• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 7:52 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not my point.

I’ve seen Action 1s with severely rusted staples including migration into the paper.  It will remain that way until the owner fixes it, a magnanimous act for the hobby as a whole, but a step he or she is financially unwilling to make. How many here would be willing to do this, knowing they’re selfless act will cut the value of their book by 50% minimum? 

If CGC would allow retention of a blue label and simply add a notation on the label, the financial pill would be easier to swallow and promote the preservation of important books

Agreed with this.  I think CGC should just have a notation saying the staple(s) were replaced in a blue label similar to how they do it with small amount of color touch and/or glue on golden age graded books..  Afterall, the book didn't have any work done and is still original. Saving a book from heavily rusted staples and migrating into the pages is the right thing to do and yeah should not be penalized with a purple or green label.   

On 5/19/2022 at 4:40 PM, Dark Knight said:

Agreed with this.  I think CGC should just have a notation saying the staple(s) were replaced in a blue label similar to how they do it with small amount of color touch and/or glue on golden age graded books..  Afterall, the book didn't have any work done and is still original. Saving a book from heavily rusted staples and migrating into the pages is the right thing to do and yeah should not be penalized with a purple or green label.   

If the book is stored correctly the rust isn't going to advance, so it's not really saving anything.  Just throwing that out there. 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not my point.

I’ve seen Action 1s with severely rusted staples including migration into the paper.  It will remain that way until the owner fixes it, a magnanimous act for the hobby as a whole, but a step he or she is financially unwilling to make. How many here would be willing to do this, knowing their selfless act will cut the value of their book by 50% minimum? 

If CGC would allow retention of a blue label and simply add a notation on the label, the financial pill would be easier to swallow and promote the preservation of important books

I think the majority of collectors would agree with that. 

I'm all for keeping the book as a Blue as long as the staples are "vintage" or cleaned, but if they aren't vintage that kind of complicates things.  Can't see keeping it Blue with staples from a Spawn #1. But I suppose 99% of people who are going to replace staples on a serious book will use the real deal but there will always be some out there who won't. They would need to be exposed. 

Edited by Professor K

On 5/20/2022 at 10:56 AM, buttock said:

If the book is stored correctly the rust isn't going to advance, so it's not really saving anything.  Just throwing that out there. 

This is probably true because I remember asking Fishler about a book which I owned that had rustry staples and he told me it was best to put it in a mylar and leave it as is, and the rust shouldn't get any worse.  Now after some 25 years, the book looks pretty much in the same shape as before with the rust still there, but not migrating any further.  (thumbsu

The only thing that Fishler told me to do with the book was to be sure to contact him when it came time for me to dispose of the book.  lol

On 5/22/2022 at 7:04 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Seriously??!?

4482444D-2F38-41F9-AAF1-5D97E2462932.jpeg

On 5/22/2022 at 11:29 PM, Gotham Kid said:

wow ! surprising to say the least ...

Not really that surprising since I believe even lower graded copies have been selling in this price range during the past year or so.  :gossip:

What I find rather surprising is how this cover has risen to near the top in the eyes of collectors recently, when nobody except for me had listed it as one of their Top 5 favorite covers in a CBM survey back in the mid-90's.  :whatthe:

On 5/23/2022 at 12:54 PM, lou_fine said:

The only thing that Fishler told me to do with the book was to be sure to contact him when it came time for me to dispose of the book.  lol

So he can offer you 20 cents on the dollar?

On 5/23/2022 at 5:38 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I got this one in 1966...

22016894616_e8f784d9c6_c.jpg

but NOT at Norm's...I got it at Cherokee Books in Hollywood.  It traveled a long way to get to Hollywood...

How much did you pay?

On 5/23/2022 at 11:44 PM, Larryw7 said:

How much did you pay?

$7...:devil:  My dad thought I was nuts...lol

Unfortunately, I no longer own that book.  I sold it out of the goodness of my heart to a fellow boardie who really loved it.  I think he might have eaten at Norm's once...hm  B|

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 5/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Not really that surprising since I believe even lower graded copies have been selling in this price range during the past year or so.  :gossip:

What I find rather surprising is how this cover has risen to near the top in the eyes of collectors recently, when nobody except for me had listed it as one of their Top 5 favorite covers in a CBM survey back in the mid-90's.  :whatthe:

Its a shame what they did to that book greed will get you in the end :whatthe:

On 5/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, lou_fine said:

You were ahead of the game it just took awhile to realize it is a great cover :smile:

On 5/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

1966?

Man alive! That was 8 years before I was even born.

No wonder I missed out on all the deals.

I went into the service in 1966, and was eventually stationed in West Germany. Not really into comics at that time, but I did notice that when I came back to the states in 1969, all the silver based coinage was out of circulation...