• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what price the Seven Seas 4 finished at? 

I was thinking thinking $7000 was low as gocollect suggests a FMV around $12 thousand?

Also does anyone know the hammer price on the Okajima Copy of Catman 21?

Edited by blackterror

On 6/8/2023 at 10:15 PM, blackterror said:

Does anyone know what price the Seven Seas 4 finished at? 

I was thinking thinking $7000 was low as gocollect suggests a FMV around $12 thousand?

Also does anyone know the hammer price on the Okajima Copy of Catman 21?

The Okajima Catman #21 sold for $5,300.

The 3.0 Seven Seas #4 went for $7,501.

On 6/8/2023 at 3:24 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I did not know Daring 1 was the 1st Schomburg cover! And it looks like I’m the only one that didn’t - I need to get out more, I guess. To me, that is as significant as Stan Lees 1st work for Timely in Cap 3. Guess there’s another book added to my want list

It's a close call. Daring Mystery #1 street date was Oct. 30th, '39 as opposed to Nov. 17th, '39 for Marvel Mystery #3, but they're both January books and it wouldn't surprise me if Alex tuned in the Marvel Mystery assignment earlier given Goodman's desire to continue promoting the Angel.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

WOW, Wow, wow, you certainly don't see these magazines showing up in the marketplace everyday:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988044

wow2.9.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988089

wow2.11_1.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988088

wow2.10_1.jpg

The last time being the Jon Berk Auction back in the summer of 2017 with respect to Wow 3 and 4, and even further back for the Wow 1.:popcorn: :taptaptap:

On 6/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm going to start a pool where people can places bets on how long you can go without mentioning the Jon Berk auction.

:baiting:

Well, I guess this shows you that he indeed must have had some of the rarest early books in his personal collection since no other copies have made their way into the marketplace in the interim.  hm  (thumbsu

I noticed something that I hadn't seen before. This book graded 1.8 with a Metropolis sticker on the back stating "pre-CGC VG- 3.5" . 

I looked for another but couldn't find one. Is this normal for them? Are they just stating that they disagree with the grade? It is a great looking 1.8.

Screenshots_2023-06-05-15-56-44.png

zip1.461.jpg

On 6/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, BriD. said:

I noticed something that I hadn't seen before. This book graded 1.8 with a Metropolis sticker on the back stating "pre-CGC VG- 3.5" . 

I looked for another but couldn't find one. Is this normal for them? Are they just stating that they disagree with the grade? It is a great looking 1.8.

Screenshots_2023-06-05-15-56-44.png

zip1.461.jpg

These are the notes:

chews full bottom of front cover
spine of cover completely split & re-attached with tape
tape centerfold
tape interior cover
moderate staining to cover

The 1.8 grade seems accurate in light of the notes. The taped spine isn't readily apparent in the scan, but Metro should have known the book wasn't a 3.5.

And what kind of chews are those, bug or rodent? I've never seen chews in quite that pattern—granted, I don't seek out chewed books.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

These are the notes:

chews full bottom of front cover
spine of cover completely split & re-attached with tape
tape centerfold
tape interior cover
moderate staining to cover

The 1.8 grade seems accurate in light of the notes. The taped spine isn't readily apparent in the scan, but Metro should have known the book wasn't a 3.5.

And what kind of chews are those, bug or rodent? I've never seen chews in quite that pattern—granted, I don't seek out chewed books.

I agree the 1.8 seems correct. Just not sure why Metro bothered with  "Pre-CGC" grade on the label. What does that even mean? (shrug)