• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Popeyeak49 said:

I purchased my 9.0 back in late 2013 for a little less than what you paid for your 9.2 and felt EXACTLY the same way. Glad I bought when I did. No way would I pay today’s asking prices. 

Opps...did a double check and I paid for the book in 2012.   Funny thing like yourself, we didn't know it was our last opportunity to get the book at a severely undervalued price.

Yeah I agree 100000000000000000000000000000000000 percent. There is no way I would pay today's prices for the book I have now. :roflmao:

Now and then I may be crazy at times (blue moon), but I'm not insane.  :screwy:

13 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Opps...did a double check and I paid for the book in 2012.   Funny thing like yourself, we didn't know it was our last opportunity to get the book at a severely undervalued price.

Yeah I agree 100000000000000000000000000000000000 percent. There is no way I would pay today's prices for the book I have now. :roflmao:

That must have been a good year to buy.  Around the same time I picked up my 9.6 for just over $4500.  It was a little above market at the time, but that seems to be the only way to ever actually win/buy a Hulk 181.  Didn't fret... it's the one book I always wanted in high grade and even then 9.8 was out of my price range.  Now I'm glad I got it when I did.

6 hours ago, mcduckz said:

That must have been a good year to buy.  Around the same time I picked up my 9.6 for just over $4500.  It was a little above market at the time, but that seems to be the only way to ever actually win/buy a Hulk 181.  Didn't fret... it's the one book I always wanted in high grade and even then 9.8 was out of my price range.  Now I'm glad I got it when I did.

Now look at you.  You've made out like a bandit.  I almost purchased it in 9.6 grade but elected to buy a Giant-size X-1 in 9.6 instead.

You're right. In retrospect it was an excellent time to buy.  I think the only way these books come out of the heavens in price is through an economic recession.  

18 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

I think the only way these books come out of the heavens in price is through an economic recession.  

That's interesting. Comics and collectibles saw a big uptick during the housing debacle and recently during COVID. Seemed like the stock market took it in the pants and people were afraid to reinvest in it for a bit and turned to the collectibles market. What I wonder is if prices or values or whatever it's called now softened some or at least leveled off as the stock market regained vitality between 2008 and 2019. It was onlyn a few years ago IH 181 was in reach between 9.0 and 9.4.

20 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Well yeah it makes sense for you to say that now because you own a high grade. Put yourself in the mindset of someone who craves this book with plenty of affluence and it's a different story entirely. 

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well yeah it makes sense for you to say that now because you own a high grade. Put yourself in the mindset of someone who craves this book with plenty of affluence and it's a different story entirely. 

Well if they have plenty of affluence then it shouldn't be an issue getting a copy then right?  If I'm understanding you correctly?

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

That's interesting. Comics and collectibles saw a big uptick during the housing debacle and recently during COVID. Seemed like the stock market took it in the pants and people were afraid to reinvest in it for a bit and turned to the collectibles market. What I wonder is if prices or values or whatever it's called now softened some or at least leveled off as the stock market regained vitality between 2008 and 2019. It was onlyn a few years ago IH 181 was in reach between 9.0 and 9.4.

What I remembered during that time was prices softened in the comics market.....not sure what happened in collectibles as a whole. 

What is your assessment as to "being in reach" to acquiring a IH 181 in the grades you mentioned a few years ago?  Price range? 

On 5/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, MB1952 said:

this book is insane sold a cgc 6.0 for 2k. try selling it on FB for 2.5k no takers and low balls offer. finally sold on bay for 2k. now is worth 6.5k :pullhair:

I bought my current 6.5 for $2200. At the time i felt i was over paying so the seller threw in a “freebie”. That freebie: FF49. Was off blowout cards forum, if seller is in here, ill buy ya drinks at the next comic con. 

Edited by cujobyte

8 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Well if they have plenty of affluence then it shouldn't be an issue getting a copy then right?  If I'm understanding you correctly?

Yeah ofcourse I was just getting at the willingness part. I just don't necessarily think it's an insane decision from their point of view. But hey at the end of the day whether someone thinks insanity is required to spend 30k + on a collectors item is relative. Maybe some non collectors look at you funny others no?

8 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

What I remembered during that time was prices softened in the comics market.....not sure what happened in collectibles as a whole. 

What is your assessment as to "being in reach" to acquiring a IH 181 in the grades you mentioned a few years ago?  Price range? 

Well, being able to get a 9.0 graded for $3500 or less. I mean reachable is a relative term I know. But now $20,000 for a 9.0? That is not reachable.

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah ofcourse I was just getting at the willingness part. I just don't necessarily think it's an insane decision from their point of view. But hey at the end of the day whether someone thinks insanity is required to spend 30k + on a collectors item is relative. Maybe some non collectors look at you funny others no?

Yeah I see what you're getting at.  For most who are affluent and they want the book, money isn't really an issue.

I And even though I'm wealthier than most, I'm also frugal, which is the reason I'm better off than most.  It's that frugality that's hard to turn off sometime.  But I did turn it off (or so I thought) when I spent 2k for my IH -181.

Even though I can afford today's prices in any grade, I can't see myself pulling the trigger. 

But like you stated, others will do it because...we'll they can (HG) and it's a big desire to fulfill to have one.  

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Well, being able to get a 9.0 graded for $3500 or less. I mean reachable is a relative term I know. But now $20,000 for a 9.0? That is not reachable.

But even if it was reachable, and I mean just within reach, would you spend 20k and buy it?

