• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

this isn't a criticism, but comic connect is auctioning a copy of blue bolt weird 112 that was auctioned by Heritage less than a year ago - when I compared the two listings, I found the scans to be significantly different.  Just a demonstration of how different the colors of the same book can appear depending the scan.  Personally, I think the Heritage scan is perhaps a touch too light- notice how light the blacks are in the grade number, and the CC is much too dark, no GA book I've seen has blacks that inky deep. The difference might be on the subtle side, but as a buyer, I rely on the accuracy of a book's scan, especially when color strikes are as important as they are to me, to determine how aggressively I plan to bid on the book.  The real question is, since both can't be right- which is closest to the actual book?

Also interesting that the book was reholdered, not sure why that happened?  

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.08.37 PM.png

Edited by Black Bat

It's especially tricky with so many Cole covers because of the crazy vivid colors. I recently bought a Blue Bolt Weird Tales 117 on e bay. Top pic is from e bay, middle from HA in 2021, bottom my scan from my old hp that leaves glare no matter what I do. In hand the colors don't quite live up to either image but my scan is the closest.

s-l1600.jpg

lf.jpg

1953-2 Blue Bolt  Weird Tales 117.jpg

On 6/3/2023 at 12:21 AM, Professor K said:

It's especially tricky with so many Cole covers because of the crazy vivid colors. I recently bought a Blue Bolt Weird Tales 117 on e bay. Top pic is from e bay, middle from HA in 2021, bottom my scan from my old hp that leaves glare no matter what I do. In hand the colors don't quite live up to either image but my scan is the closest.

s-l1600.jpg

Wow the ebay version is crazy.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure why you would say this since Fishler has been in the game decades longer than Heritage has? hm

Especially since his connections in the marketplace runs long and deep and he apparently has a mind like a steel trap in terms of knowing where the books are and who's interested in what.  Just take a look at the Action 1's and some of the other big books like the pre-Robin 'Tec's where it's probably more than just placing a book on his auction site, but possibly also alerting :gossip: and guiding certain potential buyers to significant books that are coming up.  Possibly not the market maker he once was in the old days prior to the rise of the auction houses, but definitely still wields a lot of influence in the marketplace.  

In addition, some of the older collectors like Jon Berk who also auctioned off his collection through CC probably has stronger ties to the old boys like Fishler, as opposed to these newer players like Ivy and Halperin who made their money elsewhere and decided to move their same game into the comic book marketplace.  By the time it's all said and done (i.e. after all fees and any other charges), there probably wouldn't be that much difference in terms of the bottom-line, so why not give the books back to the one that probably helped you to build the bulk of your collection in the first place.  (thumbsu

Metro has been the market leader for decades. Heritage has caught up a lot. I’d say it is now 1)Metro 2) Heritage 3 Comic link

On 6/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, action1kid said:

Metro has been the market leader for decades. Heritage has caught up a lot. I’d say it is now 1)Metro 2) Heritage 3 Comic link

you're missing the forest for the trees.  Consigning decisions usually factor in perceived advantages of the Auction house clients, their reach, fees and most importantly -- the relationships between consignor and the auction house owners.  IMO its relationships that caused the collectors you cited to choose Metro.  And for Action1 kid to resurface to chime in his Metro team colors. Long time friends of the house rarely go elsewhere for a few pennies, etc. so long as there arent any loss of trust and unresolved grudges at the time of consigning.  Truth is,  with auctions you can only guess which house will yield the best results on any given day and year.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Black Bat said:

On 6/2/2023 at 10:22 PM, szav said:
On 6/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Black Bat said:

The difference might be on the subtle side

Your's and my definition of the word subtle are not well aligned friend.  I'd say the HA scan is more likely to be accurate.   Although HA seems to juice the colors a bit imo as well, CC takes it to a whole other dimension. 

