• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

I "only" bought IH 181 because it was one of the titles I bought every month in those days.  The last one I bought was #189, so Wolvy got in under the wire in my collection :blush:.  Wish I'd had more vision on that one.

I do wonder if anyone spends $10,000 on a book just because they "like the character."  That's a real commitment.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:50 PM, piper said:

I finally broke down and bought a copy of this common key (CGC 8.5) at the encouragement (continued insistence) of @Artboy99 a few years ago.  I should have bought 10 copies.

that is one of the risks of spending too much time on the boards- one sometimes ends up believing nonsense if its spouted by more than one or two people, such as "it's a common book, it'll never go up in value."

10 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

that is one of the risks of spending too much time on the boards- one sometimes ends up believing nonsense if its spouted by more than one or two people, such as "it's a common book, it'll never go up in value."

If 5 people want a book with 10 copies, it's too common.

When 20,000 people want a common book and there are only 14,000 slabs, it isn't common enough.

I sold my 8.0 a few months back and did fairly well on it. Given what I wound up doing with the money I don't have any regrets on selling, although I do have the small, curious sadness of knowing that I'll most likely never dive into another copy of this one again.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, alexgross.com said:

Not sure anyone said that. A common book that won't go up in value is a book that has nothing going on in it by way of first appearance or death of a major character. Death is almost always reversed. 1st appearances are not. IH 181 enjoys the status of the paradox. More than enough copies to go around and valuable as heck.

So, here's another data point that may speak to the "red-hot"ness  of this book. Apparently, within the last month, CGC has raised the registry points for a Hulk 181 in 9.8 from 20,800 to 50,000. More than double.

8 minutes ago, djzombi said:

I just checked GoCollect, and it seems my Hulk 181 7.0 just had experienced a huge drop in value over the last 12 hours.  Like, a drop of over $1k.  
Or do I need better glasses?  

You're not telling us any values  that your seeing, looks like it sold fairly well at around $6000, but more qualified 7.0's for not as much than have sold than universal for around $6000

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You're not telling us any values  that your seeing, looks like it sold fairly well at around $6000, but more qualified 7.0's for not as much than have sold than universal for around $6000

As of this writing, GoCollect.com lists a Universal 7.0 as having FMV of $5,000.  I'm fairly certain it was at least $6,000 (or more) when I checked it this AM.  

I posted this in relevance to the topic as a possible sign of cooling down (for now)?  Though that's a big drop.  

The Incredible Hulk #181 (1974) Value - GoCollect

And 7.5 is steadily selling for 7500

Could be the qualified sales on Ebay of 7.0 but surely gocollect would weed those out

14 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

The current CL auction has a 6.5/WP with a bid of $6,501 with a half hour to go.

31 minutes ago, djzombi said:

As of this writing, GoCollect.com lists a Universal 7.0 as having FMV of $5,000.  I'm fairly certain it was at least $6,000 (or more) when I checked it this AM.  

I posted this in relevance to the topic as a possible sign of cooling down (for now)?  Though that's a big drop.  

The Incredible Hulk #181 (1974) Value - GoCollect

To be honest @djzombi try gpanalysis.com

As their try it out feature allows you to use there system for hulk 181....

You can see all sales reported graphs etc. If you give me a minute I can screenshot 

On 5/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, Archaeos said:

Or option 3 which is a little of both.....a huge wolverine fan so has it and has no plan on selling it, but also happy in knowledge that god forbid I ever need money desperately I have something I can generate cash reasonable quick. 

This is me. IH181 has been my grail book since I was a child. Had an opportunity at 11 years old to buy it for $70. Almost got the money from my parents to do so, but then backed out cause for an 11 year old at the time $70 was a lot of money. Plus I didn't get the significance of First Appearance as I had just started collecting Wolverine comics and this was an Incredible Hulk issue. I finally got around to buying a CGC 7.5 for $1,600 in 2016 knowing I'll never sell, but like you said, if I ever find myself needing money, love seeing that a 7.5 sells for around $7,500 plus now. But probably sell sometime in retirement age if at all in a couple decades.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, ninanina said:

That hulk 181 you own will be a $35,000.00 comic in 20 years so it's good you're keeping it. :preach:

Seriously though, how did you know when that other thread started? Was it really you just guessing right? Just a shot in the dark?... or maybe something caught your attention triggering optimism?

Btw anyone have the Syfy channel right now on the us Eastern time zone there's a movie on now relevant to this thread!

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Seriously though, how did you know when that other thread started? Was it really you just guessing right? Just a shot in the dark?... or maybe something caught your attention triggering optimism?

It's mostly - but not entirely - a shot in the dark.  Predictions about the future are a dime a dozen and it's hard to imagine the ones that come to pass do so because someone actually foresaw something rather than just making a good guess based on observable conditions.  I just bought some newer stuff - which I have no interest in really - based on a thread on here where someone made a suggestion about how to determine what will be valuable in 20 or 30 years.  Complete wild asx guess on my part.

38 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

It's mostly - but not entirely - a shot in the dark.  Predictions about the future are a dime a dozen and it's hard to imagine the ones that come to pass do so because someone actually foresaw something rather than just making a good guess based on observable conditions. 

Yeah I get that but a shot in the dark is like saying....IH181 will be 20k in "high grade"...."at some point down the line" or some non specifics along those lines. But with the information provided here

Screenshot_20210604-194818_Chrome.jpg.7f316ede4f476b029a440b18b7eb9bdf.jpg

....you can't help to wonder. The only thing they got wrong was the timing by roughly a year. I mean it's weird...it almost feels like a gag!

Edited by MGsimba77