• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, once you open the door a just a crack to let somebody in, there'll be other people (i.e. consignors) that will also want to be let in just to squeeze out that extra 0.35% or whatever it was.  :frustrated:

If the camel gets no pushback when he sticks his nose in the tent, he will soon be standing next to you. That first guy turned the CC tent into a crowded place

On 2/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

If the camel gets no pushback when he sticks his nose in the tent, he will soon be standing next to you.

qdxut5ejmei81.png

On 2/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, RareHighGrade said:

When I'm bidding, I don't want to have to consult my calculator each time there's a new bid.  If Heritage can provide that minor service, CC should be able to as well. 

I would definitely not be able to keep up with how fast the bids tends to come in on the Heritage Auctions with their bidding format. :frown:

With the CC 3-minute extended bidding format, there's more than enough time to do a quick calculation along with other anlaysis on a particualr book. (thumbsu

Totally agree with you though that this should be a simple fix, but with the crack website design team which they hired to revamp their website, maybe it's a brige too far for them.  :facepalm:  lol

On 2/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, lou_fine said:

You do realize that Heritage has a 20% buyers premium, so I guess you are a lot more comfortable with paying 20% as opposed to only 15%. (:

as @RareHighGrade said, cc does not calculate the bp when you bid. heritage does. i consider cc's method highly deceptive, esp since it's only on some items.

i prefer not to give heritage my money either, CL is usually my first choice.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, once you open the door a just a crack to let somebody in, there'll be other people (i.e. consignors) that will also want to be let in just to squeeze out that extra 0.35% or whatever it was.  :frustrated:

You do realize that Heritage has a 20% buyers premium, so I guess you are a lot more comfortable with paying 20% as opposed to only 15%. (:

I just use CL, problem solved!

On 2/22/2022 at 12:23 PM, Straw-Man said:

$775k and change at just over 24 hrs.

By the time it's all going to be said and done in a few short weeks from now, it's going to be pretty obvious that Jay Parrino had the right idea even though he had over paid for the book at the time, but just not the patience to play the long game.  hm  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Espeically since time tends to take care of your purchasing mistakes when it comes to the vintage collectibles comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

On 2/22/2022 at 5:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Espeically since time tends to take care of your purchasing mistakes when it comes to the vintage collectibles comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

It’s like a free floating safety net protecting us from ourselves 

On 2/22/2022 at 12:03 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah that 9.4 sale for $1.25 mil as I recall is going to be quite the deal once this copy is finished.

So is the WC copy that went from 8.5 to 9.0 to 9.4 better than the Pay Copy that went from 9.0 to 9.2?

In my mind it's just not even close.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:30 PM, Crowzilla said:

So is the WC copy that went from 8.5 to 9.0 to 9.4 better than the Pay Copy that went from 9.0 to 9.2?

In my mind it's just not even close.

Great question, will have to take a look at the 9.4 again.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:39 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, to the long time collectors here, this is also the same book that old sly Geppi used to take newbie moneybags coin guy Parrino out to the woodshed and gave him a financial whupping to the tune of 350 big ones:  lol

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-1-nets-350k-sets-record/

Needless to say, Jay's time with us was far too short as he arrived on the comic book scene like a bolt of lightning, but left like a burnt out candle from last year's birthday cake. :flamed:

Looks like the Pay Copy came back to market at least 3 times after that big Geppi sale and ended up reselling for $201K, $205K, and $227K in 2006, 2007, and 2010 respectively, all while residing in a CGC 9.0 VF/NM slab.  No surprise that one of the the big secrets to making money in comic books is to buy and hold as the seller of the Pay Copy on this go round here is going to do much better than Parrino and the subsequent buyers of this copy in 2006 and 2007. :popcorn:  (thumbsu

It was the hot potato copy for a while, which was a shame. It sullied this book and helped kill Marvel #1 for years. 

maybe it was the absence of true first-level superhero first appearances regardless of Parrino's ill timed exit?  The top ten comics look different now than in the first 20 years of Overstreet. Books rise and others fall as collectors' focuses change. But a 2M sale of this copy would change some rich youngsters eyes back toward the first Marvel comic.  Still falls behind the DC first appearances though as a 9.2, not to mention AF15.  I get the feeling that Metro must have shopped it around without getting that big number offer... so an eye popping auction sale could do wonders, unless it turns out to be another Parrino type record sale that no one else will touch.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, Aman619 said:

maybe it was the absence of true first-level superhero first appearances regardless of Parrino's ill timed exit?  The top ten comics look different now than in the first 20 years of Overstreet. Books rise and others fall as collectors' focuses change. But a 2M sale of this copy would change some rich youngsters eyes back toward the first Marvel comic.  Still falls behind the DC first appearances though as a 9.2, not to mention AF15.  I get the feeling that Metro must have shopped it around without getting that big number offer... so an eye popping auction sale could do wonders, unless it turns out to be another Parrino type record sale that no one else will touch.

I do wonder if they shopped it around. They've had a lot of success with eye-popping private sales. We're in this new era where even they might know every player in advance though, so who knows. I've been disappointed by this book so many times I would LOVE to see it do well.

I'm one of those people who was soured on Marvel #1 in general 15 years ago because of all the poor results, so it would be nice to see it come full circle and really blow the doors off. 

On 2/18/2022 at 6:49 PM, Terry JSA said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this book exceeds $1M. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:21 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

In this market, seems doable.

Nothing would surprise me in this market.

We're seeing rag copies of books selling for more than what high-grade copies were selling for just a few years ago.

I'm tempted to sell some books because I think there will be a correction at some point, but the only books that I have that are worth anything would be too difficult to replace. I'd also have to use a fair percentage of the proceeds to cover the taxes on the profits.