• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, Telegan said:

Good grief, I just saw a YouTube video with that Dynamic Comics #8 CGC 4.5 that sold for in the $39,251 (over $45k with BP) in the latest CC auction.  Wow.

Is that book really worth that much?  I'm not familiar with the data price points for this particular book. Yeah I know it's rare, hardly ever does it come up for sale, but I don't get the appeal of the cover if you ask me.  For a Chesler book, I'd rather pay this amount towards a Punch 12.

On 8/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, Dark Knight said:

Is that book really worth that much?  I'm not familiar with the data price points for this particular book. Yeah I know it's rare, hardly ever does it come up for sale, but I don't get the appeal of the cover if you ask me.  For a Chesler book, I'd rather pay this amount towards a Punch 12.

Well, I always say if somebody paid for it, it's worth what they paid to somebody. :D I actually love that cover, but dang.  It's hard to tell what it should be worth other than "whatever somebody wants to pay for it".  In 2020, a 3.0 sold for $4800, in 2021 a 4.0 sold for $4300.... so, yeah... at least a couple of people wanted that comic bad.

There are only 18 CGC-graded Universal copies out there, but what's crazy is that there are 4 issues graded higher than this 4.5 and one of them is a 9.2.  I wonder if any of those will make an appearance somewhere.  That 9.2 owner may have pooped his pants if he saw that sale.

Edited by Telegan

On 8/25/2023 at 5:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, well, well.................looks like they've got a near complete run of the GA Subby comics starting from the Churchill assassination #3 issue and including a couple of nice mid-grade classic cover issues:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004634

sub1.901.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004636

sub1.903.jpg

Not sure where they'll finish up at, but should be interesting to watch as Subby 11 is currently at $8,655 and Subby 13 is at a piddly $4,417 with none of that 15% BP nuisance to add on top for either of these two books.  (thumbsu  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Lou - I love these books too.  Personally, I prefer the 13 over the 11 and to my surprise the price stayed low - but the 11 took off.  I realize many prefer the Dragon on 11 - but that 13 wow - Schomburg at his best going wild - and to me it's the best cover in the run!  I also love the covers on 5 and 6.  I think the Subby 5 in this auction was baragain priced considering it is the second highest graded copy.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:18 PM, tth2 said:

The implication from some here seems to be that in the past they've been charged the BP even though it wasn't indicated in the listing.

The impression I got was that some of the boardies/bidders here found it difficult to keep track of which lots had the 15% BP and which did not.  (shrug)

On 8/26/2023 at 5:14 AM, blackterror said:

Lou - I love these books too.  Personally, I prefer the 13 over the 11 and to my surprise the price stayed low - but the 11 took off.  I realize many prefer the Dragon on 11 - but that 13 wow - Schomburg at his best going wild - and to me it's the best cover in the run!  I also love the covers on 5 and 6.  I think the Subby 5 in this auction was baragain priced considering it is the second highest graded copy.

That Subby 11 ended at $19K. Last sale of that book in that grade was in March last year @ $7817. Impressive, even for Timelys.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:38 PM, lou_fine said:

The impression I got was that some of the boardies/bidders here found it difficult to keep track of which lots had the 15% BP and which did not.  (shrug)

Well, that's why we all had about a month or more to prepare for this auction.  I managed to write down the lots I was really interested in and split up them up into 2 columns: w/ 15% BP and w/o 15% BP.  With that divided, I would then write down my max for each one with the 15% BP calculated.  Once the auction is live, I'm well prepared to bid.  

It would be easier for bidders if CC would split up the auctions and auction all books with the 15% BP in one or two days and then the following days w/o the BP, but it is what it is.

On 8/25/2023 at 3:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Highly doubt there would be much chance of making that type of mistake like that.  (thumbsu

My guess is that a lot of the newbie consignors who's trying to squeeze every last dollar for themselves would go for the 15% BP, while many of the older longer term collectors wouldn't bother with this nuisance of a 15% BP since the net gain is only a fraction of a percentage point.  hm  

To tell you the honest truth though, I can't even remember how the convoluted 15% BP calculation works anymore, but I remember that the difference was pretty much insignificant in the grand scheme of things when they first introduced it a couple of years ago.  (shrug)

I rarely bid with the big auction houses anymore. First, the competition is fierce. If you want it, you will be paying through the nose. No one “wins” anything in an auction. Next you have a “buyer’s premium” just for the opportunity to be the most aggressive bidder. An obvious money grab that only benefits the house. Add in taxes, shipping and handling ect and you are in a lot deeper. If you bid less to compensate for this, you will most probably lose the book. You have to be willing to hang on to it for quite some time to come out ahead. Kind of a “hollow victory” in the short run. But if you want something real scarce the big auction house might be your only chance I guess. There are a lot of better things in life I am not willing to pay up for. There is always something else just around the corner to spend my money on. 

On 8/26/2023 at 9:48 AM, Robot Man said:

I rarely bid with the big auction houses anymore. First, the competition is fierce. If you want it, you will be paying through the nose. No one “wins” anything in an auction. Next you have a “buyer’s premium” just for the opportunity to be the most aggressive bidder. An obvious money grab that only benefits the house. Add in taxes, shipping and handling ect and you are in a lot deeper. If you bid less to compensate for this, you will most probably lose the book. You have to be willing to hang on to it for quite some time to come out ahead. Kind of a “hollow victory” in the short run. But if you want something real scarce the big auction house might be your only chance I guess. There are a lot of better things in life I am not willing to pay up for. There is always something else just around the corner to spend my money on. 

