• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, Straw-Man said:

they had china; this film goes way past 1B with china.  this post is not commenting on the quality of the film at all, but there is no doubt that it would have gone past the mark if "pre-pandemic" china was in play like with captain marvel and other 1B "similarly placed" mcu flicks.   no way a "miss" imo; they had to be worried it might take a b.w., eternals, shang-chi kind of trajectory.

China argument is baorderline weak also.  Spider-Man had no China and Maverick has no China and both reached or will reach 1 billion.

I said it was a mild miss and I stand by that.  Plus, it is the second most devisive MCU film after Captian Marvel at this point.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:11 AM, davidpg said:

Watched this movie last night.   Gotta say, it really wasn't very good.  It didn't push any storylines forward, acting overall wasn't great and a lot of questionable choices wwre made (as already discussed on this thread).

I really was a HUGE fane of the first wave of MCU movies, and was genuinely excited for each release.  All of the latest wave of movies, while being moneymakers, have been really not good (except Spider-Man...there were issues with that one to though).  Here's hoping the new Thor will buck the trend...

I'll just quote this post to save me from some typing

however, I don't think Thor L&T will be good at all .... not a fan at all of Taika Waititi's forced humor and how they made Thor a bumbling fool 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

is the version on Disney an extended version? there are some scenes that i don't remember from my first viewing

The Disney+ site does say that the runtime is 1 minute longer. That could be for logos and additional credits, though. What scenes in particular?

On 6/23/2022 at 6:53 AM, drotto said:

This movie did well and is absolutely profitable.   I will contend that after Spider-Man made 1.8 billion, that this movie missing the 1 billion mark could be considered a mild miss.  I say this because the MCU really tried to make this the focal point movie so far for phase 4, and other MCU films similarly placed have been making 1 billion look easy. Yes, we are no longer in the Pandemic era of movies, deal with it.

If this was a mild miss I'm wondering what you think Batman was ?

-J.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, Jaydogrules said:

"I'm going to compare two super hero movies that were released within 4 months of each other"

FTFY (thumbsu

-J.

It's the silliest comparison because you are assuming they are on equal footing within an established franchise and linked follow-up stories.

They aren't!

-Someonethatcanthinkandchewgum

On 6/25/2022 at 9:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's the silliest comparison because you are assuming they are on equal footing within an established franchise and linked follow-up stories.

They aren't!

-Someonethatcanthinkandchewgum

None of that is a valid reason to prevent comparison.  

-J.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:22 PM, Jaydogrules said:

None of that is a valid reason to prevent comparison.  

-J.

It is a somewhat valid comparison given they should draw from a similar fan base.  The Batman is a little inaccurate because it is essentially yet another Batman reboot, it was long delayed, had controversial casting chooses, and is not attached to an establish universe.  Dr Strange 2 is a mild miss because....

1. It is in the firmly established MCU with a built in fanbase

2. It is the follow up film to Spider-Man which did 1.8 billion

3. It is to this point, the first true continuing storyline film of phase 4 (yes SM had this to a degree, but it was really a side story).  

4. It has two very popular very established characters with high profile leads.

5.  It was positioned as the first essential movie in phase 4.

6. It is the first true post pandemic film.

7. It is also a sequel to WandaVision. 

8. It has more member berries than anything ever filmed.

9. If Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Thor 3, cracked 1 billion.  You can easily make an argument that this should have.

I say this is a disappointment the same way That Batman v Superman was a disappointment in failing to reach 1 billion, but certainly did well at the box office.

Edited by drotto

On 6/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, drotto said:

It is a somewhat valid comparison given they should draw from a similar fan base.  The Batman is a little inaccurate because it is essentially yet another Batman reboot, it was long delayed, had controversial casting chooses, and is not attached to an establish universe.  Dr Strange 2 is a mild miss because....

3. It is to this point, the first true continuing storyline film of phase 4 (yes SM had this to a degree, but it was really a side story).  

9. If Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Thor 3, cracked 1 billion.  You can easily make an argument that this should have.

I say this is a disappointment the same way That Batman v Superman was a disappointment in failing to reach 1 billion, but certainly did well at the box office.

If all things were equal. Such is not the case with Doctor Strange 2.

1) 28th MCU film in an extensively connected franchise

MCU_Franchise.png.c1053d1ce2f46b17ba60ee94e099876c.png

2) 6th Doctor Strange appearance and plugged in other movies and shows

01_MCU_DS_App.PNG.7320035720e9db5112b4f056936e02e9.PNG

3) 15th Scarlet Witch/Wanda appearance and plugged in other movies and shows

01_MCU_SW_App.PNG.e5eb8a390cdf23bbefdba173ea4caf4e.PNG

And that's just the main movie and the two leads, not including the supporting cast. No, The Batman as an unpopular casting choice and the beginning of a new franchise is not comparable to where Doctor Strange 2 was starting from. To say they were, unfortunately, ignores a lot of self-developed fan nostalgia since 2008 with consistent influences and characters.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:33 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:

I'll just quote this post to save me from some typing

however, I don't think Thor L&T will be good at all .... not a fan at all of Taika Waititi's forced humor and how they made Thor a bumbling fool 

For me its a little different. I’m not a fan of all of the MCU’s forced humor however I liked it in Thor Ragnarok. 

I fell asleep at least 2x during the first showing, so I rewatched it today while I was doing a bunch of chores. I kept stopping it...it was much better. The Imax D+ effect was all I've seen, so I don't know if it was great, it was colorful though.

Now I that I recall his name, I have to look up and see who Dr. West is.

On 6/25/2022 at 2:28 PM, drotto said:

Well in fairness Thor 3 made 850M not a billion.  

Black Panther had the buzz of being the first black (mainstream) superhero movie in the MCU.

Captain Marvel was sold as the final must see build up movie to endgame (even if. It wasn't anything close to that.)  

It doesn't matter how many movies Dr. Strange was in, he was never an "A-lister" in the MCU until no way home and I have no doubt that it would have hit 1B had it gotten the same China release that Batman got and squandered.  

We can sit here all day and come up with reasons and excuses for why a movie did or did not make the box office we expect it to.  If people want to see a movie they will go see it. If they don't  they won't.  No other explanation is needed.  

Indeed, it really is quite remarkable that while Strange sits just shy of 1B with no China, "the best Batman eva!" is moping around with only 770M.  While that's not in flop territory , it really is kind of bad and a big miss on expectations and what "could" have been.  

Fact is , people just weren't that impressed with the Batman.  Fact is multiverse of madness did just fine.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 6/25/2022 at 4:28 PM, drotto said:

ragnarok didn't even get to 900M.

Edited by Straw-Man

Curious, does anyone know if  the Batman and Strange films ended up streaming into U.S. homes within a similar period of time from their initial theater releases date?