• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,637 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

so what is the consensus? Pressman?

Definitely not a pressman. 

At this point, after all these years, it’s a WTF variant. I posted my thoughts on what it could be, but it’s all a guess. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 4/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, Beige said:

Freely admitting my ignorance here - it's obviously not a general release comic - what am I missing?

Obviously quite a bit judging by the reactions!

It's a really obscure reprint / variant, although there's never been any documentation about where it came from. I lean toward the theory that they were pre-printed as pack-ins for a toy that was never released, and that some number of copies eventually made their way into the secondary market unnoticed, probably because they don't look like anything interesting. The alternative credible theory is that it was some sort of direct give-away, like part of a media kit for the toy line or ... something like that. Maybe some of both.

In any case, they're vanishingly rare books.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, Qalyar said:

It's a really obscure reprint / variant, although there's never been any documentation about where it came from. I lean toward the theory that they were pre-printed as pack-ins for a toy that was never released, and that some number of copies eventually made their way into the secondary market unnoticed, probably because they don't look like anything interesting. The alternative credible theory is that it was some sort of direct give-away, like part of a media kit for the toy line or ... something like that. Maybe some of both.

In any case, they're vanishingly rare books.

I compare this to the Hulk 377 3rd print for same reason. Very obscure and impossible to find. Nobody really cares about that book which makes it harder to find then Hulk 377, but the same type of issue. Ive yet to see an explanation on Hulk 377 either.

Really this discussion belongs more in the Books Hard to Find in the Wild section.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 5/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, littledoom said:

I remember finding this newsstand in the dollar longboxes at a con. Sold it for cheap shortly thereafter 

I went by a place I haven't been in a while, there was a bookstore nearby it. I went in and looked, someone else was looking through the comics too. I went to were they buy things from people and asked if they had any new comics in. They said they did but the comic person didnt come in till the afternoon, this was about 10:30 this morning.

I was excited and said I'd come back later, so I called about 12:30 and they said come on by...

It was 5 long boxes worth but this and a Conan Saga #14 were the only things I was interested in. They said whatever I found they would price, although the conan was already priced at $5.

I'm rambling lol

It was the 1st time it ever happened that I was 1st by asking, and I got to look through the stash. I was cool with the xforce but for it to be a Newsstand really cut the butter :x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM