobbit movies but it can't all be put on Jackson.

On 11/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah but wasn't the Hobbit more of the studios doing?  They demanded a trilogy from a 300ish (kids) book.  Plus the original director dropped out forcing Jackson to step in at the last minute.  

Lots of things were wrong with the Hobbit movies but it can't all be put on Jackson.

Well, I don't actually know what was Jackson's decision and what wasn't.  I was more responding to the original poster's suggestion that the reason for the success of the original LOR trilogy was the producers getting out of Jackson's way and letting him do what he wanted.  And it seemed like the Hobbit films were a case study in excess run wild, which could have used someone reigning someone in.  

They made a billion dollars each though, so, who's to really say they were wrong to do it that way, regardless of what we might think of them now.  

It does feel like people want to force themselves to dislike this movie. Any way they can.

But now with the Disney Marketing beast behind this, it will be interesting to see where it can take the film.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

It does feel like people want to force themselves to dislike this movie. Any way they can.

But now with the Disney Marketing beast behind this, it will be interesting to see where it can take the film.

I don't need to force myself to dislike this movie. The first one did it for me. I fell asleep during the first one when they were learning to fly. My girlfriend woke me up and they were still learning to fly, and I'd been asleep for a while. She only woke me because I started snoring in the cinema.