• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2022 at 2:57 AM, lou_fine said:

Then again, it's definitely not all bad news when a book like this CGC 7.0 graded copy of Human Torch 12 can still fetch $21K:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/966242

hum1.1045_2.jpg

this was my first golden age book (along with a world's finest #9). mine was in better shape, though :)

On 12/15/2022 at 7:21 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 12/15/2022 at 1:00 AM, comicnoir said:

My 6.5 and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

This went for $80k plus BP?  So $94k?  Congratulations!

If you are referring to the Rockford copy here, I believe your $80K figure includes the 15% BP since you would not be allowed to enter decimals:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/974076

det1.19505_1.jpg

Based upon my arithmetic, the hammer bid would have been $69,555 which then works out to the final price showing of $79,988.25.  (thumbsu

On 12/15/2022 at 8:37 AM, lou_fine said:

If you are referring to the Rockford copy here, I believe your $80K figure includes the 15% BP since you would not be allowed to enter decimals:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/974076

det1.19505_1.jpg

Based upon my arithmetic, the hammer bid would have been $69,555 which then works out to the final price showing of $79,988.25.  (thumbsu

I partook in the bidding, had a max of $60k.  Congrats to @comicnoir for the strong price!

On 12/15/2022 at 9:18 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I bought the Thorsen maybe 4 years ago for $40k and sold it a year ago for $46k.  I thought at the time it should have gone for more, but this most current price of $33k is ridiculous.

Since I mostly follow Timely these days, I noticed the Caps did well.  Overstreet jumped the prices on the 46 Holocaust cover pretty dramatically, but last night's 2.5 still went for 4 times OPG.  The 37 (best cover of the run, IMHO) went for 7 times OPG, which is similar to the one Heritage sold in their event auction last week.  The 33 went for a whopping 13 times OPG, which outperformed Heritage.

On the Tec 35, seller not happy, buyer very happy. 

Merry Christmas Comic Geeks!

On 12/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, Dark Knight said:

So you're saying Tommy Thornson isn't happy (:

Who's to blame him. His book has been passed around more times than it deserves...

I fully expect the book to surface again for public sale soon enough.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 12/15/2022 at 3:07 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Given the census ranking of the 6.5 (plus ped to boot), I honestly thought it would end up in the 90s.

With a sought-after cover like that, I don't pay much attention to the census. Many copies of that book—many of the nicest copies—have no doubt been locked up in private collections since before CGC existed.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:18 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Since I mostly follow Timely these days, I noticed the Caps did well.  Overstreet jumped the prices on the 46 Holocaust cover pretty dramatically, but last night's 2.5 still went for 4 times OPG.  The 37 (best cover of the run, IMHO) went for 7 times OPG, which is similar to the one Heritage sold in their event auction last week.  The 33 went for a whopping 13 times OPG, which outperformed Heritage.

Definitely bodes well for this portion of the marketplace at least when we continue to see such strong prices, especially when we have seen some rather large collections of Timely books hit the auction blocks in the past few months or so, as per your following comment here from the Heritage thread:  (thumbsu

On 12/9/2022 at 2:22 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

yes.  Someone with a solid Timely collection is heading for the exits.

Not sure if it's a run for the exits though which we have clearly been seeing with some of the much more recent hot BA and CA books selling for big discounts from their recent 2021 highs, but probably more of a few long time collectors deservedly cashing in some of their decades long held GA Timely chips at top dollar.  Perfect example being @Straw-Man's complete Marvel Mystery run which he finally let go a few months ago, followed by Heritage's some 70 odd issues of Captain America books in their auction last week, and now this 60+ issues of Cap with another almost 50 issues of the Marvel Mystery run in this week's CC Event Auction.  :applause:

Just took a quick look at the auction that's going to start in a few minutes from now and the first thing I noticed right off the was this book here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/973505

sev1.92_1.jpg

Will be interesting to see where this copy finish up at since high grade copies of this particular issue are so few and far between.  :popcorn:

On 12/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, Professor K said:

I found a few of Thomas Thorsons (son of Thor) on a google search that could be our Tommy. I grabbed this last night. I know I paid too much but it's the only way to get this stuff anymore. One person bid it up about 800 bucks on the last bid but came 200 short of my high. To me this book was Jack's first really great cover. 

Opera Snapshot_2022-12-16_090012_www.comicconnect.com.png

That's a great book, I was high bidder for a few days ...made me sorry I sold my lower grade one to a friend a few years ago. I know he loves it, so I'll survive...congrats and enjoy the book!

Dr.X asked me to invite people to participate...I'm not sure where to put this in Gold, but since I posted here recently...I figure this is a good place.

Join in and show off your mathematical skills;) He puts a lot of work into the thread and it's fun.

On 12/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, Professor K said:

I know I paid too much but it's the only way to get this stuff anymore. One person bid it up about 800 bucks on the last bid but came 200 short of my high.

First off, sweet MM12!

For clarification, do you mean that you put in a high bid before the 3 minute reset (very end of the auction) and that the underbidder was only $200 below your high bid?

On 12/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, buttock said:

You don't like logging on, having to reset the page after it autoscrolls, then waiting 15 seconds to reset the display from 20 books to 100, then scrolling through 5 pages of really clunky and slow UI, having to make a bunch of extra clicks to watch books, then repeat that all over again for the next section in the auction? 

You should write to them and tell them. Rob ...the consignment guy said they listen to suggestions, that they are still fixing it.

I wish I could have figured out all that you just said when he told me that. I just knew it was a PITA...but couldn't put it into words.

I did ask for a LIST of the books I'm watching or have bid on, instead of having to go through the "emails".