• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2022 at 9:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wow!

That says a lot when you get a reaction from him like that.

Why? Just cause he’s a hotshot video games creator doesnt mean he’s the final word on a movie. He also tweeted positive about Eternals but does that mean everyone is supposed to like it now? Way of Water is a digital eye feast.  Seems obvious a guy of his ilk would be into a movie of this ilk.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Why? Just cause he’s a hotshot video games creator doesnt mean he’s the final word on a movie. He also tweeted positive about Eternals but does that mean everyone is supposed to like it now? Way of Water is a digital eye feast.  Seems obvious a guy of his ilk would be into a movie of this ilk.

Eternals Gets a Middling Review From Death Stranding's Hideo Kojima

Eternals_Kojima.PNG.27d7fbb5dd71fcf6ea2e7e066b544ae4.PNG

On 12/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

A misleading title about a tweet, probably designed to get clicks. “Not a bad one” is positive, not middling. 

The 'not a bad one' was acknowledging taking a different MCU path was not a bad approach. But then it went down from there with his review.

Not to worry. James Cameron still has acknowledged he likes watching Avengers films.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Based on tracking vs Rogue One, $56M made no sense. X-Mas Eves were nearly identical and yet Disney expected Avatar2 to do $5M less on X-Mas day. Now only lagging by 8% with a clear runway for 6 weeks, only $490M isn't anywhere in the picture.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, paperheart said:

Based on tracking vs Rogue One, $56M made no sense. X-Mas Eves were nearly identical and yet Disney expected Avatar2 to do $5M less on X-Mas day. Now only lagging by 8% with a clear runway for 6 weeks, only $490M isn't anywhere in the picture.

Definitely racking in the money.

But does this lead to excitement for Avatar 3?

On 12/27/2022 at 12:09 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

You mad he didn't like Captain Marvel? :shiftyeyes:

On 12/26/2022 at 1:47 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Avatar 3 will be released, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a part 4 or 5.  The fan base isn't invested in this franchise.  

James Cameron said the current story arc comes to somewhat of a conclusion after 3, so it would be an OK stopping place.  If 2 and 2 make in the 1.5 billion range, I can not imagine them not green lighting 4 if not both of them, with the stipulation that they need to get the budgets down.  Which may be possible, if the tech developement, set building, and other infrastructure needed for those movies has essentially been paid for with 2.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, paperheart said:

Megan is a buzzy dark horse.  

-J.

On 12/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, Cat said:

You mad he didn't like Captain Marvel? :shiftyeyes:

No, cause he ain’t the final word on the movie for me. And  Even if no comment means he didn’t like it, he didn’t rudely badmouth it like these YouTube trolls who made thousands of dollars off promoting Captain Marvel hate before the movie even came out. Anyway, That was like three years ago. Captain Marvel is permanently part of the billion dollar plus club and nothing can take that away. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 12/26/2022 at 9:09 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

You're really obsessed with Marvel.

MONDAY PM: Per rival distribution sources –not Disney – Avatar: The Way of Water is +8% to +10% over Sunday’s $29.5M which means a $31.9M to $32.4M Monday which means a $95.9M to $96.4M 4-day weekend. At the high-end, that could beat Rogue One‘s 4-day second weekend of $96.1M. Sequel’s revised cume at the high end would be $294.1M.

Anyone willing to estimate what benefit putting Avatar 2 on Disney+ will have for that streaming service?  I can't even guess how many people will sign up or extend their service contract to see it at home.  $100 Million benefit?

On 12/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, 1Cool said:

Anyone willing to estimate what benefit putting Avatar 2 on Disney+ will have for that streaming service?  I can't even guess how many people will sign up or extend their service contract to see it at home.  $100 Million benefit?

If a film like Black Widow can make a supposed $120M for early screenings, Avatar 2 which is racing to exceed a $1B at the box office should at least be able to bring that much value.

Avatar221227.thumb.PNG.a5169272541b7d5b9c70e9dc3b8ca580.PNG

But the bigger value is the Animal Kingdom attraction and merchandising. That crowds for that area of Disney World were already massive in 2019 when I went with my family.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:19 PM, Bosco685 said:

If a film like Black Widow can make a supposed $120M for early screenings, Avatar 2 which is racing to exceed a $1B at the box office should at least be able to bring that much value.

Avatar221227.thumb.PNG.a5169272541b7d5b9c70e9dc3b8ca580.PNG

But the bigger value is the Animal Kingdom attraction and merchandising. That crowds for that area of Disney World were already massive in 2019 when I went with my family.

But they didn't necessarily need to make the 2nd film to continue to rake in the money from those sources.  I guess there could be a theme water park in the future after this film which would add some serious cash into the coffers.  I think you get my point that box office numbers are just one part of the total profits of a hit movie considering all the ways people watch a movie.  I'd think if Avatar 2 does 4x in box office numbers (looks doable) then it will be a huge success for Disney.

Edited by 1Cool