• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 12:19 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Honestly Black Bolt is a pretty silly character, not one I really care to see translated to TV/film.  Incredibly difficult to make a mainstream audience take him seriously.

I appreciate that but it can also be said with a straight face about all these characters. 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:53 PM, TupennyConan said:

I appreciate that but it can also be said with a straight face about all these characters. 

I don't disagree.  But we're talking about someone who, in theory, can't speak without destroying everything and everyone around him.  If his power set were given to a completely alien, unique being -- it could be anything, from a giant robot to a head floating in a tank, to a ghost, a demon, whatever -- that would just be another crazy being that the main characters have to deal with.  However, once you make him a man -- and you ask audiences to believe he has a wife and family, and bodily functions, and a kingdom to rule that requires him to interact like any social being, it all falls apart.  Everyone is just sitting there imagining how he manages not to vaporize his wife when they make sexy time.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 6/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't disagree.  But we're talking about someone who, in theory, can't speak without destroying everything and everyone around him.  If his power set were given to a completely alien, unique being -- it could be anything, from a giant robot to a head floating in a tank, to a ghost, a demon, whatever -- that would just be another crazy being that the main characters have to deal with.  However, once you make him a man -- and you ask audiences to believe he has a wife and family, and bodily functions, and a kingdom to rule that requires him to interact like any social being, it all falls apart.  Everyone is just sitting there imagining how he manages not to vaporize his wife when they make sexy time.

lollollol 

Great post. It also gives me the rare chance to deploy one of my most cherished expressions: envatted brain. 

On 6/2/2022 at 1:18 PM, TupennyConan said:

I suppose the Supreme Intelligence is kinda like an envatted brain. 

Used it 2x & it's not even happy hour. 

Exactly -- the Supreme Intelligence (another Kirby creation) is one of the characters I was thinking about.  Or the Living Tribunal or Dormammu or the Celestials or any number of other beings ... if you said that any of those can never speak without laying waste to everyone around them, IMHO it would ironically cause less suspension of disbelief.

On 6/2/2022 at 8:28 AM, Buzzetta said:

Coworker question that I don’t know the answer to…

Why did Black Bolt’s head explode even though he is supposed to be immune to his own powers?

because the movie makers needed a comedic moment at that specific slot in the film's runtime so they made a goofball of Black Bolt so the audience will laugh. Didn't like that scene at all, and I am not a fan of Black Bolt.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, Artboy99 said:

because the movie makers needed a comedic moment at that specific slot in the film's runtime so they made a goofball of Black Bolt so the audience will laugh. Didn't like that scene at all, and I am not a fan of Black Bolt.

Agreed. I'm not much of a Black Bolt fan either but presumably Disney is or was up until that decision to make him a joke. 

On 6/2/2022 at 11:40 AM, TupennyConan said:

This has been my focus since day one. Who will give a carp about Mr Fantastic now? Didn't Disney just pay FOX $70B for Reed Ricards? Isn't he now just that dead spaghetti dude, you know, the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who told Wanda how to kill Black Bolt.

FB_IMG_1653458464289.jpg.4df499c8d11e9402c98cbd2fe8be494a.jpg

On 6/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

FB_IMG_1653458464289.jpg.4df499c8d11e9402c98cbd2fe8be494a.jpg

My only point is Richards. Can someone please make him a good character? What the heck. Think how square he was in the Silver Age, the Bronze Age, the 80's, [skip], the 2000's, [skip], [skip].  

On 6/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, Artboy99 said:

I don't see humor as the intention. I could see The Illuminati as the reason Scott Derrickson didn't want to direct this sequel (possible studio mandate, which is why he left over "creative differences"). I think they wanted to give us the cameos without putting in the effort to make us care about the characters first (other than Xavier), so they could point to a cool fan moment, but didn't consider the potential consequences of killing them off so suddenly. It makes doubly no sense considering that Scarlet Witch seems to have just offed herself. They were trying to portray how powerful she was with The Darkhold, but using the Illuminati as disposable heroes for that message isn't sitting right with many. While I still enjoy the scene, it continually gets worse and worse from a logical perspective.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see humor as the intention. I could see The Illuminati as the reason Scott Derrickson didn't want to direct this sequel (possible studio mandate, which is why he left over "creative differences"). I think they wanted to give us the cameos without putting in the effort to make us care about the characters first (other than Xavier), so they could point to a cool fan moment, but didn't consider the potential consequences of killing them off so suddenly. It makes doubly no sense considering that Scarlet Witch seems to have just offed herself. They were trying to portray how powerful she was with The Darkhold, but using the Illuminati as disposable heroes for that message isn't sitting right with many. While I still enjoy the scene, it continually gets worse and worse from a logical perspective.

I don't want to keep crapping on this movie but I agree that the more I sit with it, the worse the story is.

Just take a moment to ask why Wanda was clearly willing to to tear the multiverse apart, and even murder alternate versions of her own self, to be with two children that she knew were figments of her imagination and could therefore be recreated through the even greater power she now possessed.

And then take another moment to ask why a woman who was defined by her grief over the loss of her brother and husband didn't seem to care even one bit about finding a universe in which she could be reunited with either of them.  (Or heck, the family and home she lost as a child.)  IIRC Quicksilver isn't mentioned in the movie once, and Vision gets mentioned exactly one time during the silly exposition while she's walking in the fake garden with Strange at the start of the film.

Personally I think they did a grave disservice to Wanda, and that's not meant to take anything away from a great performance by Elizabeth Olsen.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Personally I think they did a grave disservice to Wanda, and that's not meant to take anything away from a great performance by Elizabeth Olsen.

Who did this movie even do any service to? Doctor Strange takes a backseat to the Scarlet Witch with a cheesy story about his regretful love life, who you mentioned (Wanda) is butchered herself, Wong is a complete imbecile, the most powerful telepath in the universe is bested by someone who was manipulated by an amateur in Agatha, Chavez is just a MacGuffin, Mordo (the Sorcerer Supreme of his universe) just gets left in a room, and the list goes on and on...

I also don't want to just deuce all over the movie. I love the horror elements so much. I'm just left here wondering how this ended up feeling like the dumbest movie that the MCU has produced. It's not the worst movie, but it's so damn stupid.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:02 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

FB_IMG_1654219711374.jpg.cc85b43a90cbda8818febd1ecc35622d.jpg

Yes, that sums it up perfectly.   The whole motivation for the villain is flimsy,so the rest of the movie suffers.

After reading through everyone's comments, I'm left thinking Sam just didn't really "get" super-hero characters, or at least his portion of the writing input.   He's use to dealing with bare-bone character's, and building the story around them, in an ever increasing manner.   The MCU is the opposite.    They arrive fully loaded, but all them of them so clumsily put together, with their own actions, and interactions with one another.    It was frustrating to see, for all of us.