• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2022 at 12:32 PM, lou_fine said:

I am 110% confident that this copy here will have absolutely no problems at all punching its way right through the now piddly $22,500 it managed to sell for in the big Jon Berk auction back in 2017.  :takeit:

Especially since Heritage was able to auctioned off a lower graded CGC 4.0 copy for back in September of last year and CC was able to fetch $55K for the highest graded CGC 8.0 copy baxck in 2018 before this current huge runup in prices since the pandemic started. :applause:

Will definitely be watching with great anticipation to see where this one finishes up at. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Stock market, bitcoin crash and impending tax day all make me think the comic market is going to take its foot off the gas. But every time I’ve thought that since the start of the pandemic, I’ve been wrong

On 1/29/2022 at 1:29 PM, RareHighGrade said:

:facepalm: Doh, I was referring to Clink.  Wrong thread, is there a Clink thread?

Looks like there actually is one, as another boardie just bumped it to the front since it had been sitting dormant in the deep freeze since 2019:  :gossip:  :whatthe:

On 2/1/2022 at 10:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like there actually is one, as another boardie just bumped it to the front since it had been sitting dormant in the deep freeze since 2019:  :gossip:  :whatthe:

I accidentally started one that’s a bit more recent in convo, didn’t realize there was one at the time. Either works though and Gotham’s did come first.

Anyone notice this 2nd highest graded and only copy in grade Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.2 coming to CC? Auction starts in 5 days. It’s the Pay Copy, not sure what that is, but damn it’s gorgeous! Was graded fairly recently in March of 2021.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/867184#description

4E12283C-E1E1-4137-BE8D-D539D0BBF08F.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:11 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

It’s the Pay Copy, not sure what that is

per Heritage

This is called the pay copy because it's the one used by the Lloyd Jacquet studio (aka Funnies Inc.), which produced the comic in its entirety for Timely, to record how much each contributor was paid, on which date and with which check number. For instance, the notation on the cover tells us that cover artist Frank R. Paul received $25 to draw this now-legendary cover. The existence of this pay copy didn't become known until Jacquet's death, and the inside look that it gives the owner at the very genesis of the Timely/Marvel line is what makes this one of the most desirable single copies of any comic book. Also noted on the interior pages are payments to Bill Everett (for the Sub-Mariner story), Carl Burgos (for the Human Torch story), Ben Thompson (Ka-Zar) , Paul Gustavson (the Angel) , and others, all dating from late July 1939. Yes, this comic is the first newsstand appearance of all four of those classic characters, and it's also the first comic book by Timely (later known as Marvel). As such, this is the beginning of the Marvel Universe and the entire pop culture phenomenon that that entails. CGC notes, "Publisher's record of payments to artists noted on 7 pages and cover in pencil."

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 2/15/2022 at 11:18 PM, Gotham Kid said:

This is called the pay copy because it's the one used by the Lloyd Jacquet studio (aka Funnies Inc.), which produced the comic in its entirety for Timely, to record how much each contributor was paid, on which date and with which check number. For instance, the notation on the cover tells us that cover artist Frank R. Paul received $25 to draw this now-legendary cover. The existence of this pay copy didn't become known until Jacquet's death, and the inside look that it gives the owner at the very genesis of the Timely/Marvel line is what makes this one of the most desirable single copies of any comic book. Also noted on the interior pages are payments to Bill Everett (for the Sub-Mariner story), Carl Burgos (for the Human Torch story), Ben Thompson (Ka-Zar) , Paul Gustavson (the Angel) , and others, all dating from late July 1939. Yes, this comic is the first newsstand appearance of all four of those classic characters, and it's also the first comic book by Timely (later known as Marvel). As such, this is the beginning of the Marvel Universe and the entire pop culture phenomenon that that entails. CGC notes, "Publisher's record of payments to artists noted on 7 pages and cover in pencil."

Aww thanks! Cool history.

On 2/16/2022 at 2:11 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Anyone notice this 2nd highest graded and only copy in grade Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.2 coming to CC? Auction starts in 5 days. It’s the Pay Copy, not sure what that is, but damn it’s gorgeous! Was graded fairly recently in March of 2021.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/867184#description

4E12283C-E1E1-4137-BE8D-D539D0BBF08F.jpeg

I wouldn’t be surprised if this book exceeds $1M. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:01 PM, 10centcomics said:

Shhh! You can't announce your targets. Interested bidders might not have known about it... like me! Thanks for the heads-up on this!

I probably won’t be able to afford it anyways. lol

My pockets aren’t that deep.. yet. 

We will see if the new money can be attracted to a Marvel 1.  I’m not a fan of it, so either it will herald a comeback for Marvel 1 in the market with a decent 1M plus sale, , or continue its slight ramp up of late, or fail to reach an impressive number.  I know that’s not a prediction! Cause who can say with Marvel 1s tepid performance compared to the other 5 big mega keys?  2nd highest might do the trick!

ANd —. It has a story!

On 2/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, Aman619 said:

We will see if the new money can be attracted to a Marvel 1.  I’m not a fan of it, so either it will herald a comeback for Marvel 1 in the market with a decent 1M plus sale, , or continue its slight ramp up of late, or fail to reach an impressive number.  I know that’s not a prediction! Cause who can say with Marvel 1s tepid performance compared to the other 5 big mega keys?  2nd highest might do the trick!

ANd —. It has a story!

I too wait to see how this book gets embraced. I’m a fan because of the milestone importance of this particular book. To me it midwifed all the stories and characters that still drive me to this day. But truthfully I don’t collect Human Torch or Submariner and nor do i know anyone who does. But that in no way (at least in my eyes) diminishes the importance of this this book in general, and as the paycopy, this book in particular 

On 2/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, Straw-Man said:

it will far surpass a million.

4.5 sold for 360k the other day.

It was not a pretty 4.5 with the Tape removal on spine so apparent

could have been 450k if it had good eye appeal

remember last year when CC started listing some books with a 15% buyers premium on them, and they claimed that a certain seller demanded this at the time? 

well, that was obviously a bunch of BS as most of us knew it was. now, each auction has a substantial amount of good books that have the buyer's premium on them. it's a huge turnoff for me on top of their clunky website.

remember when airlines said that baggage fees were temporary? smells the same. i'll stick with CL and HA. 

On 2/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, alexgross.com said:

remember last year when CC started listing some books with a 15% buyers premium on them, and they claimed that a certain seller demanded this at the time? 

well, that was obviously a bunch of BS as most of us knew it was. now, each auction has a substantial amount of good books that have the buyer's premium on them. it's a huge turnoff for me on top of their clunky website.

remember when airlines said that baggage fees were temporary? smells the same. i'll stick with CL and HA. 

To each their own, but this smells like throwing out the baby with the bath water 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 2/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, alexgross.com said:

Unfortunately, once you open the door a just a crack to let somebody in, there'll be other people (i.e. consignors) that will also want to be let in just to squeeze out that extra 0.35% or whatever it was.  :frustrated:

On 2/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, alexgross.com said:

You do realize that Heritage has a 20% buyers premium, so I guess you are a lot more comfortable with paying 20% as opposed to only 15%. (: