• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2022 at 8:31 PM, fastballspecial said:

Apparently I should be on the East Coast of Florida instead of the West Coast next year. I was in Destin this past week. 

Destin is only about an hour away from me. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:44 PM, Beastfeast said:

I used to have great luck in Panama City and some small places around there but Hurricane Michael literally destroyed the flea market and the shops that are still open are a shells of their former selves.  

Jacksonville is one of those great comic buying cities in that it's relatively large, has multiple Navy bases, a revolving door of tech workers.  There aren't a ton of people digging so competition isn't as gnarly as bigger metros.  The dealers that are present either are only after vintage stock or are old enough to think anything printed since the late 80s is worthless.  The biggest problem is that there are a LOT of comic shops (Coliseum has 4 locations alone) so landing collections is tough because they're being funneled to them.  

The last 6 months have been really nice but I've had times where I didn't find ANYTHING for months and months.  You guys who are prolific diggers know the drill.  

CoC I compare to Mile High I've never seen a shop priced so high 

On 7/21/2022 at 10:10 PM, fastballspecial said:

CoC I compare to Mile High I've never seen a shop priced so high 

Their prices are truly insane.  Every once in a while you can find something in a dollar bin or a wall book that they forgot to mark up by 75%.  

On 7/21/2022 at 9:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yes I went east of Destin and hit 5 shops that way. I did find a 35 and 30 cent variant.

Used to love the Destin area. Then it grew too big.  Was many a time I enjoyed Crab Island and they used to have a BUNCH of floating bars. Again got way too crowded for my taste. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:41 AM, bellrules said:

Dollar books from a local used bookstore

09510778-FBF0-41A3-BF0B-E8FA06769E07.jpeg

21A05F18-91FF-4FB6-BC58-F94BBCC5381A.jpeg

E0F59397-91AB-4A9D-8E99-6C36753C265C.jpeg

55D6EA73-E1DF-4A7D-A361-47DB95534707.jpeg

0A0C6F96-BB69-464B-B0B6-E595B50B0B17.jpeg

Wow. First couple of pics, sure, you did really nicely. I'd rake Batman 211/245, and those Aquaman issues for a buck all day long.

But Batman 251 and Ghost Rider 1 for a dollar? I guess I really don't understand how timezones work, because it's clearly already Christmas wherever you are...

On 7/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, Qalyar said:

Wow. First couple of pics, sure, you did really nicely. I'd rake Batman 211/245, and those Aquaman issues for a buck all day long.

But Batman 251 and Ghost Rider 1 for a dollar? I guess I really don't understand how timezones work, because it's clearly already Christmas wherever you are...

I wonder how the used book store acquired them

On 7/25/2022 at 5:19 PM, bellrules said:

People bring in books there all the time. They buy them then put them out 

Sometimes, when people find out I'm into comics, they ask about the hobby. This part of the hobby is the hardest to explain to them (and honestly, still the hardest for me to understand): there are books that are worth a fair amount of money, and there are vast resources online that can tell you how much those books are worth, but there are still people who don't care to put in the time to find out the value of a book, and so they'll sell it for what it might be worth to them whether that's a dollar or whatever. Heck, I still find deals on eBay - where you can literally see what a book has sold for recently. I'm absolutely glad for it, and the hunt is one of my favorite parts of the hobby, but I still can't quite make sense of it.