• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, PossumGrease said:

These were all either $0.95 or 2 for $1.95 at local 2nd & Charles (except $0.50 for Bloodfire and $1.25 for Stray Bullets). Not face melting, but I was pretty pleased. 

F389BBFD-8A79-4CBD-93CE-01A71FF16549.jpeg

Man, 2nd & Charles has been TERRIBLE the last few months.  They even have a binder now of xerox'd comics that are higher-priced.  For example, they had a random, filler issue of Excalibur for $14.95.  What?

I know I still have like 6 copies of Hellspawn 6 from back in the day. I really hoped they would fully follow up on that whole thing. By the way, Hellspawn was a great little series, one of the runs I made sure to finish when I got back into comics like 10 years ago.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:23 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Some recent pick ups at a local junk shop for $1 each.

Scan2025.jpg

Scan2031.jpg

Scan2035.jpg

Scan2037.jpg

Scan2040.jpg

Scan2054.jpg

Scan2056.jpg

Scan2058.jpg

Scan2060.jpg

Scan2062.jpg

Scan2064.jpg

Scan2066.jpg

Here is the censored Dave Dorman cover. 

Reveal hidden contents

B55DEBC8-FEAD-4D0D-A402-3BFC55B6B049.jpeg

Awesome stuff, these are the kinds of books I love to find. I never see that Carmilla series. There's usually a lot of Aircel stuff out there, but I rarely see this one. This stuff all looks to be in great shape too! Good job!

On 6/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, F For Fake said:

Awesome stuff, these are the kinds of books I love to find. I never see that Carmilla series. There's usually a lot of Aircel stuff out there, but I rarely see this one. This stuff all looks to be in great shape too! Good job!

The filler Aircel books are always really common, but the more interesting ones are elusive. The Carmilla series is generally a nice find, especially what looks to be a fairly high-grade copy of #1 with the paper wrapper intact.

Also, fun fact about that Penthouse Men's Adventure Comix #1. That series actually runs 7 issues. However, #2-7 are exclusively magazine sized. The first issue exists in both formats; evidently, the comic-sized book didn't sell as well so they dropped the dual format experiment immediately after. I'd consider both versions "infrequently encountered", but some of that is likely just the limited visibility of adult-targeted books on the secondary market.

On 6/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, Qalyar said:

The filler Aircel books are always really common, but the more interesting ones are elusive. The Carmilla series is generally a nice find, especially what looks to be a fairly high-grade copy of #1 with the paper wrapper intact.

Also, fun fact about that Penthouse Men's Adventure Comix #1. That series actually runs 7 issues. However, #2-7 are exclusively magazine sized. The first issue exists in both formats; evidently, the comic-sized book didn't sell as well so they dropped the dual format experiment immediately after. I'd consider both versions "infrequently encountered", but some of that is likely just the limited visibility of adult-targeted books on the secondary market.

I'm pretty sure I still have my comic-sized Penthouse MAC, I'll have to check. Back when I was working at the comic shop (20 years ago) I'd grab this stuff when I found it, but those supplies have dried up. I don't run into any of the Penthouse stuff very often, either series, either format. Most of them are easy enough to locate online, but in my in-person digging, uncommon for sure.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:19 AM, BuraddoRun said:

I found this in a mystery pack of comics at HPB. There were 30 comics and the pack was $10, so that makes this around 33 cents.

1p.jpg

Whoa by some miracle. I have one at cgc, but did you buy to gamble? Or any rumors that it would be in there? 

Or for the love of reading?

These are questions that run through my brain while stairing at them near my hpb, but your living the dream! ^^

@F For Fake

On 6/19/2022 at 7:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Whoa by some miracle. I have one at cgc, but did you buy to gamble? Or any rumors that it would be in there? 

Or for the love of reading?

These are questions that run through my brain while stairing at them near my hpb, but your living the dream! ^^

@F For Fake

Those things are always hit and miss, but I make educated guesses based on what I see. I never rip the packs or anything like that (I hate it when folks to that!). But you can, of course, always see at least the 2 cover books they display, and the spines of the others. I'll search the spines and sometimes see something that looks like it could be good. The thick spines, like annuals and such, of course you can see clearly on the sides when there's text there.

The pack that had the above comic had a Cloak and Dagger on one side, and I wanted that for my personal collection (I like the early C&D stuff). There were some other Marvel books from the 80s and 90s I could see from the side. Not enough to tell what they were, but enough where I could date the books by the corner boxes. So I figured it was a pack worth gambling on for that, and that I'd at least get some stuff from an era I enjoy books from. I had no idea One-Punch Man was in there, but I was pumped when I opened the pack and found it in there! So call it a somewhat educated gamble, though the book above was completely unexpected.

On 6/19/2022 at 11:36 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Those things are always hit and miss, but I make educated guesses based on what I see. I never rip the packs or anything like that (I hate it when folks to that!). But you can, of course, always see at least the 2 cover books they display, and the spines of the others. I'll search the spines and sometimes see something that looks like it could be good. The thick spines, like annuals and such, of course you can see clearly on the sides when there's text there.

The pack that had the above comic had a Cloak and Dagger on one side, and I wanted that for my personal collection (I like the early C&D stuff). There were some other Marvel books from the 80s and 90s I could see from the side. Not enough to tell what they were, but enough where I could date the books by the corner boxes. So I figured it was a pack worth gambling on for that, and that I'd at least get some stuff from an era I enjoy books from. I had no idea One-Punch Man was in there, but I was pumped when I opened the pack and found it in there! So call it a somewhat educated gamble, though the book above was completely unexpected.

^^

Effort!

Found these today for $11 total.

The Marc Spector moon knight had a following for a while.

The Deadpool's may be second best.

The other is just speculation but the Spider-Men 2 variant sells for some coin evidently.

The xforce is a first app as well

IMG_20220625_115025051.jpg

IMG_20220625_115003616.jpg

IMG_20220625_114928706.jpg