• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 6:53 AM, Buzzetta said:

BTW.... some background on the Dr Strange Address... 

https://www.villagepreservation.org/2021/06/02/strange-spot-on-bleecker-street/

A ‘Strange’ Spot, on Bleecker Street

POSTED JUNE 2, 2021

BY DAVID HERMAN

You’re walking along Bleecker Street in the heart of Greenwich Village when the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. You feel all sorts of magic surrounding you, as if you’re at the nexus of mystical energies coming at you from all corners of the globe. You spy an elegant three-story brownstone on the corner, with a large circular skylight almost staring at you on its mansard roof. You’ve arrived at your destination: 177A Bleecker Street, better known as the Sanctum Sanctorum, and home to the famed sorcerer-hero, Dr. Strange.

sanctum-sanctorum-original-modern-movie- The Sanctum Sanctorum in its first appearance (upper left), a more modern version, and from the 2016 film, Dr. Strange.

Of course, that means you’re also walking through a fictional world, one populated by the heroes and villains of Marvel Comics — in print, and more recently the Marvel Cinematic Universe on screen. And while there’s no 177A on Bleecker in our New York City, there is indeed a very real building today at 177 Bleecker that ties into the history of the Sorcerer Supreme.

No. 177 Bleecker Street is no massive townhouse on a corner, but instead one of four handsome red brick tenements between MacDougal and Sullivan Streets, each five stories tall with retail on the ground floor (current occupant of 177’s ground floor is a not-so-magical bodega.) Included in both the local and national South Village Historic Districts, 171-177 Bleecker Street was built in 1887 for an owner named Isidor S. Korn, and designed by Alexander I. Finkle, a New Orleans-born architect whose work can also be seen in other Manhattan buildings (nearby at 34 and 36 East 4th Street, 7 East 3rd Street, and 58 East 4th Street; on the Upper West Side, a row of Queen Anne houses on West 78th Street between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues). Finkle’s design was typical of Victorian-era tenements in the South Village: old-law “dumbbell” configurations (as seen from above), with very small indentations in the center to allow a minimum of light and air into some interior rooms.

177-Bleecker-1940s-and-today-1400x856.jp 177 Bleecker in the 1940s (left) and today

It wasn’t until the 1960s that 177 Bleecker became associated with superheroes and the mystic arts. Dr. Strange’s first appearance in comics came in Strange Tales #110, dated April 1963, and creators Stan Lee and Greenwich Village resident Steve Ditko placed him in the heart of the neighborhood. His exact address was unknown until September 1969’s Doctor Strange #182, when writer-editor Roy Thomas showed a telegram being delivered to one Dr. Stephen Strange, M.D. at 177A Bleecker Street. Thomas had lived at the real 177 for a brief period in the mid-1960s, as did famed Marvel comic artist Bill Everett.

“The address which is now listed over its doorway as ‘177’ Bleecker Street was, in 1965-66, ‘177A’ Bleecker Street,” Thomas told Bedford + Bowery in 2014. “At one time I thought it was Bill who had used the address for Marvel’s hero magician Dr. Strange, which he sometimes drew and I sometimes wrote. But I later realized it was I who had done it. Dr. Strange lived in Greenwich Village, according to the comics, so, despite the impossibility of his unique mansion fitting into that space (but he was a wizard, right?), I gave it that address.”

177a-bleecker-dr-strange-182.jpg

That puts an end to the mystery of the real 177 and fictional 177A. Or does it? Not according to Google Maps, where a search for the Sanctum Sanctorum sites it right on our own Bleecker Street. Perhaps there’s more behind that Queen Anne facade than our nonmagical eyes can see.

benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-goog Perhaps Benedict Cumberbatch, who played the title sorcerer in 2016’s Dr. Strange, can find the Sanctum using Google Maps.

When we were in NYC a few years ago (and specifically Greenwich Village), we took the kids past 177 Bleeker.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:41 AM, Buzzetta said:

It's a Sam Raimi movie...

What part is Bruce Campbell playing? 

Actually I am going to double down on this... 

You know what would ACTUALLY make sense?

What if Bruce Campbell plays a guy that is working for the Watchers like a certain someone was to explain all of his cameos in all the other movies? 

Gunn confessed: "I stole the idea from fan theories on Twitter, which I thought were hilarious."

On 2/21/2022 at 9:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

Grogu.thumb.jpg.098c783ea6ffa10d65c7f27fa7a1f233.jpg

Grogu too

On 2/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, bentbryan said:

The way I see it they have some good options for a Bruce cameo. 

Have him in traffic somewhere driving the Love Bug. Herbie!!!

If there is a Zombie Strange have him as Ash ( Chainsaw Hand and Boomstick.)

Or a Background Bookstore trying to do a signing (with no one there ) for his book Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 2/21/2022 at 11:50 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The way I see it they have some good options for a Bruce cameo. 

Have him in traffic somewhere driving the Love Bug. Herbie!!!

If there is a Zombie Strange have him as Ash ( Chainsaw Hand and Boomstick.)

Or a Background Bookstore trying to do a signing (with no one there ) for his book Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way. 

C73447A7-3BD0-4A9E-A015-8232D4A05960.jpeg

If this actually happens, audiences will lose their minds. 

hm Or if Yoda himself sits at one of the chairs on the Illuminati council. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 12.03.59 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

You know, I usually don't care much about superhero movies one way or another, but I DO care about SAM RAIMI HORROR MOVIES. And the trailers definitely have some of that old fashioned Sam camera flair. I can't wait. I'm sure we're getting Bruce, but the real question is: how are they going to work the Delta 88/"The Classic" into it???

On 2/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, F For Fake said:

You know, I usually don't care much about superhero movies one way or another, but I DO care about SAM RAIMI HORROR MOVIES. And the trailers definitely have some of that old fashioned Sam camera flair. I can't wait. I'm sure we're getting Bruce, but the real question is: how are they going to work the Delta 88/"The Classic" into it???

Just drop that bad Larry right in there. 

4458C42C-1AF7-4396-9D14-9B5D24A2E236.gif

On 2/20/2022 at 3:03 AM, fantastic_four said:

I don't recall competing with or sharing hostility with anyone on the road.  I speed, but not competitively, and my mind is almost always somewhere else listening to podcasts.

The funniest moment I've had is someone in a sports car was weaving and bobbing through cars on a 2-lane highway where the speed limit was 65 at somewhere near 100.  They had a personalized license that read PWNED, which told me they were a HIGHLY competitive driver.  About five minutes after they blew past me I saw them pulled over on the side of the road by a cop, so the obvious thought occurred immediately to me--yep, you just got pwned.  lol

It also tells me they live in 2007 when people last used that term. 

Should have thought that one out, mate.