More than just the word subtle, but those 2 pictures of the exact same book would indicate to me that our eyesight are also not aligned here. lol

Especially since the colors on the HA copy to the right looks artificially bright while the colors on the CC copy to the left looks more washed out than anything bright to me.  Well, at least that's what my eyes are seeing when I look at those two pictures on a side by side basis.  (shrug)

On 6/3/2023 at 3:21 AM, Professor K said:

s-l1600.jpg

lf.jpg

1953-2 Blue Bolt  Weird Tales 117.jpg

Right on with all this. It's funny, I've stared at ebay scans of Blue Bolt #117 in particular trying to assess if they were amped up, as it's one of the remaining issues I need. I keep hoping to find a copy with the deep purples (top area) and jade greens (bottom area) that the scans often seem to promise... sadly I don't have any copy at all yet. (Yours is still quite nice!)

On 6/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, Point Five said:

Right on with all this. It's funny, I've stared at ebay scans of Blue Bolt #117 in particular trying to assess if they were amped up, as it's one of the remaining issues I need. I keep hoping to find a copy with the deep purples (top area) and jade greens (bottom area) that the scans often seem to promise... sadly I don't have any copy at all yet. (Yours is still quite nice!)

Thanks, for a 4.0 it's not bad. I've also been looking for around a 6.0 to 7.0 or even higher, graded or ungraded, that has the colors this book should have. Me, you, and probably a bunch of other people out there. 

On 6/4/2023 at 1:42 AM, action1kid said:

How do you define "the market leader"?  If it's based on gross sales or net income, Heritage must be #1 by miles.

On 6/4/2023 at 10:15 AM, october said:

Yeah. Can't imagine it's even close.

Agreed. CC definitely sells amazing books, but I've never seen them or any other auction house come remotely close to the consistent level of insane books Heritage gets in their auctions.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, Black Bat said:

this isn't a criticism, but comic connect is auctioning a copy of blue bolt weird 112 that was auctioned by Heritage less than a year ago - when I compared the two listings, I found the scans to be significantly different.  Just a demonstration of how different the colors of the same book can appear depending the scan.  Personally, I think the Heritage scan is perhaps a touch too light- notice how light the blacks are in the grade number, and the CC is much too dark, no GA book I've seen has blacks that inky deep. The difference might be on the subtle side, but as a buyer, I rely on the accuracy of a book's scan, especially when color strikes are as important as they are to me, to determine how aggressively I plan to bid on the book.  The real question is, since both can't be right- which is closest to the actual book?

With respect to the reholdering, I'll hazard a guess that it's the result of an unsuccessful attempt to bump the grade. 

On 6/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Agreed. CC definitely sells amazing books, but I've never seen them or any other auction house come remotely close to the consistent level of insane books Heritage gets in their auctions.

Yep. HA routinely sells books in their weekly auctions that CC and CL would save for their prime, ultra, supreme or whatever they're called auctions. 

On 6/4/2023 at 1:15 PM, october said:

Yeah. Can't imagine it's even close.

Even in CC's big auctions they usually list a bunch of mid-grade SA Marvels and DCs, something you never see HA do in their Signature auctions. 

On 6/4/2023 at 9:53 PM, Sqeggs said:

With respect to the reholdering, I'll hazard a guess that it's the result of an unsuccessful attempt to bump the grade. 

sure, but the serial number stayed the same which sounds more like a reholdering.  Could have been sent to CCS to crack and maybe press and regrade, but was deemed a bad candidate, so ended up reholdered instead?

On 6/4/2023 at 8:55 AM, tth2 said:

How do you define "the market leader"?  If it's based on gross sales or net income, Heritage must be #1 by miles.

If we are just comparing gross sales on back issue comicbooks, I would bet that My Comic Shop would be in the top two, if not first overall.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:05 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 6/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, tth2 said:

If we are just comparing gross sales on back issue comicbooks, I would bet that My Comic Shop would be in the top two, if not first overall.

Wasn't Heritage doing $10-15m per Signature Auction last year?  And that doesn't even include their weekly auctions.  I find it hard to believe that MCS is doing that kind of volume.