• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 9:57 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember when the Famous Funnies file copies came up for sale. The Frazetta issues were gone immediately. I never even had a chance…:sorry:

How long ago was this and where did they go on sale, along with any other details you might have on these file copies?  ???

On 8/31/2022 at 10:04 AM, lou_fine said:

How long ago was this and where did they go on sale, along with any other details you might have on these file copies?  ???

I don’t remember exactly. I was a LONG time ago. My comic collecting memory gets a little fuzzy at this point. Other than the Frazetta ones, I don’t recall it being much of a big deal.

I got a couple from Redbeard. War issues. Still have them I believe. They were/are purty. This was long before “pedigrees” or CGC. Most are probably buried in collections now with no providence. 

On 8/31/2022 at 10:49 AM, Landerian said:

Looks like a quick, big sale via Elite Comics on Instagram today of a Famous Funnies 211 CGC 9.0 Sig Series. Beautiful book and a great sig placement by Frank...pretty rare to have in a yellow label, and tied for highest graded! At $20k +, this is a huge sale! Not many Famous Funnies Frazetta signed copies by Frank, especially in CGC sig series cases. People love their CGCs!

I also included one of my copies of Famous Funnies 215, purchased from Frank Frazetta's personal collection (see sig on bottom right in black marker).  I was told by Frank Jr. that the sig was made by his father with his left hand after he had his first stroke in 1995. Such an honor to have in my collection! Frank is my favorite artist, and I'm completely obsessed with this run of books. Recently completed the 209-216 + WSF 29 run! If you like Frank Frazetta's comic books and cover art, follow me on Instagram @ Landerians_Fire!

Famous Funnies 211 CGC SS.png

famous funnies 215.jpg

Frazetta has the only sig that adds to a vintage book, imo. Very cool. 

On 8/31/2022 at 7:49 AM, Landerian said:

Looks like a quick, big sale via Elite Comics on Instagram today of a Famous Funnies 211 CGC 9.0 Sig Series. Beautiful book and a great sig placement by Frank...pretty rare to have in a yellow label, and tied for highest graded! At $20k +, this is a huge sale! Not many Famous Funnies Frazetta signed copies by Frank, especially in CGC sig series cases. People love their CGCs!

That was a pretty fast turnaround as this looks like the same copy that sold for $19,800 on Heritage back at the beginning of this year. (thumbsu

On 9/1/2022 at 4:47 AM, lou_fine said:

That was a pretty fast turnaround as this looks like the same copy that sold for $19,800 on Heritage back at the beginning of this year. (thumbsu

Yes, definitely the same copy. Good catch and quick turn around for sure!:highfive:

I see that there are late issue Famous Funnies from the Promise Collection Pedigree in an upcoming Heritage auction in September. These were not graded by CGC and only come included with a certificate of authenticity.

I'm curious if anyone knows: were the Frank Frazetta FF issues part of the Promise Collection Pedigree? Maybe I just missed it? hm It stands to reason Heritage would have these graded and auctioned off already if they were included with the collection.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:49 AM, Landerian said:

Small distinction: The book is for sale, not sold.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:03 AM, TeddieMercede said:

Frazetta has the only sig that adds to a vintage book, imo. Very cool. 

I agree, his signature style has that je ne sais quoi? its distinctly Frazetta, trademark that enhances the image!

On 9/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, manetteska said:

Small distinction: The book is for sale, not sold.

It was marked as pending as of my posting, and marked sold as of 12 hours ago. Not sure on the negotiated price, but definitely sold. The Heritage auction winner had to move it for whatever reason, so congrats to the new owner! 

Edited by Landerian
forgot to respond to the first quote.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:18 AM, Landerian said:

It was marked as pending as of my posting, and marked sold as of 12 hours ago. Not sure on the negotiated price, but definitely sold. The Heritage auction winner had to move it for whatever reason, so congrats to the new owner! 

Ahhh, now I see it in the comments. Usually they have a huge SOLD plastered over an image when it sells.

But, as you said, most likely did not sell for the listed price.

On 8/31/2022 at 7:49 AM, Landerian said:

I also included one of my copies of Famous Funnies 215, purchased from Frank Frazetta's personal collection (see sig on bottom right in black marker).  I was told by Frank Jr. that the sig was made by his father with his left hand after he had his first stroke in 1995. Such an honor to have in my collection! Frank is my favorite artist, and I'm completely obsessed with this run of books. Recently completed the 209-216 + WSF 29 run! If you like Frank Frazetta's comic books and cover art, follow me on Instagram @ Landerians_Fire!

famous funnies 215.jpg

The cover to issue #215 has always been my single favorite.  There is just so much to like about it. :cloud9:

On 9/1/2022 at 7:20 AM, Landerian said:

I see that there are late issue Famous Funnies from the Promise Collection Pedigree in an upcoming Heritage auction in September. These were not graded by CGC and only come included with a certificate of authenticity.

I'm curious if anyone knows: were the Frank Frazetta FF issues part of the Promise Collection Pedigree? Maybe I just missed it? hm It stands to reason Heritage would have these graded and auctioned off already if they were included with the collection.

The Promise collection ended in 1951.  The FF FFs started in 1953. 

On 9/1/2022 at 8:31 AM, Forbush-Man said:

The cover to issue #215 has always been my single favorite.  There is just so much to like about it. :cloud9:

On 9/1/2022 at 10:42 AM, Landerian said:

While 213 is my favorite, 215 is definitely up there for me too! This year I ponied up and pulled in a beautiful 7.5 via auction...its a stunner in high grade!

Well, for you lucky holders of Famous Funnies 215, it looks like this latest CL Auction result from last week clearly confirms this book's a keeper:  :luhv:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022aug%26x%3D27%26y%3D14%26pg%3D10%23Item_1606625&id=1606625&itemType=0#detail

00069710850000111294622003.jpg

Sold for a strong price of $5,100 for a CGC 5.0 graded copy which leads me to think that your 7.5 copy should have no problems hitting 5-figures which represents a rocket of an increase from the high 3-figures or very low 4-figures that a CGC 7.5 graded copy would have garnered a short decade ago.  :Rocket:

Re the #215 above, the sub crease bugs me a bit but I *love* the color strike on this copy. Sometimes the background has faded to a murky light brownish-olive, but nice deep rich greens here. :applause: 

On 9/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, Point Five said:

Re the #215 above, the sub crease bugs me a bit but I *love* the color strike on this copy. Sometimes the background has faded to a murky light brownish-olive, but nice deep rich greens here. :applause: 

Thanks P5 for selling me a copy!