6 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

But even if it was reachable, and I mean just within reach, would you spend 20k and buy it?

No, Thor's hammer. I would not. It is not a rare book. Hundreds and thousands of copies available. This is ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT A JUDGMENT.

I would spend 20k on a Golden Age book. I could get a snappin' Batman #9 or 11 for that money. True rarity. True pride of ownership. I understand why people want IH 181. They are Marvel fans, Wolverine fans and fans of money. I imagine many simply want one to say they have one. Be part of the club. I never had a burning desire to stand next to the IH 181 fire. I respect the book but it isn't important enough to me to shell $20k.

That fact seems to be it's simply the buyers who are driving the prices. Willing to pay terrible sums to say "I own an IH 181". Telling sellers "I'll lpay anything you ask! Just GIMME! My ego DEMANDS it!"

Batman #9 was the last time Joker killed until Bat 251. That's more relevant to me. And it's a tough cover and hard to get in high grade. Just look at those newly graded Golden age books that are being talked about here. Those things are truly rare. And works of art.

A few years ago, I approached my wife and said "I'd like to get this 9.0 IH 181 book. It's $3700. It's going up in value." I was told no and then felt "whatever". Didn't revisit it again.

So, I watched the prices go up. I didn't feel much. That told me it was pretty much a money thing that I would have applied to the book. I just don't value money that much. I value the books. I bought a 7.0 All Star Comics #7 instead. IMO, it's a key that's more relevant than Wolverines 1st app.

More power to the buyers of IH 181. I don't hope it crashes in value. I just don't understand why people would shell out that kind of dough for a common book. I really think it's the buyers who are causing the price spikes. Not the book itself. It's a bandwagon book.

23 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

No, Thor's hammer. I would not. It is not a rare book. Hundreds and thousands of copies available. This is ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT A JUDGMENT.

I would spend 20k on a Golden Age book. I could get a snappin' Batman #9 or 11 for that money. True rarity. True pride of ownership. I understand why people want IH 181. They are Marvel fans, Wolverine fans and fans of money. I imagine many simply want one to say they have one. Be part of the club. I never had a burning desire to stand next to the IH 181 fire. I respect the book but it isn't important enough to me to shell $20k.

That fact seems to be it's simply the buyers who are driving the prices. Willing to pay terrible sums to say "I own an IH 181". Telling sellers "I'll lpay anything you ask! Just GIMME! My ego DEMANDS it!"

Batman #9 was the last time Joker killed until Bat 251. That's more relevant to me. And it's a tough cover and hard to get in high grade. Just look at those newly graded Golden age books that are being talked about here. Those things are truly rare. And works of art.

A few years ago, I approached my wife and said "I'd like to get this 9.0 IH 181 book. It's $3700. It's going up in value." I was told no and then felt "whatever". Didn't revisit it again.

So, I watched the prices go up. I didn't feel much. That told me it was pretty much a money thing that I would have applied to the book. I just don't value money that much. I value the books. I bought a 7.0 All Star Comics #7 instead. IMO, it's a key that's more relevant than Wolverines 1st app.

More power to the buyers of IH 181. I don't hope it crashes in value. I just don't understand why people would shell out that kind of dough for a common book. I really think it's the buyers who are causing the price spikes. Not the book itself. It's a bandwagon book.

The value of IH 181 is simply supply and demand...they are very liquid and in demand, more so than the Batman’s you mentioned...if you have 3M of something and 4M people want them, it drives prices higher...economics 101...like anything else, it’s value is what someone is willing to pay for it...

Just now, JTD said:

The value of IH 181 is simply supply and demand...they are very liquid and in demand, more so than the Batman’s you mentioned...if you have 3M of something and 4M people want them, it drives prices higher...economics 101...like anything else, it’s value is what someone is willing to pay for it...

That sort of reinforces my initial point. There really IS no shortage of IH 181. Anyone who wants one can have one. Unfortunately, the buyers are the ones driving up the "value". The demand is being created by the "IH 181 Fever". I have to ask: How many people actually WANT and LOVE the book to have v WANTING to see a RETURN on their INVESTMENT? The answer isn't "Well, people can do BOTH!" Sure they can. The question is how many people making up the buying pool are simply looking for a payday a year or two from now? When prices stabilize to the point of neutral, the market will be flooded with a book that's easy to get.

The question I was asked is if I was to spend $20k, would it be on a common, easily attainable comic? No. $20k is a lot of money. I'd buy something with actual rarity and frankly more of a "cool" factor. Something with style and class. The Batman books I mentioned are in demand in mid-high/high grade. 11 especially is seeing a rise in value. The difference is there aren't a zillion copies available to choose from.

37 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

The difference is there aren't a zillion copies available to choose from.

To be honest, Hulk #181 is probably the most common comic book from that era that I've ever seen. It's like they did a triple print run just for the occasion...

11 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

To be honest, Hulk #181 is probably the most common comic book from that era that I've ever seen. It's like they did a triple print run just for the occasion...

That would be a great research project. The Wolverine character WAS the result of that boy winning for his submitted entry of a new character. That's a good point. Even here on the boards, people are pulling raw IH 181's out of a hat. Then, there was the rumor about someone holding cases of the book found in a warehouse.

2 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

That would be a great research project. The Wolverine character WAS the result of that boy winning for his submitted entry of a new character. That's a good point. Even here on the boards, people are pulling raw IH 181's out of a hat. Then, there was the rumor about someone holding cases of the book found in a warehouse.

hm