• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

A bit off topic here, but since it has to do with Metro and CC, does anybody know who this Darren Wan guy is and what his background is?  ???

Just wondering since I received an email this morning from Metro & CC stating that this Darren Wan has joined Metro/CC as the new COO of the company replacing Vinnie who has now moved up to his new role as President of the company.   Especially since this is not a name that I am familiar with in terms of his comic book background and figure boardies here might know more about this rather significant change than me. hm  (shrug)

Okay, never mind as I went to Goggle and found out some info on this Darren Wan guy and saw absolutely nothing at all about comic books:  (shrug)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenrwan

From his work experience background listed in the above link, it certainly looks like Darren has moved arouund a lot through a slew of various industries, with none of them relating to the collectibles marketplace.  So, this should definitely be a big change and interesting to monitor going forward since both Fishler and Vinnie had long and deep roots in the comic biz, unlike this new guy here.  hm

Darren Wan

New York, New York, United States
1,484 followers 500+ connections

About

I am an enthusiastic business operator who possesses a unique combination of diverse experience and professionalism from over 20 years in finance, technology, hospitality, construction, and retail. I began my career doing equity research for a top performing portfolio team with over $20 billion in assets before jumping into the trenches of fast-paced and rapidly growing business environments across multiple industries.

I am known for my ability to evaluate, organize, and direct the day-to-day operations of a company with a keen focus on profitability. Driven by metrics and results, I value defining KPI dashboards to help navigate staff, improve profitability, and drive top-line growth. My colleagues would say that I excel at building trust and am a good listener. When someone is looking for a contrarian view to stimulate ideas, they come to me.

Ambiguous situations excite me. By gaining a deep understanding of my surroundings, I am able to deliver exceptional results by implementing structure and process to solve problems. I have defined product visions and strategy and executed go-to-market action plans. I am comfortable in small team settings as well as growing and managing organizations of more than 200 and have grown revenues from the ground up. Am able to jump from conversations with manual labor to corporate senior management seamlessly.

Specialties: cross-functional team leadership, data & business analysis, data visualizations & KPIs, financial modeling, project management, process improvement, product management, customer development, P&L management, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint

Experience

• ComicConnect/Metropolis Comics Graphic

Chief Operating Officer

ComicConnect/Metropolis Comics

Sep 2022 - Present2 months

New York, NY

ComicConnect and Metropolis Comics is the world's most trusted and dynamic online auctioneer of vintage comic books, original comic art, and pop culture memorabilia. We empower our international community of collectors to discover, acquire, finance, and consign these wonderful and sought after items. The company holds numerous record-breaking sales and has an excellent reputation for our vast expertise in the field of comic books, original art, and graded video games.

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/5/2022 at 11:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Okay, never mind as I went to Goggle and found out some info on this Darren Wan guy and saw absolutely nothing at all about comic books:  (shrug)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenrwan

From his work experience background listed in the above link, it certainly looks like Darren has moved arouund a lot through a slew of various industries, with none of them relating to the collectibles marketplace.  So, this should definitely be a big change and interesting to monitor going forward since both Fishler and Vinnie had long and deep roots in the comic biz, unlike this new guy here.  hm

Darren Wan

New York, New York, United States
1,484 followers 500+ connections

About

I am an enthusiastic business operator who possesses a unique combination of diverse experience and professionalism from over 20 years in finance, technology, hospitality, construction, and retail. I began my career doing equity research for a top performing portfolio team with over $20 billion in assets before jumping into the trenches of fast-paced and rapidly growing business environments across multiple industries.

I am known for my ability to evaluate, organize, and direct the day-to-day operations of a company with a keen focus on profitability. Driven by metrics and results, I value defining KPI dashboards to help navigate staff, improve profitability, and drive top-line growth. My colleagues would say that I excel at building trust and am a good listener. When someone is looking for a contrarian view to stimulate ideas, they come to me.

Ambiguous situations excite me. By gaining a deep understanding of my surroundings, I am able to deliver exceptional results by implementing structure and process to solve problems. I have defined product visions and strategy and executed go-to-market action plans. I am comfortable in small team settings as well as growing and managing organizations of more than 200 and have grown revenues from the ground up. Am able to jump from conversations with manual labor to corporate senior management seamlessly.

Specialties: cross-functional team leadership, data & business analysis, data visualizations & KPIs, financial modeling, project management, process improvement, product management, customer development, P&L management, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint

Experience

• ComicConnect/Metropolis Comics Graphic

Chief Operating Officer

ComicConnect/Metropolis Comics

Sep 2022 - Present2 months

New York, NY

ComicConnect and Metropolis Comics is the world's most trusted and dynamic online auctioneer of vintage comic books, original comic art, and pop culture memorabilia. We empower our international community of collectors to discover, acquire, finance, and consign these wonderful and sought after items. The company holds numerous record-breaking sales and has an excellent reputation for our vast expertise in the field of comic books, original art, and graded video games.

