• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2023 at 10:54 AM, ThothAmon said:

Just checked mine. Noticed an outstanding balance for shipping:tonofbricks: Guess thanks are due for the thread or I might not have realized until Vinnies’s next “signature auction” :baiting:

Same with me. I paid with check. I called and paid the shipping over the phone. Lady was very pleasant, said something to the effect that it's something they need to fix in the checkout process. Still waiting for the book. 

On 1/7/2023 at 7:42 AM, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, apparently ComicConnect doesn't take credit cards over a certain amount now. 

Not 100% sure about this, but I thought CC always had something like a $2,500 credit card limit amount in place for the longest while.  hm  (shrug)

On 1/9/2023 at 11:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Not 100% sure about this, but I thought CC always had something like a $2,500 credit card limit amount in place for the longest while.  hm  (shrug)

They used to have a $10,000 credit card limit. At one time CConnect was not charging anything extra for credit card payments, so if somebody paid by credit card, the seller ended up getting slightly less money. I guess some sellers of books in the $2,501–$10,000 range complained. Those sellers lost some bidders (including me, in some cases) because of that change, but they must think that they come out ahead overall. CConnect has told me that larger credit card payments might be allowed for an additional 3% fee, but I recommend checking with them before bidding.

Edited by jimbo_7071

Hey Everyone. Hope all is going great. I received my Marvel Mystery 12 today along with the signed Jack Kirby photo. The photo was an impulse buy but it's actually really nice. Nicely framed and matted. Even has a thick metal strap on the back for easy hanging :).  And a certificate of authenticity signed by Quentin Eastman :headbang:.   Real happy with the comic too. Nice strong color and clean. The scans don't do it justice. One problem though maybe you guys can help me out. There is a piece of plastic in the holder on the book right next to the L in Marvel. Looks like a broken pin or something like that. 99% sure its not touching the actual paper but I can't have it like this.......just can't do it. 

So I guess my options are either get it reholdered or regraded. And if I get it regraded maybe I should get it pressed by CCS on the way. There is a little warping on the left bottom and maybe a press could fix that. (It's only noticable when looking at it from a flat view).  I never got a GA book pressed and I'm thinking it might be unwise as well as a waste of money. And I guess I'm gonna lose the QES sticker either way. Maybe CC will send me another one. I am totally stoked to have this book though. 

My scans and the CC scan. The plastic wasn't there when CC scanned it. 

1943.jpg

1944.jpg

1940-10 Marvel Mystery Comics 12.jpg

kirby 1.jpg

Edited by Professor K

On 1/13/2023 at 1:09 AM, Professor K said:

Hey Everyone. Hope all is going great. I received my Marvel Mystery 12 today along with the signed Jack Kirby photo. The photo was an impulse buy but it's actually really nice. Nicely framed and matted. Even has a thick metal strap on the back for easy hanging :).  And a certificate of authenticity signed by Quentin Eastman :headbang:.   Real happy with the comic too. Nice strong color and clean. The scans don't do it justice. One problem though maybe you guys can help me out. There is a piece of plastic in the holder on the book right next to the L in Marvel. Looks like a broken pin or something like that. 99% sure its not touching the actual paper but I can't have it like this.......just can't do it. 

So I guess my options are either get it reholdered or regraded. And if I get it regraded maybe I should get it pressed by CCS on the way. There is a little warping on the left bottom and maybe a press could fix that. (It's only noticable when looking at it from a flat view).  I never got a GA book pressed and I'm thinking it might be unwise as well as a waste of money. And I guess I'm gonna lose the QES sticker either way. Maybe CC will send me another one. I am totally stoked to have this book though. 

My scans and the CC scan. The plastic wasn't there when CC scanned it. 

1943.jpg

1944.jpg

1940-10 Marvel Mystery Comics 12.jpg

kirby 1.jpg

That's what I like to see—an autograph on a photo where it belongs instead of ruining a comic book!

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/13/2023 at 7:18 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

That's what I like to see—an autograph on a photo where it belongs instead of ruining a comic book!

