• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 6:13 AM, tth2 said:

and all those who owned the Mile High copy of MM 3 are awesome people who stride the Earth like gods.

You forgot to finish the second part of your statement here.............and all those who have sold the Mile High copy of MM 3 are appallingly horrible people who slither the Earth like fallen gods who've succumbed to the whims of the anti-Christ or to the Devil himself.  (tsk)  lol

On 3/19/2023 at 1:27 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah that's a tough one to find. I wonder if anyone here has one of the 5 Blue's or 4 Purples. 

I have the 1.5 Blue of New Comics 2, and happy to have it. It’s the second copy I’ve owned; the first was the one from the Bridwell collection and I picked it up right after Phil Levine bought the collection. I sold it to Rick Frogge in 1991.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:16 PM, IngelsFan said:

I have the 1.5 Blue of New Comics 2, and happy to have it. It’s the second copy I’ve owned; the first was the one from the Bridwell collection and I picked it up right after Phil Levine bought the collection. I sold it to Rick Frogge in 1991.

That's awesome. One of the elite few.  I see someone just bought the .5 from CC for 850.00. I wonder where the one you sold is today, or if it ever got slabbed. 

On 3/20/2023 at 5:30 PM, Professor K said:

That's awesome. One of the elite few.  I see someone just bought the .5 from CC for 850.00. I wonder where the one you sold is today, or if it ever got slabbed. 

I haven’t seen a slabbed one yet that looked like it. I had the 2 and 3 from Bridwell; the 2 was really rough, and the 3 had a big ding thru 2/3 of the book. I love these early paper cover-to-cover books; they are super scarce pieces of history. 

On 3/21/2023 at 6:15 AM, lou_fine said:
On 3/20/2023 at 9:13 PM, tth2 said:

and all those who owned the Mile High copy of MM 3 are awesome people who stride the Earth like gods.

You forgot to finish the second part of your statement here.............and all those who have sold the Mile High copy of MM 3 are appallingly horrible people who slither the Earth like fallen gods who've succumbed to the whims of the anti-Christ or to the Devil himself.  (tsk)  lol

I've managed to learn to live with the shame and horror of it all.

image.jpeg.b7e1ea4c81fbea1af3d63846e9ac3ae7.jpeg

On 3/21/2023 at 6:39 AM, Professor K said:

Very good points. Now you've convinced me back. You know I'm only kidding around. I love Mystery Men 3 .I was the one who said MM3 will probably sell for more than MM2 over time a few posts back. But before I completely discounted @adamstrange description of the cover of Mystery Men 3 I looked up the term Fashion Model Pose and I found these right away. :whatthe:

1b9935f624a80ab34389c2fa492c1f4a.jpg

09-1918-Image_14_WILLIE_NINJA_STUDIO_E._23RD_.width-1440_ZIETyjI920pAOupo.jpg

Thank god I sold the book!  I'll never be able to look at it the same way again!

On 3/21/2023 at 12:26 AM, tth2 said:

Thank god I sold the book!  I'll never be able to look at it the same way again!

That's how I felt just by hearing him call it a second banana hero posing like a female fashion model. Some things you just can unhear. hm   Tecnically he's running with the weight of a woman on one side while turning quickly and shooting a guy across the room. I think that's exactly how it would look.  This conversation is going on in this thread and the Fox Appreciation thread at the same time which is kind of unique and Dan made an excellent post about it in the Fox thread. Everyone has different thoughts and favorites and without that this wouldn't be so fun. I can totally see why MM2 is so appealling and would be considered the best cover of the series. Personally I like #'s 3 and 10 best followed very closely by #2. :peace:

On 3/21/2023 at 1:40 AM, Professor K said:

Tecnically he's running with the weight of a woman on one side while turning quickly and shooting a guy across the room. I think that's exactly how it would look.

It's beautifully drawn, with glossy, appealing colors. And, to repeat, it is a great cover.  Jon had the Church runs of National and Hit which he sold to pay for original art, but he couldn't bear to let go of any of his very fine Fox Fine comics until he sold the collection

On 3/21/2023 at 1:40 AM, Professor K said:

I can totally see why MM2 is so appealling and would be considered the best cover of the series.

.I think that 8, 10, and 30 are more interesting and scarcer than the either the 2 or the 3.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:24 PM, tth2 said:

I've managed to learn to live with the shame and horror of it all.

image.jpeg.b7e1ea4c81fbea1af3d63846e9ac3ae7.jpeg

Hey, hey, you don't have the right to post pictures like that anymore............................ever since you sold your copy of Uncle Scrooge for 90 big ones in the same auction where you sold your Mystery Men 3 for $78K.  (tsk)  lol

Heritage also had a nicely presenting Moderate Restored (A-3) PLOD copy in one of their weekend auctions last month that sold for $1,680:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/miscellaneous/new-comics-2-dc-1936-cgc-apparent-vg-fn-50-moderate-a-3-off-white-pages/a/122307-13612.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, New Comics #2 (DC, 1936) CGC Apparent VG/FN 5.0 Moderate (A-3) Off-white pages....

In their description, Heritage stated that this was the first copy they had seen in more than 8 years.  In the same weekend auction, they also had a CGC 1.8 graded Qualified GLOD copy of an almost as rare New Adventure 13 which was sold for $1,920.  It was described as being only the second copy HA had ever encountered, with the first being the Lost valley copy 8 years ago.  Trailing the pack was a CGC 1.8 graded copy of New Book of Comics 2 with Slightly Brittle pages that was sold for $960.  (thumbsu

Personally, I've always found that although relative scarcity tends to increase the value of a book over time, extreme rarity tends to hold the value down due to the lack of market turnover in the form of reinforcing sales which a books needs in order to propel prices ever upwards at a faster pace.  hm  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/20/2023 at 5:16 PM, IngelsFan said:

Wow, big congrats to you on having one of the top unrestored graded copies of New Comics 2 then. :applause:

On 3/20/2023 at 5:50 PM, IngelsFan said:

I wonder where the one you sold is today, or if it ever got slabbed. 

