• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom 2 - "There's Gonna Be Carnage" (10/2/20?)
3 3

728 posts in this topic

And I can already tell once the confirmed spoiler details are clear, 'someone' is itching to post them all with the message of, "NOBODY REALLY CARES ABOUT THIS MOVIE ANYWAY SO LET ME TELL YOU ALL THE DETAILS TO SPOIL IT FOR YOU!"

I loved that approach with Wonder Woman 1984 when a certain someone applied that logic. (:

On 9/28/2021 at 9:42 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Generally speaking, nobody gives a rat's behind about spoilers to Venom 2 enough to create an entire marketing poster about it.

Meanwhile, Tom Hardy did create the poster and people have been chatting about it on social media.

Now if those that are vehemently against this film force themselves once they see this film not to reveal such spoilers out of spite that would be super! But that assumes a level of maturity some have not achieved.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, fantastic_four said:

I'm seeing that the review embargo lifts September 30th, i.e. the day before it opens.  RARELY is that a good sign.  :eek:

to be fair the Thursday previews start at 4 PM EST, so that gives a solid couple of hours to digest the reviews

Early reviews are better than I was expecting.  Odds are in favor of it being at minimum mixed, hopefully a bit above that in the end.

So why'd they wait so long to lift the review embargo?  I was in the market yesterday to buy tickets for Sunday so we could get good seats, but we skipped it assuming Venom probably sucked.  Might've gone for Venom if we knew it wasn't completely terrible, so if they knew this from screenings why didn't they lift the embargo earlier?  ???

Edited by fantastic_four

Reviews won't matter for opening weekend BO, even ones as hilarious as this from Mick LaSalle, The San Francisco Chronicle's film critic

Review: ‘Venom 2’ should not be watched. It should be shunned

Friends don’t let friends see “Venom: Let There Be Carnage.” It’s terrible in lots of ways, which will be enumerated, and it won’t be remembered past next Tuesday.

But if it were remembered, it would be remembered for hitting the trifecta: It’s the worst movie Tom Hardy ever made. It’s the worst movie Woody Harrelson ever made. And it’s the worst movie Michelle Williams ever made.

You know it’s bad if even Michelle Williams can’t make it any better.

The second “Venom” might even be the worst movie ever filmed in San Francisco, though that’s a more competitive field. But for sure, it’s one of the worst movies of 2021. In fact, in a happier year, it might even be one of the worst things to have happened that year. So just to be clear, this is a very bad movie.

Hardy wrote the story, which means he should never be left alone with a sharp object that could possibly be used as a pen. He could do damage to himself, in the sense that he could take his character and turn him into a virtual bystander in a story involving two computer graphics fighting each other.

How ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage,’ directed by Andy Serkis, tears up San Francisco with gory glee

The first “Venom” was actually funny and different. This one goes off the rails in about 15 minutes. Eddie (Hardy) is going through life with his constant companion, the big-toothed monstrous creature, Venom, who lives inside his body and talks to him, constantly. Everything Eddie does, Venom comments on. We hear the comments. They were funny in the first movie. In this, they’re tiresome.

The movie meanders. It goes a long while without revealing its story. It eats up time with set pieces, involving Eddie and Venom in their domestic life. These set pieces are not amusing. They’re not clever. They’re desperate. The filmmakers have next to no story and they need to fill up time.

Meanwhile we re-connect with Harrelson, as a serial killer facing lethal injection. We also meet Naomie Harris as the woman he loves, who is locked up in a mental institution. She is known as Shriek and has a super power. Guess what it is. (Answer: A loud shriek.) She also speaks with an accent, a little like the accent Harris employed in “Pirates of the Caribbean 2” — tied with “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” for the worst movie Naomie Harris ever made.

The use of San Francisco is unimaginative, though it’s always nice to see the city on screen. Someone should have let the filmmakers know, however, that the Bay Bridge has a new extension. (It’s not even that new.)

Everything about this movie is about killing time, and time is killed slowly, painfully and pointlessly. The movie has only one destination and purpose, to put Venom up against a virtually identical creature, so that we can watch them try to kill each other — with absolutely no rooting interest in the outcome.

Hardy, Williams and Harrelson are bystanders, all three of them good actors, and all of them involved only impotently in the struggle.

I suppose they all got so far into the process of making this movie that they couldn’t stop, even when they realized it was a mistake. To say “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” is not worth seeing is not enough. It’s not worth admitting into your life, even as an option. You’ve read a review of it. That’s enough. Now, never think of it again for the rest of your life.

Edited by paperheart

On 9/28/2021 at 8:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

Of course this is not accurate. As to note 'nobody' this would mean 100% validation of such claims.

Now more realistically there will be a portion of moviegoers so fanatical over the MCU they will rally against any SpiderVerse character absent Peter Parker. Whether it be Venom, Carnage, Shriek, Kraven or Morbius. So even if the story turns out to be good, they protest.

It's an approach.

Lol I agree with him but I will say it more eloquently.  Nobody is walking in expecting an Academy Award winner so the critical response will not align with the regular consumer response.  This is like Transformers where no one is walking in to that theater for thought provoking cinema.  That audience wants to see robots beat each other senseless.  The audience for Venom wants to see these characters fight. It was the same thing as Freddy v Jason.  Will the consumers eat this up to justify another sequel?  Probably, but only if Holland is featured in the third part. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

Lol I agree with him but I will say it more eloquently.  Nobody is walking in expecting an Academy Award winner so the critical response will not align with the regular consumer response.  This is like Transformers where no one is walking in to that theater for thought provoking cinema.  That audience wants to see robots beat each other senseless.  The audience for Venom wants to see these characters fight. It was the same thing as Freddy v Jason.  Will the consumers eat this up to justify another sequel?  Probably, but only if Holland is featured in the third part. 

You agree with him nobody cares about the spoilers being revealed from the film? Not that this will land an Academy Award. Nobody even implied that part.

You may have missed that part when you 'agreed with him'.