• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2023 at 12:35 PM, lou_fine said:

I was actually looking at this one here last night and wondering if potential bidders might bid a bit higher with possible resto removal in mind:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/885416

pep1.1193.jpg

Especially since the slight restoration is apparently limited to only a small amount of glue on the cover and interior.  Then again, there's the Slightly Brittle pages, so who really knows.  (shrug)

I'm starting to believe that the owner had already talked to a resto. expert about removal and likely advised to leave the book as is due to the brittleness of the paper and/or it would significantly damage the book if removal is attempted. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Those books are interesting to people who have copies or hope to buy copies; I don't watch books like that because I don't swim in that end of the pool and don't ever plan to.

Well then, how about books like these two here since they both seem to present nicely relative to their assigned CGC grades and as we all know here, you can never ever go wrong with some early Fox books:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988078

mys5.335.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/978351

mys5.333.jpg

Well, just took a quick look and it seems that they've certainly moved up from last night, especially with respect to the Mystery Men 2 with its beautiful early robot cover.  I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise though since copies in the CGC 3.0 to 3.5 condition range have been selling in the >$6K price range for the past year or so, which means that we should still see some additional bids come in as it gets closer to the 3-minute bell. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Those books are interesting to people who have copies or hope to buy copies; I don't watch books like that because I don't swim in that end of the pool and don't ever plan to.

And if you're not into the early Fox books, although not a Punch 12 or even a Punch 9, then how about a Punch 1 since it's still a GA 1st issue:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/971893

pun1.184.jpg

Thought it looked like a steal of as deal last night when I saw it at only $656, but probably still a deal even at its current bid of $2,405.  Especially since the last equivalent CGC 7.0 graded copy sold for a rather astounding $3,840 back in April of 2022 even though it seem to have slightly less visual appeal than the CC copy and clearly inferior PQ in the form of only Cream to Off-White pages.  In addition to strong price points being realized on this book in the scant few sales it did have prior to the pandemic.  hm  (thumbsu

Considering its relative scarcity with a total of only 17 Universal copies and this one here still being in the Top 5, I imagine there might just be a few more bids tossed into the ring if it remains at this same price point when the 3-minute bell rings.  (shrug)  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

For your third at bat, taking a back seat to both the classic and iconic PL 17 and PL 23, then how about a nice Phantom Lady 16:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/991604

pha1.245.jpg

Personally, I've always like the Baker cover on Phantom Lady 16 and consider it to the THE classic negligee cover when it comes to GGA cover artwork, and the 3rd best cover in this Baker PL run behind the obvious Big 2.  :cloud9:

Had a chance to acquire a supposed nice HG copy way back in the day, but ended up missing it somehow for some reason which I can't quite remember now.  Probably for the best though since it was a Mark Wilson copy and if I do remember correctly, he did not sound quite that definitive in his answer when I asked him if he had "touched" the book in any way and possibly that was enough of a red flag to me.  hm  (shrug)

Looking back now, total regrets as I probably should have taken it anyways.  :(  

On 3/16/2023 at 12:35 PM, lou_fine said:

I was actually looking at this one here last night and wondering if potential bidders might bid a bit higher with possible resto removal in mind:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/885416

pep1.1193.jpg

Especially since the slight restoration is apparently limited to only a small amount of glue on the cover and interior.  Then again, there's the Slightly Brittle pages, so who really knows.  (shrug)

Easily arguable as a being at least as influential, if not more so than, any other book coming up tonight.   And I say that as a guy who no longer has one

On 3/16/2023 at 11:48 AM, lou_fine said:

Another day, another round of CC auctions although from a GA POV, appears to be pretty much a yawner as compared to past 2 days. (shrug)

Oh the bidders are out there. I can hear them breathing. . . .

89258D2A-463E-447E-AAA9-5D050A7ED9C8.gif

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/16/2023 at 3:58 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Oh the bidders are out there. I can hear them breathing. . . .

89258D2A-463E-447E-AAA9-5D050A7ED9C8.gif

Or that might just have been snoring that you heard as I had to go and take a nap the past two nights when they had that onerously long run of ASM Spidey's and Fantastc Four's to grind their way through.  zzz  lol

On 3/16/2023 at 6:02 PM, lou_fine said:

For your third at bat, taking a back seat to both the classic and iconic PL 17 and PL 23, then how about a nice Phantom Lady 16:  :luhv:

pha1.245.jpg

Personally, I've always like the Baker cover on Phantom Lady 16 and consider it to the THE classic negligee cover when it comes to GGA cover artwork, and the 3rd best cover in this Baker PL run behind the obvious Big 2.  :cloud9:

Had a chance to acquire a supposed nice HG copy way back in the day, but ended up missing it somehow for some reason which I can't quite remember now.  Probably for the best though since it was a Mark Wilson copy and if I do remember correctly, he did not sound quite that definitive in his answer when I asked him if he had "touched" the book in any way and possibly that was enough of a red flag to me.  hm  (shrug)

PL 16 is definitely not by Baker.  Just look at the hands.

It is still a marvelous cover

On 3/16/2023 at 5:02 PM, lou_fine said:

pha1.245.jpg

There's a 9.2 Promise Collection copy on fleabay at the moment asking for a hefty price, but you can always make an offer. :D 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:03 PM, adamstrange said:

PL 16 is definitely not by Baker.  Just look at the hands.

