• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom 2 - "There's Gonna Be Carnage" (10/2/20?)
3 3

728 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, MattTheDuck said:

The important thing in this story is that $110 million is now "lower budget" for a movie :whatthe:

Right?

When Deadpool and then Joker came out, lower budget was sub-nine figures. Now, not so much. 

Venom 2 release schedule:

• 30 September 2021: UK (London) (premiere)
  • 14 September 2021: Russia, Ukraine    
  • 1 October 2021: Canada, USA    
  • 7 October 2021: Mexico       
  • 13 October 2021: United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Taiwan    
  • 14 October 2021: Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia    
  • 15 October 2021: Bulgaria, India, Ireland, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania , Spain, Sweden, Turkey , UK
  • 20 October 2021: France    
  • 21 October 2021: Germany, Netherlands   
  • 22 October 2021: Finland, Iceland
  • 25 November 2021: Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand
  • 2 December 2021: Thailand

Quite a few markets still to open.

I always think of this kind of discussion in terms of "indie" films - Blair Witch cost a maximum of $750,000 and grossed $250 million - that kind of thing.  In my mind, that is a "low budget" film.  I suppose the same kind of metric can be applied to comparing $100+ million films, but it's hard to get my head around it.  

On 10/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, MattTheDuck said:
On 10/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

$110M production budget. Wow! That is low.

The important thing in this story is that $110 million is now "lower budget" for a movie 

First, Screen Rant is a horrible source for nerd news. They constantly muddy their "news" stories with misinformation, amateur opinions, and skewed headlines.

Second, Venom 2's "lower" budget is nothing new really. The first Venom movie was even "lower" at $90 million. Shang Chi, a Disney Marvel film with 10x the amount of special effects, had a "low" budget of $150 million. The reason these budgets are still so high, even though they're called "low", is the amount of special effects. The time and people power it takes to make them happen and not look like garbage is substantial. The average studio budget for non-special effects movies like dramas, horror, or comedy is still around $10-20 million.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

First, Screen Rant is a horrible source for nerd news. They constantly muddy their "news" stories with misinformation, amateur opinions, and skewed headlines.

Second, Venom 2's "lower" budget is nothing new really. The first Venom movie was even "lower" at $90 million. Shang Chi, a Disney Marvel film with 10x the amount of special effects, had a "low" budget of $150 million. The reason these budgets are still so high, even though they're called "low", is the amount of special effects. The time and people power it takes to make them happen and not look like garbage is substantial. The average studio budget for non-special effects movies like dramas, horror, or comedy is still around $10-20 million.

I know, right? Too bad we don't have MCU Cosmic to refer to going forward.

:baiting:

(:

On 10/5/2021 at 9:35 AM, Bosco685 said:

I know, right? Too bad we don't have MCU Cosmic to refer to going forward.

(:

MCU Cosmic was the first person online to break the Eternals MCU story when most were like "I'll believe it when I see it," so the guy had some reliable inside source. His constant whining about being hated on got to be a little tiring though. I don't miss it. Now everybody is covering and leaking the MCU anyway.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

MCU Cosmic was the first person online to break the Eternals MCU story when most were like "I'll believe it when I see it," so the guy had some reliable inside source. His constant whining about being hated on got to be a little tiring though. I don't miss it. Now everybody is covering and leaking the MCU anyway.

LOL

Uh-huh. Meanwhile, you quoted him often.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

LOL

Uh-huh. Meanwhile, you quoted him often.

Sure, when nobody else was scooping MCU comic book movie news. And he was usually right. Now everybody does it.

Speaking of quoting, I just looked up to see how MCU Cosmic is doing in other parts of the internet and got his thoughts on Black Widow and Shang Chi.

"manabyte

2021 brought my least-favorite MCU movie (Black Widow) and my new favorite (Shang-Chi).

I thought Widow was just boring and felt lifeless. We know how she dies and explaining the whole "Dreykov's daughter" line is good and all, but in doing so they ruined Taskmaster. I thought Death Dealer was a much better silent villain than Taskmaster.

On the other hand I loved every second of Shang-Chi. Aside from a reference here and there it almost doesn't feel like a MCU movie. They made an awesome Wuxia movie and it was amazing to see Tony Leung in a big budget movie like this. My favorite MCU villain, hands-down."

On 10/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Sure, when nobody else was scooping MCU comic book movie news. And he was usually right. Now everybody does it.

So share facts how Screen Rant is an unreliable source.

:popcorn:

On 10/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

So share facts how Screen Rant is an unreliable source.

:popcorn:

Look, I don't have time right now to dig into Screen Rant's internet history, and maybe I exaggerate a bit on how much misinformation they peddle, but when I see a Screen Rant article anywhere, unless it's some set photo or something, I skip it. It's usually some sensational headline that promises some juicy info that ends up being a news bit lifted from some other news source and then turns into a lot of the writer's opinion and ends with "we'll see what happens next!" Ugh

On 10/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Look, I don't have time right now to dig into Screen Rant's internet history, and maybe I exaggerate a bit on how much misinformation they peddle, but when I see a Screen Rant article anywhere, unless it's some set photo or something, I skip it. It's usually some sensational headline that promises some juicy info that ends up being a news bit lifted from some other news source and then turns into a lot of the writer's opinion and ends with "we'll see what happens next!" Ugh

You should have stopped right there at the highlighted portion as anything after was more hyperbole. You know it. We know it.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Screen Rant has click-bait, but I don't recall them peddling misinformation. (shrug)

They don't. If anything, quite a few of the Screen Rant contributors are very MCU-biased when it comes to movie content. So kind of surprised at that comment.