I 100% agree with this. Unfortunately my quest for early Detectives, A-Mans and Archie’s puts me squarely in the something real scarce camp. I’ve had no qualms about selling off more modern books from my collection to fund some of my auction buys.  I don’t sweat paying up some even if ultimately the comic wasn’t a good buy. 

On 8/26/2023 at 7:04 AM, ThothAmon said:

I 100% agree with this. Unfortunately my quest for early Detectives, A-Mans and Archie’s puts me squarely in the something real scarce camp. I’ve had no qualms about selling off more modern books from my collection to fund some of my auction buys.  I don’t sweat paying up some even if ultimately the comic wasn’t a good buy. 

Indeed and my point exactly. My collection has almost always been self funded. Like playing with the house’s money. The few times I paid up at a big auction house was for something I really wanted bad for my PC. I am a “keeper” so by now, those prices look like a real steal. The question is how bad do I really want it and how long I will have to wait to find another copy (if ever)…

On 8/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, blackterror said:

I was surprised at the #13 as well, I almost bid on it, but I already have one and the grades were too close to be a real upgrade.

.submariner13001cgc.thumb.jpg.04bc0eed9148347904d49d4489308408.jpg

On 8/25/2023 at 9:14 PM, blackterror said:

Ahhh..............a fellow boardie collector with both exqusite and immpeccable taste as I am in 110% complete agreement with your post here.  (thumbsu

Yes, yes, yes, what more can you ask for than this amazingly great cover as it has it all from the classic Schomburg babe in bondage, the menancing snake, the hodded villians, and for the latest hot specualtive craze, the hanging skeleton and the buring cauldron with the skulls and bones:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1004636

sub1.903.jpg

Although it finished up at only at only $6,850 for this nicely presenting copy, it's not necessarily a low price as it seems to be more a continuation of the slow but steady recent uptrend for this book as evident by the following mid-grade auction results at Heritage for this book during the past few years:  a CGC 7.5 copy for $4,560 in August of 2019, a CGC 8.0 copy for $7,200 in July of 2020, a CGC 5.5 copy for $4,560 in November of 2020, a CGC 4.0 copy for $2,160 in May of 2021, followed by a CGC 4.0 copy for $3,480 in January of 2022, and now this CGC 6.5 copy going for $6,850.  (thumbsu

As for Subby 11, yeah it's got the same classic Schomburg damsel in distress right inside the mouth of the dragon along with the hooded villians, but nowhere near the stunningly gorgeous image that we see in Subby 13.  Clearly a case of to each their own, but I feel what really helped to push Subby 11 into collecting prominence was when the CBM magazine had it as one of their cover features back in the mid-90's and then prices seem to go on a rocket ride after that with all of the resulting hype and demand for the cover.  :Rocket:

It seems that the collecting pickup in interest for Subby 13 relative to Subby 11 has been much more recent with Subby 11 having a 20 year head start due to the CBM cover feature.  A fantastic pickup here for the winner of the Subby 13 and I feel this book still has a lot of room to move going forward.  Reminds me a bit of the pairing of Phantom Lady 23 vs. the more established Phantom Lady 17, the more recent pairing of Seven Seas 6 vs. Seven Seas 4, or the still much under appreciated but absolutely beautifully rendered brightly colored Blue Beetle 52 vs. the long established Blue Beetle 54 GGA cover. :slapfight:  :slapfight:

Like I've said, clearly a case of to each their own, but I've always gone for the underdogs when it comes to these types of contests.    :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/26/2023 at 12:05 AM, Telegan said:

That 9.2 owner may have pooped his pants if he saw that sale.

Well, it's Fishler and his Church copy, so probably not.

I was going to post a few closed auctions of books I thought were notable but I bailed halfway through the sving process. Just so my labor of saving these pics doesn't go to waste here are a few. And congrats to the new owner of a Detective 18. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024654_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024746_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024824_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024901_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_024933_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025141_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025219_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025356_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-26_025439_www.comicconnect.com.png

Edited by Professor K

On 8/26/2023 at 6:39 PM, Point Five said:

Dude, this one is heartbreaking. You came so close!  

Oh no! I didn't realize I bid on it!. I haven't been this embarrassed since I bet against myself in craps in  AC and rolled a 7 on my first roll. Everyone was laughing at me, even the dealer and stickman. True story. 

To attempt to redeem myself a little here ( and show it off one more time) , I did get this very recently for less than 10% of what that 6.5 went for. I think I could flip it for 5 or 6 easily now, but I'm not going to. 

1952-7 Startling Terror Tales 11.jpg

Edited by Professor K

On 8/26/2023 at 11:25 AM, adamstrange said:

Well, it's Fishler and his Church copy, so probably not.

Reminds me of the days when collectors use to say that Bob didn't raise prices in his guide until he had already acquired the book for his own personal collection. :bigsmile:

I've always had the opinion thst it was guys like Fishler who had much more control of the prices in the marketplace back then. hm

I remember being at Fishler's place in the mid-90's and commenting how I thought Adventure 210 with the first Krypto (who gives a care :p) was a highly overpriced book.  I remember him looking at me with that dead serious look and saying NO and that he had pretty much put that book into that price range with his sales.  Of course that was at a time when he was trying to corner the market on Fantastic 3 by scooping up every copy that was coming into the marketplace. lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, Point Five said:

Dude, this one is heartbreaking. You came so close!  

That one took forEVER to close.  One of the people bidding always waited until the last 3-5 seconds to up the bid, which, of course reset the bidding time another 3 minutes.  Thought that auction would never end. lol.