• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,503 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, Cat said:

Oh that's good, as while Johns is one of my favourite writers, I'm not exactly big on Aquaman (though I do like what little I've seen of Mera in Blackest Night and Brightest Day, and am looking forward to more of her, she's a great character under Johns) so I really hope this is the something special I've heard it talked up as. Hearing you say that really reassures me, as your opinion hasn't let me down yet. 

Well, I would advise against taking anything I say too seriously (I am a Certified Dumb Guy) but my recollection is that it's a solid read. I generally feel like you're in safe hands with Geoff Johns and legacy DC characters.  I've never been a huge Aquaman guy either, but I did like these stories, particularly the early issues which have a bit of a horror feel. Good stuff.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:39 PM, Cat said:

Please, if you need something to vote for, include All-Star Squadron! 

Infinity Inc would be nice.

On 2/12/2024 at 7:53 PM, F For Fake said:

Legion of Super-Heroes post-5yl - At the moment, there are two Legionnaires fat trades that get you partially into the post Threeboot/Archie Legion era, but not much. These need to be collected in some form, would love the omnis to continue. You could finish up all of LoSH and Legionnaires in a couple of fat omnis.

Surprising these haven't been done properly.  Lots of good stories, and art from Sprouse, Moder and Immonen.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/12/2024 at 11:02 PM, MisterX said:

3rd - Spectre by Ostrander 

Great series.  The best one after Fleisher / Aparo's. Actually, pretty much on par with each other.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/12/2024 at 12:38 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Surprising these haven't been done properly.  Lots of good stories, and art from Sprouse, Moder and Immonen.

Absolutely! I'm biased as a LoSH fan, but I'd have to think these would sell in some format. Maybe a couple of compendiums to finish out the run, since they're experimenting with that format these days. We just got the Kyle GL stories, and Nightwing and Robin are coming up. Seems like a good way to collect big chunks of those late 90's/early 00's legacy character stories. I'll buy it however they want to give it to me. There was a point in my life where I thought that I was going to have to custom-bind all of my 5YL stuff, and now we have two omnis, so anything is possible!

On 3/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Great series.  The best one after Fleisher / Aparo's. Actually, pretty much on par with each other.

It wasn't at the top of my list, but I'd pick these up for sure.

On 3/12/2024 at 4:42 PM, F For Fake said:

Absolutely! I'm biased as a LoSH fan, but I'd have to think these would sell in some format. Maybe a couple of compendiums to finish out the run, since they're experimenting with that format these days. We just got the Kyle GL stories, and Nightwing and Robin are coming up. Seems like a good way to collect big chunks of those late 90's/early 00's legacy character stories. I'll buy it however they want to give it to me. There was a point in my life where I thought that I was going to have to custom-bind all of my 5YL stuff, and now we have two omnis, so anything is possible!

They've reprinted material that's inferior by far to these books.  Good stuff that's being overlooked.

On 3/13/2024 at 2:34 AM, F For Fake said:

Well, I would advise against taking anything I say too seriously (I am a Certified Dumb Guy) but my recollection is that it's a solid read. I generally feel like you're in safe hands with Geoff Johns and legacy DC characters.  I've never been a huge Aquaman guy either, but I did like these stories, particularly the early issues which have a bit of a horror feel. Good stuff.

I feel the same way with Johns, he's generally a pretty safe bet. A horror feel? That sounds cool! I loved the moment in Blackest Night where Black Lantern Aquaman summoned dead great white sharks to kill Atlantean soldiers and Ocean Master or Black Manta, can't remember which. Anyway, cool moment. More of that kind of thing would be awesome. 

Which one is the best choice?

Release Date 8/6/2024

2308259_xl.thumb.jpg.ce6c1601f7b63d94256584687ae5cd5b.jpg

Screenshot(11).png.77d15e6d1dad816aecf182ba7cbdc08a.png

Dave Gibbons Cover

• DC Versus Marvel #1-4
  • DC/Marvel: All Access #1-4
  • Unlimited Access #1-4
  • Bat-Thing #1
  • Bruce Wayne: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
  • Bullets and Bracelets #1
  • Challengers of the Fantastic #1
  • Doctor Strangefate #1
  • Iron Lantern #1
  • Legends of the Dark Claw #1
  • Lobo the Duck #1
  • Speed Demon #1
  • Spider-Boy #1
  • Super Soldier #1
  • Thorion of the New Asgods #1
  • X-Patrol #1.

