• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom 2 - "There's Gonna Be Carnage" (10/2/20?)
3 3

728 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 7:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

You agree with him nobody cares about the spoilers being revealed from the film? Not that this will land an Academy Award. Nobody even implied that part.

You may have missed that part when you 'agreed with him'.

I felt the sentiment of his post was that no one cares about thought provoking cinema when it comes to this series, the fans of this want to see two spider guys fight.  I think his thought was lost due to the nobody cares comment but that was the meat and potatoes part. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:52 PM, Buzzetta said:

I felt the sentiment of his post was that no one cares about thought provoking cinema when it comes to this series, the fans of this want to see two spider guys fight.  I think his thought was lost due to the nobody cares comment but that was the meat and potatoes part. 

I hear you. That was not the intent if you read it. And nothing about an Academy Award either.

During the WW84 release he did the same thing. Once it came out to spite the movie he posted the entire story so as to spoil it for all. Sure, the movie was a disappointment. But it was a petty action on DAY 1 of the release.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:56 PM, jsilverjanet said:

one thing I noticed is that this film isn’t playing at a lot of showtimes 

I wonder why @Bosco685

Theater counts: Venom and Addams Family 2 both debut in over 4,200 theaters this weekend

A vital month for the theatrical business kicks off tomorrow with the release of Venom: Let There Be Carnage and The Addams Family 2. Theater owners are doing their part by booking the films into over 4,200 locations each. Venom will be the widest of the two, playing in 4,225 movie houses, while Addams Family 2 is only fractionally behind, with 4,207. Only Jungle Cruise (4,310 theaters) and Shang-Chi (4,300) have opened wider this year. This is in fact the first time in industry history that two films have opened in more than 4,200 theaters, and only the second time that two films have opened in more than 4,000 theaters.

The previous time two films debuted in over 4,000 theaters was the weekend of September 22, 2017, when Kingsman: The Golden Circle and The Lego Ninjago Movie both did so. The similarity in timing (late September and October 1) and genres (action and family) between that occurrence and this one is not coincidence. With relatively few films playing strongly in theaters, exhibitors are keen to put new content on screen, and an action movie and a family movie will have very little overlap in their audiences. Hopefully these new releases can thrive and kick start a revival at the box office.

Also opening wide tomorrow is The Many Saints of Newark. In keeping with their recent tradition, Warner Bros. is releasing the film simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max, and hasn’t reported a theater count ahead of the weekend. We’ll post an estimated figure as soon as we see something reliable. The Jesus Magic, which was originally announced as a wide release, will debut in 249 locations through Lionsgate, and IFC Films has Falling for Figaro arriving in 44 theaters.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:00 AM, Gatsby77 said:

In the last 24 hours Rotten Tomatoes has slipped from 74% positive to 59% positive.

Shocked...shocked I am!

This is one of those rare films that I will likely agree with critics over the audience. Venom had a 30% critic score and 80% audience score. Carnage has an 85% audience, which I find unlikely to reflect how I will feel about it.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is one of those rare films that I will likely agree with critics over the audience. Venom had a 30% critic score and 80% audience score. Carnage has an 85% audience, which I find unlikely to reflect how I will feel about it.

I'm skeptical of an audience rating when the film's been out for less than 24 hours.

I'm also fairly confident that the bulk of folks who want to see this in the theater will see it this weekend or this week. And (of course) Bond will absolutely own it next weekend.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:54 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm skeptical of an audience rating when the film's been out for less than 24 hours.

I'm also fairly confident that the bulk of folks who want to see this in the theater will see it this weekend or this week. And (of course) Bond will absolutely own it next weekend.

I'm skeptical about all ratings. The Watchmen got a 65% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Let that sink in...

On 10/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, Joshua33 said:

I'm skeptical about all ratings. The Watchmen got a 65% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. Let that sink in...

Perfect example of a movie that seemingly intentionally limited its audience to "just the fans."

I *loved* The Watchmen film but damn is it a hard watch - and really bleak - for your average moviegoer who is unfamiliar with the source material and just wants to be entertained.

Remember - this came out in 2009.

We'd just had Iron Man and The Dark Knight the year before, but the comic book movie boom was just getting started in earnest and still revolved largely around the "single hero vs. single villain" template.

I think it would perform much better today - with critics and commercially - than it did 12 years ago. 

Sony’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage rang up a great $11.6M Thursday night from showtimes that began at 4PM yesterday at 3,500 theaters.

That’s the second best we’ve seen during the pandemic after Disney/Marvel’s Black Widow which grossed $13.2M on Thursday night from shows that began at 5PM (sans Disney+ Premier for the night). Even better news: That preview haul is higher than that of the 2018 movie which did $10M off showtimes that began at 5PM. Venom went on to do a $32.5M first day and $80.2M opening weekend, which is the second best ever for the month of October.

Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings follows in ranking among big pandemic Thursday nights with $8.8M from showtimes at 6 p.m., and then Universal’s F9 which did $7.1M off 7PM showtimes.

:whatthe:

On 10/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Perfect example of a movie that seemingly intentionally limited its audience to "just the fans."

I *loved* The Watchmen film but damn is it a hard watch - and really bleak - for your average moviegoer who is unfamiliar with the source material and just wants to be entertained.

Remember - this came out in 2009.

We'd just had Iron Man and The Dark Knight the year before, but the comic book movie boom was just getting started in earnest and still revolved largely around the "single hero vs. single villain" template.

I think it would perform much better today - with critics and commercially - than it did 12 years ago. 

Totally agree. I think that's what is wrong the comic book movies of late. DC can't figure out whether they want to be dark, or be Marvel. Then there's Marvel desperately trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle they had with Guardians. The Marvel thing is getting so redundant, fight sequence, joke, turmoil, resolution, repeat. 

I would gladly take a film adapted straight from the source material and aimed at the fans over any of the disappointing cash grabs coming out of Disney lately.

Edited by Joshua33
Grammar

On 10/1/2021 at 4:06 PM, Joshua33 said:

Totally agree. I think that's what is wrong the comic book movies of late. DC can't figure out whether they want to be dark, or be Marvel. Then there's Marvel desperately trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle they had with Guardians. The Marvel thing is getting so redundant, fight sequence, joke, turmoil, resolution, repeat. 

I would gladly take a film adapted straight from the source material and aimed at the fans over any of the disappointing cash grabs coming out of Disney lately.

Except...I'd hold up both Black Panther and WandaVision as examples that pushed the envelope in the right way.

Black Panther because Killmonger had a point - as did M'baku. There was impressive moral ambiguity in that film, particularly with the revelation of his father's sin.

And WandaVision was about as far from the typical "comic book template" as you could get - and I think the best Marvel Netflix show since Jessica Jones.

Ditto Captain Marvel - even if Carol's arc largely mirrored that of Dumbo's - realizing he didn't actually need the feather to fly and all, because the true power was within (gasp!) the whole time.