He could also be a long time comic book collector in which he chose to remain private about it? Just speculating of course but I would think Vincent and Stephen would prefer to hire someone with some background of the hobby.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:21 PM, Forbush-Man said:

That's good news for me because I will be the "King of PLOD's" in Comiclink's October Focused Auction.  :banana::acclaim::banana:

That was me in the latest CC auction…almost all my GA was purple, but hey, at least I had them…

Edited by quicksilver

On 10/7/2022 at 7:50 AM, quicksilver said:

That was me in the latest CC auction…almost all my GA was purple, but hey, at least I had them…

How did you do? Well, I hope.... :wishluck:

On 10/7/2022 at 7:50 AM, quicksilver said:

Did you purchase a lot of these GA books back in the day when restoration was seen as adding value to the books, similar to how undisclosed pressing and cleaning nowadays is seen as adding value to books?  hm

On 10/7/2022 at 8:05 AM, Forbush-Man said:

How did you do? Well, I hope.... :wishluck:

On 10/7/2022 at 2:01 PM, quicksilver said:

Well enough I think…will take a little time what with the time payments etc, but a decent retirement pot for this area of Spain…

Isn't this the absolute best of both worlds when your hobby can also go a long ways to funding a good portion your retirement? :applause:

On 10/9/2022 at 8:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Did you purchase a lot of these GA books back in the day when restoration was seen as adding value to the books, similar to how undisclosed pressing and cleaning nowadays is seen as adding value to books?  hm

Isn't this the absolute best of both worlds when your hobby can also go a long ways to funding a good portion your retirement? :applause:

No, I actually only started buying GA seriously about ten years ago.

I knew I could never get all I wanted without buying restored copies, so I couldn’t afford to worry, apart from the SA books.

Yes, it definitely is the best of both worlds…I’ll miss them though.

Edited by quicksilver

On 10/10/2022 at 8:58 PM, quicksilver said:
On 10/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, definitely…I’ll miss them though.

Yes, but for long term collectors like you and some of the other boardies here, you definitely can't complain when you not only get a lifetime of fun and enjoyment from your chosen hobby, but hopefully also a big financial payoff from it at the end.  :applause:

On 10/11/2022 at 6:04 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but for long term collectors like you and some of the other boardies here, you definitely can't complain when you not only get a lifetime of fun and enjoyment from your chosen hobby, but hopefully also a big financial payoff from it at the end.  :applause:

Yes a new house in a nice part of Spain seems like a good trade off, but I can’t help wishing I could have saved some of them…

Nice presenting Marvel 1 coming up this month. It has a small shaded circle in the top right. Does that denote something? For some reason I got it in my head that means it was a 2nd print 🤔.

By the way, you’ll notice it has the CVA and QES sticker. So of course sold on Comiclink, but CC damn well couldn’t have an obviously c-link previously sold book selling on their site, so had to slap a QES sticker on it as well. So just to be clear, this is a doubly well presenting Marvel 1 😂.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/973125?tzf=1

1E68F5AD-FF15-4381-82F2-04F6CD4C293F.jpeg

On 11/6/2022 at 10:16 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Nice presenting Marvel 1 coming up this month. It has a small shaded circle in the top right. Does that denote something? For some reason I got it in my head that means it was a 2nd print 🤔.

By the way, you’ll notice it has the CVA and QES sticker. So of course sold on Comiclink, but CC damn well couldn’t have an obviously c-link previously sold book selling on their site, so had to slap a QES sticker on it as well. So just to be clear, this is a doubly well presenting Marvel 1 😂.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/973125?tzf=1

1E68F5AD-FF15-4381-82F2-04F6CD4C293F.jpeg

You are correct, the black circle is covering the OCT date. Nov copies are technically part of the second print run.

At this point, though, not sure if it has any real impact on price given the overall scarcity. I'm sure some savvy Marvel collectors could chime in.

It's said often, but in this case (w/o seeing the BC) that sure is a pretty 2.5!

On 11/6/2022 at 7:58 AM, Phill the Governor said:

You are correct, the black circle is covering the OCT date. Nov copies are technically part of the second print run.

At this point, though, not sure if it has any real impact on price given the overall scarcity. I'm sure some savvy Marvel collectors could chime in.

It's said often, but in this case (w/o seeing the BC) that sure is a pretty 2.5!

Definitely more issues on the back then the front lol, but luckily for the seller the front presents much better!

99C51283-BB73-4A33-90D0-6D6C125E5A4E.jpeg

On 11/27/2022 at 7:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Tommy Thorsen is back

2DFB3756-CBAF-44CB-9A69-2C93963B4AD9.png

Well, although he's back, it was probably not a good idea for Tommy Thorsen to come back so soon and he should have used a dose of collector's patience before trying to put this copy back into the marketplace so soon.  :(

Especially since it was only able to sell for $33,500 on this go round here or just over a $9K discount to condition guide and also nowhere lose to the $46K it was able to garner during more euphoric times in the CC Event Auction back in September of 2021.  :tonofbricks:

Then again, I am also sure that the fact there was a also a Rockford CGC 6.5 graded copy of this exact same book in this auction also didn't helped the final price in the end.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/15/2022 at 1:28 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, although he's back, it was probably not a good idea for Tommy Thorsen to come back so soon and he should have used a dose of collector's patience before trying to put this copy back into the marketplace so soon.  :(

Especially since it was only able to sell for $33,500 on this go round here or just over a $9K discount to condition guide and also nowhere lose to the $46K it was able to garner during more euphoric times in the CC Event Auction back in September of 2021.  :tonofbricks:

Then again, I am also sure that the fact there was a also a Rockford CGC 6.5 graded copy of this exact same book in this auction also didn't helped the final price in the end.  (shrug)

I bought the Thorsen maybe 4 years ago for $40k and sold it a year ago for $46k.  I thought at the time it should have gone for more, but this most current price of $33k is ridiculous.

Since I mostly follow Timely these days, I noticed the Caps did well.  Overstreet jumped the prices on the 46 Holocaust cover pretty dramatically, but last night's 2.5 still went for 4 times OPG.  The 37 (best cover of the run, IMHO) went for 7 times OPG, which is similar to the one Heritage sold in their event auction last week.  The 33 went for a whopping 13 times OPG, which outperformed Heritage.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost