• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Someone bought the San Francisco copy of MMC 47 9.2 for $20k in 2019, somehow improved it to a 9.4 and sold it again this week in CCs auction for . . . wait for it . . . $20k. D’oh

The whole upgrading to a higher grade after a press, cleaning or what have you doesn't work anymore as long as the book sold publicly is easily searched/viewed. This was not the first time this sort of thing happened. 

The only thing something like that would benefit if it was previously say a mid grade copy,  and after some work done, is now in the higher grade.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, Aman619 said:

prob the grade they were selling it at Pre CGC.  Id think its leftover data in their database that made it onto the sticker. Like their grade when they sent it in to CGC to compare with later.

Hi Aman, do you think that's what it is? Well obviously you do so disregard that question. I've never noticed that pre- grade on any other label.

It does seem to be the most likely meaning. 

Seems kind of a useless thing. I wonder if a book they thought was a 1.8 came back a 3.5 they'd say pre 1.8 :drumroll:

On 6/11/2023 at 4:34 AM, Aman619 said:

prob the grade they were selling it at Pre CGC.  Id think its leftover data in their database that made it onto the sticker. Like their grade when they sent it in to CGC to compare with later.

For a second I was going to post that it's probably strictly a one-way street, because Metro wasn't going to ever advertise that they graded a book lower than CGC.  But then I came to my senses and realized how ridiculous that statement would be.

On 6/11/2023 at 1:10 AM, comicnoir said:

Nice. Thanks for the info. Didn't know they had an archives.

Yes, like the HA archives except the CC one is sorted in descending order by CGC grade, as opposed to HA's descending order by price.  (thumbsu

You simply have to input the book you want to see at he top, check the "Search Sold Items" box, and then hit the "Submit" button.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/10/2023 at 9:27 PM, Professor K said:

Hi Aman, do you think that's what it is? Well obviously you do so disregard that question. I've never noticed that pre- grade on any other label.

It does seem to be the most likely meaning. 

Seems kind of a useless thing. I wonder if a book they thought was a 1.8 came back a 3.5 they'd say pre 1.8 :drumroll:

It’s plausible, but you’d have to work at Metro to know why it says that.  It can be useful to track your own grading against the “actual” slabbed grade so you can plan your submission values/tiers.  Too high and you pay too much.  Too low and you risk a bump up.

I dont think we were supposed to ever see the Pre-CGC grade data.  Prob a data entry error.  So if the reverse were the case, getting a higher CGC grade than theirs, we might also see it if that book had same data entry error..  maybe Metro will come straighten us out!

Edited by Aman619

On 6/12/2023 at 1:45 AM, buttock said:
On 6/12/2023 at 12:21 AM, tth2 said:

You mean if Metro undergraded a book? :roflmao:

That's like one of those buddhist mind exercises of imagining something impossible.

"What's the sound of one hand clapping?"

"What if metropolis undergraded a book?"

Never mind trying to do a buddhist mind exercise, I'd be too distracted by the sight of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. 

On 6/10/2023 at 3:34 PM, Aman619 said:

prob the grade they were selling it at Pre CGC. 

They've had it since the late '90's!?!?

On 6/20/2023 at 1:14 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Some recent solid sales.

IMG_0534.jpeg

That's a big hair cut from the $432k that a 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage in 2022, particularly considering that the Heritage copy's PQ was only OW-W versus the W pages of this CC copy.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, tth2 said:

That's a big hair cut from the $432k that a 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage in 2022, particularly considering that the Heritage copy's PQ was only OW-W versus the W pages of this CC copy.

True, but I was comparing it more to the somewhat older sales on Heritage. A step down from books selling last year during the boom for sure, but still impressive result. Like compared to this one.

IMG_0539.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/19/2023 at 10:14 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

IMG_0536.jpeg

On 6/19/2023 at 10:29 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

A step down from books selling last year during the boom for sure, but still impressive result.

A bit of the same scenario for the CGC 2.0 copy of Bat 1 selling for $176.5K when CC had sold a slighly higher graded CGC 2.5 copy for $270K back in March of 2022, albeit the scarcer "No Dot" version which might have helped to bump up the price a bit:  hm  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/946200

bat1.20670_2.jpg

Then again, a pretty impressive result when compared to Heritage's slightly lower CGC 1.8 graded copies which they sold for only $126K and $$144K back in January and March respectively of this 2023 year.  :applause: