• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Holy cow!

I wasn't optimistic that re-glossing could be removed without cleaning the cover. But the cover on the Tec was already cleaned?? So a book with a cleaned and re-glossed cover had the re-glossing & cleaning removed??? I don't think there's a realistic answer to how that can happen that doesn't involve CGC incorrectly grading the book. :whatthe:

Almost every company that I know of has had trouble staffing entry level positions over the past year, and I'm sure CGC is no exception. After seeing the way the Promise books were graded, I am assuming that there are quite a few inexperienced graders on staff at this point, and whatever grade comes back on a book basically amounts to the luck of the draw. I am undecided on whether to submit any books because the slabbed grade really doesn't mean as much as it used to.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Almost every company that I know of has had trouble staffing entry level positions over the past year, and I'm sure CGC is no exception. After seeing the way the Promise books were graded, I am assuming that there are quite a few inexperienced graders on staff at this point, and whatever grade comes back on a book basically amounts to the luck of the draw. I am undecided on whether to submit any books because the slabbed grade really doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Except that prices do not correlate to their drop in quality control. At least, yet.

If CGC doesn't pick their nose out of their pockets they're going to have a nice call from the Federal Trade Commission for misrepresenting books.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:10 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

As a community, we seem to be sliding backwards as to what we consider resto and conservation. CGC was established to control this now they seem to be part of the original problem. Money talks I guess…

On 5/17/2022 at 12:28 PM, Robot Man said:

As a community, we seem to be sliding backwards as to what we consider resto and conservation. CGC was established to control this now they seem to be part of the original problem. Money talks I guess…

How are we sliding backwards?

The delineation between Conso and Resto is a needed and desirable thing. What isn't desirable is inconsistencies in grading and standards which 100% of the blame falls on CGC.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:28 PM, Robot Man said:

Money talks I guess…

Sometimes it whispers before it yells at everyone

On 5/19/2022 at 2:52 AM, Straw-Man said:

lawd, i love to read these threads.  makes me realize my problems are just so darned minor. i mean, ftc raids and all...

I'd love to hear the call registering a complaint:

"Hello, is this the FTC? I want to press criminal charges and demand a full federal investigation against CGC because they graded a Promise book that's clearly a 7.5 as a 9.0!  That bug chew is no bug chew!"

*Click*

"Hello?  Hello?"

On 4/8/2022 at 5:57 AM, Professor K said:

And the place is still in business. Wish there was something like it near me.

https://www.downtownkalispell.com/norms-soda-fountain

My wife hits that place every time she goes to Kalispell (I've only been once) - we are down in Great Falls. The place is pretty cool. I need to keep an eye out for a Norm's stamped book!

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 5/18/2022 at 2:29 PM, Robot Man said:

That’s some heavy accusations from a new 2 post board member. Got some proof to back up your claims?.

DeepThroatx.jpg

Someone with inside info, methinks. Trust no one, mister Mulder.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:36 AM, Phill the Governor said:

What isn't desirable is inconsistencies in grading and standards which 100% of the blame falls on CGC.

On 5/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, adamstrange said:
On 5/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Money talks I guess…

Sometimes it whispers before it yells at everyone

Well, if you pay to have a special room built in the CGC facilities to have just your books graded, then you should be entitled to some of the associated benefits. (thumbsu

Instead of having my books graded along with everybody else's in a brightly lit room equipped with light tables and diamond loupes for the graders, I would certainly prefer the special Heritage grading room where there are no lights and the blackout curtains are always drawn and its mandatory for all graders to wear darkened sunglasses before entering the room to grade the books.  lol

:jokealert: and yet sadly, there just might possbily be a tinge of truth in there, as based upon some of the examples which we have seen on the boards here. :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I agree except I have a feeling they didn't let any new employees touch any of the Promise books. I've heard a few people say that CGC has been going through a strict phase to where it's harder to get higher grades the past couple of years, but I think they are just more inconsistent now which I guess is unavoidable considering the huge increase of submissions the past 2 or so years.

On 5/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think they should. The system penalizes those who do the right thing to preserve a book. That should not be allowed to be an intended consequence. 

So what do you think? Should a book with replaced vintage staples be put in a Conserved holder or a Blue one? Either way they would have to note staples replaced on the label. I think if the only "resto" done to the book is replaced staples it should be considered preserved not restored. 

On 5/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if you pay to have a special room built in the CGC facilities to have just your books graded, then you should be entitled to some of the associated benefits. (thumbsu

Instead of having my books graded along with everybody else's in a brightly lit room equipped with light tables and diamond loupes for the graders, I would certainly prefer the special Heritage grading room where there are no lights and the blackout curtains are always drawn and its mandatory for all graders to wear darkened sunglasses before entering the room to grade the books.  lol

:jokealert: and yet sadly, there just might possbily be a tinge of truth in there, as based upon some of the examples which we have seen on the boards here. :(

This sounds like the Scrooge McDuck theory of comic encapsulation and security.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, Professor K said:

I agree except I have a feeling they didn't let any new employees touch any of the Promise books. I've heard a few people say that CGC has been going through a strict phase to where it's harder to get higher grades the past couple of years, but I think they are just more inconsistent now which I guess is unavoidable considering the huge increase of submissions the past 2 or so years.

Interesting, that's a strict phase I'm unfamiliar with.  I'd assumed pedigree graders were trained separately & hired on the basis of braille experience.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:36 PM, Professor K said:

So what do you think? Should a book with replaced vintage staples be put in a Conserved holder or a Blue one? Either way they would have to note staples replaced on the label. I think if the only "resto" done to the book is replaced staples it should be considered preserved not restored. 

I don’t know, Professor.  It just seems wrong that someone with enough conscience to save a book gets penalized, while someone who just sends the book back out in the world as-is gets rewarded.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/19/2022 at 4:51 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t know, Professor.  It just seems wrong that someone with enough conscience to save a book gets penalized, while someone who just sends the book back out in the world gets rewarded.

I don't think of rust migration as a "reward."