• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom 2 - "There's Gonna Be Carnage" (10/2/20?)
3 3

728 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2021 at 11:56 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

What's also uneconomic is a $100/mo phone bill or twice that if you have a family, a $800 new iphone every 2 years, eating at a fine dining restaurant, health insurance, and going to Disney World or going on any kind of vacation. But people still do it. People want to go to the movies and filmmakers want to make movies that will be seen specifically by a crowd in a dark place on a large screen.

those things are surely not uneconomic for the: restaurants, Apple, Aetna, Disney's of the world; the movie distribution business is uneconomic for the theater chains; slight difference lol

On 10/2/2021 at 5:34 PM, paperheart said:

those things are surely not uneconomic for the: restaurants, Apple, Aetna, Disney's of the world; the movie distribution business is uneconomic for the theater chains; slight difference lol

I'd say it's the coronavirus pandemic that's been bad economics for Applebee's, Aetna (with all the life insurance payouts it's had to dole out), the Disneys of the world, and yes AMC. U.S. movie theater revenue in 2019 was $43 billion. In 2020 it was $12 billion. Not from lack of interest, but because of a global deadly pandemic. Once we're past this thing, and the news two days ago was that the delta surge is finally on a downturn, then things will go back to normal, including movie theater business.

Just saw Venom vs Carnage.

For background, I've never been a big Venom fan though I root for my ASM 300's market value. I never saw the 1st Venom movie.

This movie was okay. Not a real compelling plot IMO, but I was expecting that. Maybe the strongest element of the story is the Eddie-Venom symbiotic relationship. The main reason to see the movie, the Venom Carnage battle, was fine.

The mid-credits scene was interesting to say the least. I wonder where the powers that be are going with that one.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I'd say it's the coronavirus pandemic that's been bad economics for Applebee's, Aetna (with all the life insurance payouts it's had to dole out), the Disneys of the world, and yes AMC. U.S. movie theater revenue in 2019 was $43 billion. In 2020 it was $12 billion. Not from lack of interest, but because of a global deadly pandemic. Once we're past this thing, and the news two days ago was that the delta surge is finally on a downturn, then things will go back to normal, including movie theater business.

During the glory days (2016-2019), Apes Mating Chimpanzees had combined negative free cash flow of $70 million; throw in zero value add acquisitions and the number is closer to negative $1 billion.  Go back to defending CM; you are in over your head here.

Just got back from seeing it. I liked the first one more but this was still fun. Since a 65 convertible Mustang is my dream car (so close!) and my daughters favorite bad guy is Candy Girl from Purge 3 (we re-created her costume for Halloween a couple of years ago) this movie gave me the good feels at times. The mid credits gave me goosebumps.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, paperheart said:

During the glory days (2016-2019), Apes Mating Chimpanzees had combined negative free cash flow of $70 million; throw in zero value add acquisitions and the number is closer to negative $1 billion.  Go back to defending CM; you are in over your head here.

Correction on my part: U.S. movie theaters in 2019 generated $10 billion in ticket sales revenue and $6 billion in concession sales. The numbers I posted above were global.

Every company and every industry and every government has its debts, operating costs etc. and that varies with the company or government.

I'm not talking about how good or bad AMC's CEO has handled the finances and expenditures of the company. I'm talking about movie theater attendance here. I'm talking about the American public's overall interest in going to the movies and spending money there.The fact remains that the U.S. movie theater industry saw steady revenue growth over the past decade until the economy fell off a cliff in 2020. Naysayers can talk about Netflix and Disney+ taking over our lives all they want, but people still want to go out to the movies. The past month has shown that. Nobody, generally speaking, wants to see Spider-Man debut on a TV screen this Christmas. We want to go see it at the movies.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:27 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Correction on my part: U.S. movie theaters in 2019 generated $10 billion in ticket sales revenue and $6 billion in concession sales. The numbers I posted above were global.

Every company and every industry and every government has its debts, operating costs etc. and that varies with the company or government.

I'm not talking about how good or bad AMC's CEO has handled the finances and expenditures of the company. I'm talking about movie theater attendance here. I'm talking about the American public's overall interest in going to the movies and spending money there.The fact remains that the U.S. movie theater industry saw steady revenue growth over the past decade until the economy fell off a cliff in 2020. Naysayers can talk about Netflix and Disney+ taking over our lives all they want, but people still want to go out to the movies. The past month has shown that. Nobody, generally speaking, wants to see Spider-Man debut on a TV screen this Christmas. We want to go see it at the movies.

if you ignore the fact that ticket prices have increased every year for at least the past 25 years :insane:; movie theater attendance in the US peaked in 2002; 2019 was 22% below that level.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, Larryw7 said:

Can someone put in a spoiler box what the mid credit scene was?

Spoiler

Eddie Brock (and Venom) are laying in bed at their beachside hotel at the beach the movie ended on. Venom(inner voice) tells Eddie of the things it's seen throughout the universe and offers to show Eddie a sample. Eddie agrees. Venom says "wait" and then does something unseen. They're still in the hotel room but Eddie notices something is suddenly different. On the hotel TV, J. Jonah Jameson is talking about Peter Parker being Spider-Man. We see news footage of Peter (Tom Holland) with the Spider-Suit but his mask off. Eddie and Venom get closer to the screen, intrigued by this strange but familiar character. Venom licks the image of Peter on the TV screen. A regular dude walks into the hotel room and asks what they're doing in his room. End scene.

My guess is that Venom somehow transported them through the Multiverse or Spider-verse to Peter Parker's universe.

On 10/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, Larryw7 said:

Can someone put in a spoiler box what the mid credit scene was?

Emergency Awesome did a special video just on that scene alone that goes into greater details than above about what took place. Very interesting! Especially with the Symbiote history backstory.

Spoiler

We saw it last night and it was decent.  Some very cringe worth portions but there was several laugh out parts and the end battle scene was pretty sweet.  I'd give it a C+ but my wife thought it was a sold B movie.  I didn't fall asleep which is rare for a Friday night flick.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:35 PM, paperheart said:

Yes - there's a reason the short-sellers were short-selling.

Also, I still believe AMC is a takeover target for Amazon - and the hedge funds knew that - may even have been acting on Amazon's behalf by proxy.

On the one hand, part of the MGM acquisition agreement was that they'd continue to show future Bond films theatrically. On the other, because Amazon now owns Bond, No Time to Die doesn't need to make a profit theatrically (esp. with the break-even now at at least $700 million).

Either way, Amazon will likely establish a nationwide theater presence sometime in the next three years. And an acquisition of existing theater chain is the easiest way to do that.

$110M production budget. Wow! That is low.

There's been a number of big box office wins from lower budget movies, particularly A Quiet Place Part II, Candyman, and other horror movies, but of the handful of blockbusters to see $70 million or better opening weekends domestically, Venom: Let There Be Carnage stands alone as an unquestioned success in multiple categories. First, it's the biggest opening of the year at over $90 million. Second, its budget is lower than the top 10 highest-grossing movies of 2021, other than A Quiet Place Part II. Third, it's the only franchise movie in 2021 to open higher than its predecessor.

Regardless, Venom: Let There Be Carnage is the only 2021 movie producing the kinds of box office numbers we would have expected pre-pandemic, showing the right kind of movie can still see real success at the box office. While the genre and style are surely drastically different from Christopher Nolan's next movie, the lower budget (for a blockbuster) and theatrical exclusivity lend credence to his negotiated release strategy with Universal.