I've never been into autographs on anything. This one just looked good and I didn't expect to win it. I'll probably never own any Kirby OA so this will do fine.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:43 AM, Gotham Kid said:

never happens in auctions, never.

Shill bidding in an online auction is a federal crime—wire fraud—and all federal crimes are felonies. One baseball card dealer went to prison for shill bidding on eBay, but I haven't seen any prosecution in this hobby yet.

On 2/25/2023 at 2:38 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Shill bidding in an online auction is a federal crime—wire fraud—and all federal crimes are felonies. One baseball card dealer went to prison for shill bidding on eBay, but I haven't seen any prosecution in this hobby yet.

I’ll tell you what’s a federal crime, eBay’s fees, which they just elevated again. Someone should prosecute that load of BS.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:24 AM, woowoo said:

I have not sold on eBay since 2007 I think and the prices to sell were higher than and that stopped me. I now rarely buy on eBay since the Tax kicked in. I cannot stand the Tax when I buy when I sell not even worth it to me.

The Tax you paid to get the book.

The Tax you paid to sell the book. 

The fees to sell the book.

The shipping.

The insurance.

The time you spent to get and sell the book is worth something.

I would think at this point I lost 50%:makepoint:

EF86921C-76E2-4755-AEFD-636CF7D54BCD.gif

Aahhh......I imagine March must be coming and it's time for the Springtime auctions to kick off with another CC Event Auction right on schedule.  (thumbsu

Took a quick look at the top books and as per usual, just the same old, same old with the usual #1 suspects like Bat 1, Cap 1, Sups 1, Whiz 1, Action 1, AF 15 at the top of the list with a little sprinkle of FF 5 with the first Dr. Doom tossed into the mixture there.  :bigsmile:

Just went back to my email and rather surprisingly, not a single one of those books were included as part of their auction highlights in the email which I received from CC this past Tuesday.  They do, however, highlight a couple of interesting books which you don't tend to see come to market in that grade.  Refreshing and nice to see other books being highlighted instead of the same old, same old in every single major auction from every auction company.  :applause:

On 2/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Aahhh......I imagine March must be coming and it's time for the Springtime auctions to kick off with another CC Event Auction right on schedule.  (thumbsu

Took a quick look at the top books and as per usual, just the same old, same old with the usual #1 suspects like Bat 1, Cap 1, Sups 1, Whiz 1, Action 1, AF 15 at the top of the list with a little sprinkle of FF 5 with the first Dr. Doom tossed into the mixture there.  :bigsmile:

Just went back to my email and rather surprisingly, not a single one of those books were included as part of their auction highlights in the email which I received from CC this past Tuesday.  They do, however, highlight a couple of interesting books which you don't tend to see come to market in that grade.  Refreshing and nice to see other books being highlighted instead of the same old, same old in every single major auction from every auction company.  :applause:

If I could afford one, I would love a "same old"  Bat 1, Cap 1, Sups 1, Whiz 1, Action 1, lol...AF15, I've already owned, so it's not as interesting to me.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:36 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m sure there’s an explanation for this

3E7E6871-AE0D-4D7F-85A2-B26486E128A9.jpeg

E1244D73-D8EC-4129-B63B-FD62F5F1E4A5.png

Well, nothing to see here FOR NOW as the "fat lady' hasn't even entered the buildng yet, let alone gotten onto the stage to test out her windpipes.  :taptaptap:

Seriously though, both of these early bids won't be anywhere close to where the books are going to finished up at.  You also have to take other factors into account such as grade dates (i.e. soft grading time periods vs. tight grading time periods), visual appearances of the books, etc.   But bottom-line, these early bids still pretty much mean zilch for now.  (shrug)

And for those who like to wait until the last minute or thereabouts to bid, the good thing about the CC auction format is that they have an actual end time when the 3-minute extended time periods will start to kick in if there are any additional bids.  A bit more efficient from a personal timing POV because with the Heritage Auctions, it's a bit of guesswork and waiting around because it really depends on how fast or how slow it takes them to go through all of the previous lots which you are not interested in.  As for CL. don't care at all for their last split seconf Hail Mary auction snipers.  hm