I haven’t seen a slabbed one yet that looked like it. I had the 2 and 3 from Bridwell; the 2 was really rough, and the 3 had a big ding thru 2/3 of the book. I love these early paper cover-to-cover books; they are super scarce pieces of history. 

Totally agree with you as I also loved these very early paper cover books since they come from a time period where books are truly rare.  (thumbsu

In a similar vein, I also absolutely love the large squarebound 100-pagers with the cardboard covers like New Book of Comics and the very early World's Finest issues as they are so thick and heavy and rumors are that they tend to be much harder to "monkey" with.  :luhv:

BTW:  On the topic of New Comics 2, since you seem to be a very knowledgeable collector of these early pre-hero books, have you ever heard of the possibility that a copy of this book from the so-called pre-hero "pencilled S" collection might actually exist?  hm  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Just think of what the demand for the New Comics run would have been like if the covers had been drawn by Flessel and Guardineer.

And Flanagan!

On 3/21/2023 at 12:11 AM, lou_fine said:

Wow, big congrats to you on having one of the top unrestored graded copies of New Comics 2 then. :applause:

Totally agree with you as I also loved these very early paper cover books since they come from a time period where books are truly rare.  (thumbsu

In a similar vein, I also absolutely love the large squarebound 100-pagers with the cardboard covers like New Book of Comics and the very early World's Finest issues as they are so thick and heavy and rumors are that they tend to be much harder to "monkey" with.  :luhv:

BTW:  On the topic of New Comics 2, since you seem to be a very knowledgeable collector of these early pre-hero books, have you ever heard of the possibility that a copy of this book from the so-called pre-hero "pencilled S" collection might actually exist?  hm  :wishluck:

I haven’t seen nor heard of a “pencilled S” New 2. The only unslabbed copies I know are are (potentially) the Bridwell and the one that sold on eBay last October. That one presented well enough but the spine was completely split. Even with that defect it went for $1858.

Edited by IngelsFan

On 3/21/2023 at 8:12 AM, adamstrange said:
On 3/21/2023 at 7:51 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Just think of what the demand for the New Comics run would have been like if the covers had been drawn by Flessel and Guardineer.

And Flanagan!

Now, now..........let's not go there or you just might send prices up into the stratosphere where we would never be able to afford them.  :frown:

Although rarer, these very early humor theme covers generate less demand and hence lower prices even though they tend to show up on a far less frequent basis.  Contrast that to the more in demand adventure theme covers where the prices can get quite erratic and go rather ballistic at times when they do come to market:  :Rocket:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-condition-apparent-gd-vg/a/122207-13007.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....

A raw graded Restored G/VG copy of Adventure Comics 33 selling for over $5K or more than 9X condition guide value in February of 2022; or  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-45-dc-1939-condition-gd-/a/122213-17630.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, More Fun Comics #45 (DC, 1939) Condition: GD+....

A raw graded Good+ copy of More Fun 45 selling for $4,800 or almost a whopping 20X condition guide value back in March of 2022.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/20/2023 at 11:16 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/20/2023 at 10:40 PM, Professor K said:

I can totally see why MM2 is so appealling and would be considered the best cover of the series.

.I think that 8, 10, and 30 are more interesting and scarcer than the either the 2 or the 3.

With your long term experience and knowledge with these books here, what's your opinion on Mystery Men 7 with respect to scarcity?  hm

Especially since the CGC census indicates the only relatively HG copy being the Church at 8.0 and the other remaining 10 Universal copies all in CGC 4.0 and below.  Looks like the Larson copy won't help here since Tricarichi shows it in his Larson List as having a coupon cut out of the back cover along with a 3/4 inch tear on the back cover at the spine.  :frown:

On 3/20/2023 at 11:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Heritage also had a nicely presenting Moderate Restored (A-3) PLOD copy in one of their weekend auctions last month that sold for $1,680:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/platinum-age-1897-1937-/miscellaneous/new-comics-2-dc-1936-cgc-apparent-vg-fn-50-moderate-a-3-off-white-pages/a/122307-13612.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, New Comics #2 (DC, 1936) CGC Apparent VG/FN 5.0 Moderate (A-3) Off-white pages....

In their description, Heritage stated that this was the first copy they had seen in more than 8 years.  In the same weekend auction, they also had a CGC 1.8 graded Qualified GLOD copy of an almost as rare New Adventure 13 which was sold for $1,920.  It was described as being only the second copy HA had ever encountered, with the first being the Lost valley copy 8 years ago.  Trailing the pack was a CGC 1.8 graded copy of New Book of Comics 2 with Slightly Brittle pages that was sold for $960.  (thumbsu

Personally, I've always found that although relative scarcity tends to increase the value of a book over time, extreme rarity tends to hold the value down due to the lack of market turnover in the form of reinforcing sales which a books needs in order to propel prices ever upwards at a faster pace.  hm  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Extreme rarity also means fewer people placing bids to protect the value of the copies they own.  And fewer people talking about how valuable it is and how much it should be worth because they have one, some or many.

If you have an Ultimate Fallout in 9.8, you can rest assured that many, many people will be happy to talk about how it's worth a fortune..

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES