• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I get that but a shot in the dark is like saying....IH181 will be 20k in "high grade"...."at some point down the line" or some non specifics along those lines. But with the information provided here

Screenshot_20210604-194818_Chrome.jpg.7f316ede4f476b029a440b18b7eb9bdf.jpg

....you can't help to wonder. The only thing they got wrong was the timing by roughly a year. I mean it's weird...it almost feels like a gag!

Ancient Alien theorists suggest time travelers from the future are among us.  They're rarely proven wrong.  Perhaps the slightly off timing is an effort to throw off pursuit.

25 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

Ancient Alien theorists suggest time travelers from the future are among us.  They're rarely proven wrong.  Perhaps the slightly off timing is an effort to throw off pursuit.

ancient-aliens-1.png

8 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Seriously though, how did you know when that other thread started? Was it really you just guessing right? Just a shot in the dark?... or maybe something caught your attention triggering optimism?

Btw anyone have the Syfy channel right now on the us Eastern time zone there's a movie on now relevant to this thread!

I genuinely felt Hulk 181 had legs to go higher due to the popularity of Wolverine and kind of looked at that against what had already happened to Superman's 1st appearance Action 1 and Batman. I just took a a shot at a number and basically lucked out. I also tend to ignore people who are negative insofar as how long this hobby will last and that's why I knew it would go up....not down...or stay where it is. I'm that way because I've been hearing it ever since I started collecting 40 years ago. 

Also, around the same time there was a thread about the coming demise of comic collecting and remember posting there is always something that happens, that keeps the hobby going. This was (obviously) after Overstreet, cons and CGC but before Disney bought Marvel and obviously way before sports cards collectors got involved in going after high grade 9.8's. Not sure what the next big leap will be, but I'm sure it will be something. 

7 hours ago, ninanina said:

I genuinely felt Hulk 181 had legs to go higher due to the popularity of Wolverine and kind of looked at that against what had already happened to Superman's 1st appearance Action 1 and Batman. I just took a a shot at a number and basically lucked out. I also tend to ignore people who are negative insofar as how long this hobby will last and that's why I knew it would go up....not down...or stay where it is. I'm that way because I've been hearing it ever since I started collecting 40 years ago. 

Also, around the same time there was a thread about the coming demise of comic collecting and remember posting there is always something that happens, that keeps the hobby going. This was (obviously) after Overstreet, cons and CGC but before Disney bought Marvel and obviously way before sports cards collectors got involved in going after high grade 9.8's. Not sure what the next big leap will be, but I'm sure it will be something. 

Well you created a nice estimate for sure :) 

On 6/5/2021 at 1:57 AM, ninanina said:

So what other books do u think have the highest potential to boost up by 2039

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So what other books do u think have the highest potential to boost up by 2039

For GA/SA/BA, it will be the same you already know.  Key first appearances of popular characters and those notoriously hard to get in high grade.  Some key event/creator/artist books.

CA/MA... I think this is where it will get interesting because a lot depends on the next few rounds of movies, shows, and stories in current runs.  People will be nostalgic for what they enjoyed as a kid.  Even with high availability, I expect certain high grade copies of first appearances to move up.  IH181 proves that supply doesn't necessarily limit value if the character is popular enough.  Books in this realm are NM98, Batman Adv 12, possible XM266 if Gambit ever gets quality representation on the screen, UF4, Nyx4, and potentially any Young Avengers firsts if Disney moves the way it looks like they are trying to.  

So hard to gauge these things, but my money is always on characters more so than artists because the characters transcend generations better than artist popularity.  But, hey, I'm not expert... just a guy who loves and has collected comic books for 4 decades.  :P

1 hour ago, mcduckz said:

For GA/SA/BA, it will be the same you already know.  Key first appearances of popular characters and those notoriously hard to get in high grade.  Some key event/creator/artist books.

CA/MA... I think this is where it will get interesting because a lot depends on the next few rounds of movies, shows, and stories in current runs.  People will be nostalgic for what they enjoyed as a kid.  Even with high availability, I expect certain high grade copies of first appearances to move up.  IH181 proves that supply doesn't necessarily limit value if the character is popular enough.  Books in this realm are NM98, Batman Adv 12, possible XM266 if Gambit ever gets quality representation on the screen, UF4, Nyx4, and potentially any Young Avengers firsts if Disney moves the way it looks like they are trying to.  

So hard to gauge these things, but my money is always on characters more so than artists because the characters transcend generations better than artist popularity.  But, hey, I'm not expert... just a guy who loves and has collected comic books for 4 decades.  :P

agreed.  Add Batman Beyond 1 to that list.  That's just waiting for a big breakout.  Rule of 25 soon. 

1 hour ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Anything past Copper, no. This Spider-Gwen, Red Goblin :facepalm:

It might not be of interest to us, but one of these characters that we hate will be uber popular in the future.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:52 PM, ninanina said:

That hulk 181 you own will be a $35,000.00 comic in 20 years so it's good you're keeping it. :preach:

I don't think so. Even if it is, transactions for currency will be so closely monitored that it will be impossible to sell it without incurring the 95% capital gains tax.

I guess it could always be bartered for something,

Latest example why Ebay continues to suck for sellers in comparison to HA, Clink :facepalm:

And why high census keys will never go up in a straight line.

Congratulations to the buyer here. Its their lucky night!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274823725068#vi__app-cvip-panel

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7244-94122.s

On 6/12/2021 at 8:49 PM, MGsimba77 said:

...and possibly since this was a 7 day 99 cent starting price auction, a sign the market is no longer in supercharge mode? 

Bitcoin crashing.  Sports cards  crashing.   We are starting... just wait til everyone starts traveling this summer.  I know I'm saving up for a trip instead of a cgc slab with a hair in it.  

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Bitcoin crashing.  Sports cards  crashing.   We are starting... just wait til everyone starts traveling this summer.  I know I'm saving up for a trip instead of a cgc slab with a hair in it.  

We’re due for a price correction but to say the market is going to crash is absurd.

4 minutes ago, piper said:

We’re due for a price correction but to say the market is going to crash is absurd.

Who knows (shrug), the parabolic growth of some books will surely  lead to the big drop if demand drops  suddenly.  Michael Jordan PSA 10s crashed from 700k to 300k recently.   Why can't comics?