• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

But that bottom edge . . . how is that page not "BRITTLE"?

Is that what passes for "CREAM-TO-OFF-WHITE" these days?

No that's definitely a fair point. It's a rather brittlish looking part of the page. Maybe slightly brittle would have been a fairer designation.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:24 AM, tth2 said:

s it really?  With the exception of the MC 1 Pay Copy, when I see these books, an old show tune comes to mind:

Anything you can do, I can do lower ... grade,

I can find lower grade copies than you.

the lower grade tec33 and tec38 were listed for ages on Bob Storms.

billy wright tec35 has been recycled a few times, think same for that cap 1 7.0 (although dont follow Cap1 all that closely so not sure same copy but I do recall some 7.0s go to auction)

cap3 3.0 meh

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 1/19/2022 at 11:19 PM, Gotham Kid said:

the lower grade tec33 and tec38 were listed for ages on Bob Storms.

billy wright tec35 has been recycled a few times, think same for that cap 1 7.0 (although dont follow Cap1 all that closely so not sure same copy but I do recall some 7.0s go to auction)

cap3 3.0 meh

The Cap 1 7.0 had been listed for a short time in CCs exchange with a $350k BIN. That seemed a bit of a stretch at prices 2 years ago, but low in today’s superheated market

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 1/20/2022 at 3:32 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Agreed.  The registration on it is better than a lot of copies (although still not perfect).  Such an awesome book!  (thumbsu

For some reason, I assumed it would be an October copy.  hm

That is a keen observation as I  would think an OCT copy would make sense as well. I’m sure the time window was a crunch since the October’s unexpectedly sold out in a week’s time, so Goodman was scrambling to get the November issues printed. 

Edited by Primetime

On 1/20/2022 at 6:32 AM, Randall Dowling said:

For some reason, I assumed it would be an October copy.  hm

Are you assuming a publisher wants to rush to pay their creative staff or contractors?

On 1/20/2022 at 12:34 AM, Primetime said:

....it's good to see the Pay copy of Marvel 1 :x

Isn't this the copy that Parrino ended up taking a big bath on after completely overpaying for it when he picked it up from Geppi through a deal negotiated on Geppi's behalf by John Snyder who was head of Diamond Int'l Galleries at the time?  hm

On 1/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Isn't this the copy that Parrino ended up taking a big bath on after completely overpaying for it when he picked it up from Geppi through a deal negotiated on Geppi's behalf by John Snyder who was head of Diamond Int'l Galleries at the time?  hm

If I recall correctly, Parrino paid $350K for it and then sold it for around $220K.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Sounds about right, I think? I know Bill Hughes was in the middle of it as well. There’s a famous photo of Bill and Geppi shaking hands when they did the deal for the Pay copy. 

On 1/20/2022 at 11:31 PM, RareHighGrade said:

If I recall correctly, Parrino paid $350K for it and then sold it for around $220K.

A lot of people gave Borock a hard time about giving a book with so much writing on it a 9.0, I wonder how those same people feel now seeing it in a 9.2 holder?