• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2022 at 6:54 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IDK, that's always been part of the fun with every trailer. Whether or not I'm right about the trailer(s) doesn't affect how good the movie is to me, though. The MoM teaser looked okay, but this trailer was pretty sick, and not necessarily because of Professor X or Superior Iron Man/Kang. The Illuminati will probably be pretty sweet if they are in this.

We're about to have our 6th Batman in 30 years. When it comes down to the CBM genre, I just don't think that is as interesting as a Doctor Strange sequel right now, and I think that the B.O. will show that. Not a prediction based on quality, rather it's just based on which one I think is more attractive to audiences right now.

I dunno, The Joker made a billion dollars just before the pandemic hit. Batman is at least as popular as Spider-Man and I think The Batman looks like it will more universal appeal than the R rated Joker. Dr. Strange will be a smash, but he's no Batman. Marvel has to cram all of these characters in a movie to make them interesting for fans. The first Dr. Strange didn't even do 300 million domestically at the box office(I loved it though). I would rather see a good solo Steven Strange adventure than another Marvel rally.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, MattTheDuck said:

FWIW, I think people are much more interested in story telling than they are the number of characters portrayed.  Eternals certainly showed star power alone can't overcome bad writing.  I expect "The Batman" to do well if it's well written - it has Batman's built-in fan base and even Robert Pattinson has fans that will see anything he's in for some reason.  But if it's badly written, people will not go more than once, which is the best way to make a movie really huge.  The same applies to MoM - if the story's good, it will be a gigantic hit.  If not, I still expect it will do well, but it will lag other big Marvel hits.

If a movie is bad, people won't go see it again nor will they encourage their contacts to see it.

noted.gif.f0daf2b68cbc51e9dae6e43a10589bad.gif

I think that right now that many movies are going to be dependent on word of mouth advertising.

There is still a detraction to attending a movie in a theater:

• That whole event that started in March 2020 continues to have people stay away.  Agree or disagree with it, people are staying away.
  • Why watch a movie for nearly $20 a ticket when I can wait a couple of months and stream it for free if I have the right subscription or rent it for less? 

I used to see each Marvel movie on night one at a theater.  I watched Black Widow, Shang Chi, and the Eternals from home once it was 'free' on Disney+.   I 'felt' the excitement of Spider-man and needed to see it.  Is Doctor Strange worthy of a trip to the theater?  Probably but only because I want to experience it without all of the spoilers. 

Is Batman theater worthy?  I can tell you that a few of my coworkers who are casually interested in comic book movies said the trailers are fascinating and he likes what he sees and wants to go as soon as it opens.  

This is tricky but good for cinema... so in this case I think it is not even really worth a debate.  Both movies look very good.  They look 'fun' and will draw big monies. 

On 2/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Buzzetta said:

Why watch a movie for nearly $20 a ticket when I can wait a couple of months and stream it for free if I have the right subscription or rent it for less? 

Hell, you can own it on blu-ray for almost the same price.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Buzzetta said:

There is still a detraction to attending a movie in a theater:

• That whole event that started in March 2020 continues to have people stay away.  Agree or disagree with it, people are staying away.
  • Why watch a movie for nearly $20 a ticket when I can wait a couple of months and stream it for free if I have the right subscription or rent it for less? 

Or the dreaded option 3...

Auto-Pirate.gif.1f0ad9e61f8e409503a48f24d18ed46c.gif

*(not my reccomend course as I do not condone such behavior. )

On 2/17/2022 at 6:12 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Or the dreaded option 3...

Auto-Pirate.gif.1f0ad9e61f8e409503a48f24d18ed46c.gif

*(not my reccomend course as I do not condone such behavior. )

I might have watched Ghostbusters while at my computer.   I might have enjoyed it a lot. 