Screenshot(12).png.ae1c17d75161b8929bdeed3a35950891.png

DC Versus Marvel Omnibus Hardcover

• Batman/Captain America #1
  • Batman/Daredevil #1
  • Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire #1
  • Batman/Spider-Man #1
  • Daredevil/Batman #1
  • DC Special Series #27 – Batman Vs Hulk
  • Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger #1
  • Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances #1
  • Incredible Hulk vs. Superman #1
  • Marvel and DC Present Featuring the Uncanny X-Men and the New Teen Titans #1
  • Marvel Treasury Edition #28 – Superman And Spider-Man
  • Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights #1
  • Silver Surfer/Superman #1
  • Spider-Man and Batman #1
  • Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man #1
  • Superman/Fantastic Four #1.

This doesn't include their 2004 JLA/Avengers, which was recently reprinted in a limited run to benefit the Hero Initiative in the name of George Perez.

Screenshot(13).thumb.png.5185d5072e78e4c382c0f6ae10f3f6c0.png

Jim Lee cover

Edited by SpineTic

Been waiting on this, the Romnibus has finally gone on sale. I have no doubt it sold a lot, apparently one of the biggest pre-orders of all time, but still, four different covers, I figured it was just a matter of time before the price came down. All four covers available.

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul230816/rom-original-marvel-years-omnibus-hc-vol-01-perez-dm-var

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul230817/rom-original-marvel-years-omnibus-hc-vol-01-miller-dm-var

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul230815/rom-original-marvel-years-omnibus-hc-vol-01-buscema-dm-var

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jul230814/rom-orig-marvel-years-omnibus-hc-vol-01-miller-first-issue-c

I'm going with the X-Men cover, though I'm tempted by the Buscema.=

Also going down this week, the AXE Judgment Day omni. I didn't read this storyline so I don't know much about it, but I may pick it up if supplies last for a minute.

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jun231080/judgment-day-omnibus-hc

No "official announcement" (as DC doesn't do things the same way Marvel/Omar do) but a bunch of exciting titles have popped up on PRH:

Hellblazer by Jamie Delano Omnibus (I've been waiting on this one foreeeeeever)

Superman: The Triangle Era Omnibus (ditto)

Batman: The Cult Deluxe HC

Green Lantern Corps by Tomasi Omnibus V2

Robin: Son of Batman Deluxe HC

Scalped Omnibus

Deathstroke the Terminator by Marv Wolfman Omnibus (!!!!)

And a bunch of others.

With these fan-centric announcements, and the recent reveal of their new Epic-style DC Finest line of comprehensive trades, it feels like someone over at the DC Collected Editions dept has finally woken up!

Edited by F For Fake

Also, IST has a Spring Forward DC sale going on. These price cuts aren't as steep as their clearance prices, but at a flat 47% off (49% if you've got the repeat customer discount going) that makes some of these the cheapest they've ever been. You may hold out for a deeper cut, but if there's something you've had your eye on, you could do worse.

https://www.instocktrades.com/specials/481/dc-spring-forward-sale-2024

Target's B2G1 sale on book is on, as well as Amazon's copycat sale, and they both apply to certain comics/gn's as well. Have to say, pickings are pretty slim, didn't find anything I could use even at that price, but your mileage may vary. Happy hunting!

Edited by F For Fake

Back to the top!

So, Captain America by Nick Spencer wasn't a volume that I was in any big hurry to pick up, but I did plan to eventually get it to keep my Cap HC run going.

Cheap Graphic Novels has "Nick and Dent" copies available for $20. After tax and shipping it came to right about $30. My copy arrived today, and it looks flawless to me. Of course YMMV, but for the cost I think it's worth the risk if this is one you're thinking of getting.

https://cheapgraphicnovels.com/captain-america-by-nick-spencer-omnibus-vol-01-hc-saiz-cvr-nick-and-dent-

Also, CGN is having a Marvel 50% off sale on several books. It may not be a mind-blowing discount, but it safely makes for a better deal than current prices at IST, or the Target B2G1 sale. FF by Hickman 1 & 2 for $50 each, stuff like that. Worth a look.

https://cheapgraphicnovels.com/marvel-sale-2024/