Any possibility that it might have been a group effort and Baker did a good portion of the cover art since Overstreet, CGC, and the Grand Comics Database continues to give cover credits for this issue to Baker?  (shrug)

On 3/16/2023 at 9:03 PM, adamstrange said:

It is still a marvelous cover

That it most certainly is.  (thumbsu

On 3/16/2023 at 5:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Well then, how about books like these two here since they both seem to present nicely relative to their assigned CGC grades and as we all know here, you can never ever go wrong with some early Fox books:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988078

mys5.335.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/978351

mys5.333.jpg

Well, just took a quick look and it seems that they've certainly moved up from last night, especially with respect to the Mystery Men 2 with its beautiful early robot cover.  I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise though since copies in the CGC 3.0 to 3.5 condition range have been selling in the >$6K price range for the past year or so, which means that we should still see some additional bids come in as it gets closer to the 3-minute bell. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I haven't been paying attention to prices, but if low-grade copies are selling for that much, that's insane. They must have gotten hot, but I can't see that sort of price as a good value.

I guess recent auctions have been yawners for me because none of my personal grails have shown up in the grades I'm looking for. The only book I thought about bidding on last night was the Church Planet #58, but I decided I wasn't crazy about the wrap on it. If it were a scarcer issue, I would have gone after it, but that issue is extremely common.

It really comes down to opportunity costs. I'd rather save my funds so that if one of my personal grails does come up, I'll be able to go after it. I wouldn't touch a Fox book right now; it's silly for those books to be selling for the prices that they've been fetching lately.

So the Cap 1 did hit 300. I didn't think it would after the comiclink sale. Here are a few that went high. Showcase 6 is kind of a historic book. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-17_053946_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-17_053444_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-17_053623_www.comicconnect.com.png

Edited by Professor K

On 3/17/2023 at 5:00 AM, Professor K said:

So the Cap 1 did hit 300. I didn't think it would after the comiclink sale. Here are a few that went high. Showcase 6 is kind of a historic book. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-17_053946_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-17_053444_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-17_053623_www.comicconnect.com.png

I looked at and considered the Showcase 6. It really is a beautiful copy. Whoever the consignor was, he was mos def a Challengers fan. He had all 4 Showcase issues and issue #1. I wasn’t sure how much appetite there was for these characters out there in the world, and the final hammer price surprised me

The "Microsoft Copy"??

Gotta love these marketing gimmicks! It wasn't good enough that this was already the Bethlehem copy and in its defined pedigree slab/label as such!

Heritage does the same thing. There was a thread recently in Comics General on a "Kane Collection" and it's provenance/story. Not much further info came out of that.

I don't mind the additional historical info. It's great to know the origin/provenance of a book, but these auction houses don't provide any additional background. I don't get physical copies any longer of auction catalogs, so I don't know if it these are expanded upon there.

image.thumb.png.4afcc241ae6d8104719e5af351ae00a6.png

On 3/17/2023 at 3:00 AM, Professor K said:

Here are a few that went high. Showcase 6 is kind of a historic book. 

On 3/17/2023 at 4:03 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I looked at and considered the Showcase 6. It really is a beautiful copy. Whoever the consignor was, he was mos def a Challengers fan. He had all 4 Showcase issues and issue #1. I wasn’t sure how much appetite there was for these characters out there in the world, and the final hammer price surprised me

Yeah, I was also kind of shocked at what the Showcase 6 had gone for at almost $17K, so I decided to pull up the listing and listened to Vinnie's video.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Found it kind of funny how he said they used to joked that Showcase was really Slowcase, but now no more as it IS clearly DC's undervalued title in their panethn of titles.  Not sure if there are any rumours of a possible DCU movie with James Gunn looking for new characters, but it seems that this series has really shot up in value since the pandemic lockdown.  hm

Decisded to check the Heritage and CC archives and it looks like Heritage was able to fetch only a piddly $4,680 for their equivalent CGC 8.5 graded copy of Slowcase 6 back in February of 2019, but was then able to auction off a CGC 9.0 copy of Showcase 6 for a rather stunning $26.4 in June of 2022.  Decided to check out the biggie (i.e. Showcase 22 in CGC 6.5) which Vinnie was holding in his hand which went for over $17.5K last night and also noticed in their CC archives that they auctioned off a CGC 7.5 graded copy of Showcase 22 for over $50K back in December of 2022.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

So, like Vinnie was saying in his video, Showcase is no longer Slowcase.  lol

Yeah someone had some high grade Challengers they parted with fer sure. They don't get much higher than those. They do have historical importance being I believe the forerunner to Fantastic Four and before Justice League and all. Many consider SC 4 to be the first Silver but an argument could be made for SC 6. Don't know why they would call it slowcase. Issue 4 and 22 were never slow, were they? Issue 30 is awesome. And the rest are 2nd tier characters so what could they expect. And what the heck does microsoft copy mean? From the collection of Bill Gates? If so I could see why they call it microsoft copy instead. Not exactly a well liked chap.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Any possibility that it might have been a group effort and Baker did a good portion of the cover art since Overstreet, CGC, and the Grand Comics Database continues to give cover credits for this issue to Baker?  

The PL credits have been off for decades.

I can see the PL face inset as having involved Baker but I see zero Baker with the main figure.

On 3/17/2023 at 5:50 AM, DanCooper said:

The "Microsoft Copy"??

On 3/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, Professor K said:

And what the heck does microsoft copy mean? From the collection of Bill Gates? If so I could see why they call it microsoft copy instead. Not exactly a well liked chap.

Yeah, I was watching that video and thought Vinnie might use the opportunity to explain the orign of this "Microsoft Copy", but nada.  :facepalm:

On 3/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, Professor K said:

Don't know why they would call it slowcase. Issue 4 and 22 were never slow, were they?

Yep, pretty much dead slow for the longest time in comparison to all of the SA Marvel keys which has risen virtually non-stop for decades.  :(

On 3/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, adamstrange said:

The PL credits have been off for decades.

I can see the PL face inset as having involved Baker but I see zero Baker with the main figure.

The left arm...:sick: