• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 6:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

That happened fast

2131122144_Screenshot_20221222-0642212.thumb.png.17ddbcf9f99de8f04b1bbe661b475c70.png

Looks like this movie may live or die by the international numbers.  Think it will have good hold in the US, so the domestic will be nothing to sneeze at however.

Yesterday saw Avatar: The Way of Water post the 2nd biggest domestic Wednesday of 2022. Disney’s estimated results for Wednesday, December 21st are $14.3M domestic, $39.5M international, and $53.8M global. The cumulative performance to date brings the film over $600M global with $182.9M domestic, $426.8M international, and $609.7M global.

Edited by Bosco685

I'm beginning to think this is a rather big flop.  The word of mouth on this is almost non-existent, the high frame rate really hasn't caught on or enhanced the film, and there is still 3 more of these movies coming down the road?? 

Is Cameron budgeting these himself ala Lucas with Star Wars?  

I'm not normally one to bet against James Cameron - because I've lost count of the times he's directed a "most expensive movie to-date" that went on to become an iconic blockbuster (I think T2, Titanic and Avatar all qualify).

But...at $350 million, that means break-even is like $1 bn.? 

That's a hell of a bet.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:54 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm not normally one to bet against James Cameron - because I've lost count of the times he's directed a "most expensive movie to-date" that went on to become an iconic blockbuster (I think T2, Titanic and Avatar all qualify).

But...at $350 million, that means break-even is like $1 bn.? 

That's a hell of a bet.

I have heard production costs as high as $400 million.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:32 PM, musicmeta said:

I will see this movie next week.  I really liked the first one so I'm sure this one will be good as well.  Looking forward to it.

I generally would say that if you like the first one, you'll like the second one.  

And also, for those who watch box office, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-release it around the oscars, which should provide some boost.

I went to see it yesterday. After busy workday I just found it boring. Too much about the film is still about like look how incredible this world is that we have created. Also sometimes it reminded me about some current video game like when they attacked the train. Better than Avatar 1. Score 3/5.

I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but watching CNBC last week they were discussing a comment from Cameron that the movie has a $2B break even. Not sure if that has been substantiated anywhere else, but if true it has a way to go.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, kimik said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but watching CNBC last week they were discussing a comment from Cameron that the movie has a $2B break even. Not sure if that has been substantiated anywhere else, but if true it has a way to go.

Yes, it has been mentioned.  The thing ehich is tough with this film is so much of the 3rd film was shot and developed at the same time.  Separating the two budgets is difficult at best.  In addition, the new technology made for these movies will somewhat frontload the budgets, and subsequent films should be cheaper to produce. In theory anyways.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, drotto said:

Yes, it has been mentioned.  The thing ehich is tough with this film is so much of the 3rd film was shot and developed at the same time.  Separating the two budgets is difficult at best.  In addition, the new technology made for these movies will somewhat frontload the budgets, and subsequent films should be cheaper to produce. In theory anyways.

On CNBC they were talking a huge marketing budget for this film as being a big issue.

On 12/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, kimik said:

On CNBC they were talking a huge marketing budget for this film as being a big issue.

The crazy thing is there is so much talk about this film's budget. Including Cameron making that wild statement leading to "must make $2B to break even" fixations.

But I think even if it was to reach $2B there would be new assumptions leading to a greater number necessary. It must come from being the sequel to the biggest film ever in modern times. Older films didn't even have such a massive market to compete in, so tough to compare against them. Though even with a domestic market the largest is clear based on inflation.

What is the highest grossing movie adjusted for inflation

The highest grossing film at the global box office adjusted for inflation is "Gone With the Wind," making a total gross of $3.44 billion, according to Guinness World Records. The historical romance adaptation of the 1936 novel of the same name stars Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh and Leslie Howard. 

On 12/23/2022 at 7:43 PM, Bosco685 said:

well-look-at-you.gif.1605501fbaf14306f03455f24b8987fe.gif

:baiting:

I can be reasonable, and I do actually give things a chance.  This pleasantly surprised me. Does not change the fact that the MCU has been spoon lately except for No Way Home which was great. House of the Dragon was another recent very pleasant surprise, which I really wanted to hate since season 8 of GoT still makes me angry. Yellowstone and its off shoots are also great.  Liked Wednesday also. So yes, there are lots of things I actually like. 

:grin:

On 12/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, drotto said:

I can be reasonable, and I do actually give things a chance.  This pleasantly surprised me. Does not change the fact that the MCU has been spoon lately except for No Way Home which was great. House of the Dragon was another recent very pleasant surprise, which I really wanted to hate since season 8 of GoT still makes me angry. Yellowstone and its off shoots are also great.  Liked Wednesday also. So yes, there are lots of things I actually like. 

:grin:

giphy.gif.443f6edf835d2b1094160fc8182b93a0.gif

:baiting: