• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 12:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Isn't this the copy that Parrino ended up taking a big bath on after completely overpaying for it when he picked it up from Geppi through a deal negotiated on Geppi's behalf by John Snyder who was head of Diamond Int'l Galleries at the time?  hm

Ugh! I am always triggered when I come across the name John Snyder because he allegedly monkeyed with some of the Mile Highs. Please include a warning label on posts that contain that name! :baiting:

On 1/21/2022 at 5:11 AM, Timely said:

A lot of people gave Borock a hard time about giving a book with so much writing on it a 9.0, I wonder how those same people feel now seeing it in a 9.2 holder?

Well, at least that writing on the Pay Copy has a whole lot more significant historical value than this eyesore of a shopping list that's on the cover of whatever this book is that I can hardly even make out, although it does have a CGC 8.5 label on the slab:  :fear:  :sick:   lol

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 Signature Series: Stan Lee and Others (Marvel, 1974) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white pages....

On 1/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Ugh! I am always triggered when I come across the name John Snyder because he allegedly monkeyed with some of the Mile Highs. Please include a warning label on posts that contain that name! :baiting:

Well, if you think that way then it must be a double or triple ugh nowadays, because I believe that was done around the time when restoration was seen as adding value to a book, similar to how almost everybody nowdays see the current artifical manipulation being done to books are seen as adding value to them.  Just a more subtle form of old school hidden and undisclosed restoration that has now been fully institutionalized into the hobby, and as Matt Nelson has stated, allows everybody to play on the same level playing field.  And to top it off, change the undisclosed grading standards ever so slightly to target and punish books more heavily if they don't pay up to participate in this manipulative practice here.  :censored:

Clearly evident through the now apparent 10+ months to get a MA book through CCS, and no doubt a business model that was already laid out when the CCG ownership first came into hobby and then solidified with their associated partners.   :devil:  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/22/2022 at 11:22 AM, MrBedrock said:

This here post is horse poop is what this here post is.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you 110% that taking countless months to put some of our books through CCS is indeed like horsie or doggie poop in terms of the TAT's they are providing to their customers, although it is clearly an invaluable service which they are providing to us.  (thumbsu  lol

On 1/22/2022 at 3:21 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you 110% that taking countless months to put some of our books through CCS is indeed like horsie or doggie poop in terms of the TAT's they are providing to their customers, although it is clearly an invaluable service which they are providing to us.  (thumbsu  lol

I would have never guessed that you were using those services.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:11 AM, Timely said:

A lot of people gave Borock a hard time about giving a book with so much writing on it a 9.0, I wonder how those same people feel now seeing it in a 9.2 holder?

It isn't the grade I would have given it—I'd be below VF on any books with that much writing—but CGC is free to grade to whatever standards they wish. If they get too reckless, their credibility will start to suffer, and then they'll be forced to tighten up (which has happened a couple of times and which I think will probably happen again soon). The Pay Copy is a one-of-a-kind item, so I'm not sure how much the grade will affect the price, anyway.

I don't quite understand why CGC is so hard on stains but so easy on writing. To me those are very similar defects in that the cover has been defaced by a foreign substance.

Edited by jimbo_7071

Reading the discussions on the grade on the Pay Copy always amuses me. When it originally came up for auction through Sotheby's, long before CGC, there were a small group of graders highly respected by most here on the boards, including Jerry Weist and Jon Berk, who gave it a grade of 89 out of 100. With CGC's grade scale that would equate to a 9.0/9.2. I have held the book a few times. It doesn't look out of place in a 9.2 holder.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:19 PM, MrBedrock said:

Reading the discussions on the grade on the Pay Copy always amuses me. When it originally came up for auction through Sotheby's, long before CGC, there were a small group of graders highly respected by most here on the boards, including Jerry Weist and Jon Berk, who gave it a grade of 89 out of 100. With CGC's grade scale that would equate to a 9.0/9.2. I have held the book a few times. It doesn't look out of place in a 9.2 holder.

I would be willing to do nasty, filthy, unspeakable things to own it.