Now I have a really cool cool mail call thing that just arrived that I have to go post... 
Do I post it in OA or This Week in Your Collection or the GI Joe thread?  

hm 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 2/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

Now I have a really cool cool mail call thing that just arrived that I have to go post... 
Do I post it in OA or This Week in Your Collection or the GI Joe thread?  

hm 

All of them !

Share the Joy!

On 2/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, Buzzetta said:

a few of my coworkers who are casually interested in comic book movies said the trailers are fascinating and he likes what he sees and wants to go as soon as it opens.  

maybe his multiple personalities are intrigued by the Batman mythology

my young adult daughters are way in for Batman, but generally burnt out on Marvel

A. "That whole event that started in March 2020 continues to have people stay away.  Agree or disagree with it, people are staying away. 

B. "Why watch a movie for nearly $20 a ticket when I can wait a couple of months and stream it for free if I have the right subscription or rent it for less?"

A. I agree this is relevant in general and is a ways from being repaired completely (if it ever is) but it sure didn't seem to keep people away from NWH.  I shudder to think of what the box office would have been if tens of thousands had shown up who otherwise didn't go due to Covid.

B. Due to a membership program and a discounted matinee, my daughter and I saw NWH the 2nd time and bought our usual concessions for less than $20.  Regardless, the theater experience is always superior to the home experience.  There are definitely movies I don't care enough about to spend theater money on and don't need to see immediately and am just as happy watching them via streaming.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

A. "That whole event that started in March 2020 continues to have people stay away.  Agree or disagree with it, people are staying away. 

B. "Why watch a movie for nearly $20 a ticket when I can wait a couple of months and stream it for free if I have the right subscription or rent it for less?"

A. I agree this is relevant in general and is a ways from being repaired completely (if it ever is) but it sure didn't seem to keep people away from NWH.  I shudder to think of what the box office would have been if tens of thousands had shown up who otherwise didn't go due to Covid.

B. Due to a membership program and a discounted matinee, my daughter and I saw NWH the 2nd time and bought our usual concessions for less than $20.  Regardless, the theater experience is always superior to the home experience.  There are definitely movies I don't care enough about to spend theater money on and don't need to see immediately and am just as happy watching them via streaming.

I’ve mentioned that NWH was the first time I’ve been in a theater since 2019.  That was just a must see movie given the ambition of the film. 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:14 PM, Larryw7 said:

I dunno, The Joker made a billion dollars just before the pandemic hit. Batman is at least as popular as Spider-Man and I think The Batman looks like it will more universal appeal than the R rated Joker. Dr. Strange will be a smash, but he's no Batman. Marvel has to cram all of these characters in a movie to make them interesting for fans. The first Dr. Strange didn't even do 300 million domestically at the box office(I loved it though). I would rather see a good solo Steven Strange adventure than another Marvel rally.

I really don't think that they have to.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Regardless, the theater experience is always superior to the home experience. 

The last time I went to the theater (No Way Home), the people around me arrived late, made tons of noise with wrappers, chatted amongst themselves during the movie, and left before the extra scenes in the credits.

Basically, all the things you would be justified in dropkicking people in your house for doing.  Except, you have to act like it's fine and "always superior to the home experience". :kidaround:

On 2/18/2022 at 11:38 AM, valiantman said:

The last time I went to the theater (No Way Home), the people around me arrived late, made tons of noise with wrappers, chatted amongst themselves during the movie, and left before the extra scenes in the credits.

Basically, all the things you would be justified in dropkicking people in your house for doing.  Except, you have to act like it's fine and "always superior to the home experience". :kidaround:

I don't think that Matt goes to theaters in The Ghetto.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that Matt goes to theaters in The Ghetto.

I'm pretty sure there are no Ghettos in Arkansas. We barely have a downtown... anywhere.

Actually, now that I think about it... every comment that I made would also apply perfectly to millionaire Real Housewives of Overacting and their kids.

"arrived late, made tons of noise with wrappers, chatted amongst themselves during the movie, and left before the extra scenes"

Edited by valiantman