• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2021 at 8:04 AM, piper said:

I have a relatively new printing of UXM1 (2020).  The paper is not see through like my Defenders V1.

Is it that thick matte stock, the stuff that they use on their Masterworks, and early omnibus', if you recall or have had any of them? 

The only one that had really bad paper was the first Layton Iron Man. The thinner stock is fine, I just couldn't trade down from the thick matte paper to the glossy thin paper. Yeah it bulks out the book, but it gives a much better reading experience IMO, despite the difference in reading comfort. 

On 8/12/2021 at 11:23 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Is it that thick matte stock, the stuff that they use on their Masterworks, and early omnibus', if you recall or have had any of them? 

The only one that had really bad paper was the first Layton Iron Man. The thinner stock is fine, I just couldn't trade down from the thick matte paper to the glossy thin paper. Yeah it bulks out the book, but it gives a much better reading experience IMO, despite the difference in reading comfort. 

Definitely not that large. I have a couple of the old omnibus (FF1) and they are massive.

On 8/14/2021 at 12:13 AM, piper said:

Definitely not that large. I have a couple of the old omnibus (FF1) and they are massive.

Good to know, cheers! Definitely a different paperstock then. 

One thing I absolutely love about the Marvel omnibus program is the inclusion of the original letters columns.  This makes their omnibus books a significant upgrade from the Masterworks I've had on my shelf since the 1990s.

ff2.thumb.jpeg.4e07b464a8f489ab89845109bbb47963.jpeg

We've known about George R. R. Martin's letters to Stan & Jack for some time, and it is fun to read them here.  I have no idea what Denny O'Neil's letter is talking about in FF #53, but he was already on staff at Marvel at that point, so it seems like maybe an in-joke that didn't really pay off.

But I was surprised and amused to find this letter in #37 from long-time DC letter column hack Guy H. Lillian III ("our favorite Guy" according to Julius Schwartz).  He takes Stan to task for being so dang informal with his grammar and style! Says a lot about DC versus Marvel fans in the 1960s.  Turns out Stan-the-Man's persona was not actually a bug, but instead a feature!

guy.thumb.jpeg.5d89ffe1162ad8c13e045bf5b7550807.jpeg

Yep, finally some good omnis hitting hard and fast. What IF. Spider-Man 4 (these go fast, usually). FF 4 (was delayed but expected real soon). Conan 5. Captain America 3.

If anyone is into EC AEs, EC cover edition supposed to be out next week. Get that wallet out.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/5/2021 at 7:18 PM, Dave2739 said:

Spidey Omni Vol 5 showed up this week intent on driving my OCD bananas. Super annoyed.

IMG_2412.thumb.jpg.71668529e80a57f24b8682032fb8df65.jpg

Lol but still, when you open it it's the same I hope  :tink:

Maybe leave that one open on a table! Lol

On 9/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, piper said:

Does someone make custom dust jackets? My copy is waiting at the LCS…:tonofbricks:

I know it'll never happen, but I wish Marvel would print corrected dust jackets for everyone that bought this. How many people are only displaying Vol 5 by itself on a bookshelf anyway?

On 9/6/2021 at 9:12 AM, Dave2739 said:

I know it'll never happen, but I wish Marvel would print corrected dust jackets for everyone that bought this. How many people are only displaying Vol 5 by itself on a bookshelf anyway?

Yep, what an eyesore. Have you looked at getting Captain America Omnibus 3 yet. lol.

I just throw all mine around randomly in piles and stacks, so I don't suffer as much (only when I need to find a specific one).

Edited by bronze_rules

I actually really don't like dust jackets, I get the reasons for them but I've found pretty much every hardcover/Omni that I own look much better without them. I just can't bring myself to keep them that way just in case it ruins them!

Couple of good DC's coming soon that I'm looking forward to picking up. The Fourth World Absolute Vol 2 has a great design to compliment Vol 1 and I was glad to read there is another edition of the Death and Return of Superman Omni on the way next year, I missed the 3rd print release and didn't want to pay the crazy secondary market price.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:18 PM, Dave2739 said:

Spidey Omni Vol 5 showed up this week intent on driving my OCD bananas. Super annoyed.

IMG_2412.thumb.jpg.71668529e80a57f24b8682032fb8df65.jpg

That is brutal.  I'd actually not buy that due to that.  (That's true OCD.)  Just like my Frank Miller Daredevil.  Technically an omnibus "companion" but due to the "omnibus" label being on the bottom I had to move it completely out of the Marvel section.  But this one isn't really an option because it's part of a series.  What if #6 goes back to the old style?

On 9/6/2021 at 6:41 PM, Poekaymon said:

That is brutal.  I'd actually not buy that due to that.  (That's true OCD.)  Just like my Frank Miller Daredevil.  Technically an omnibus "companion" but due to the "omnibus" label being on the bottom I had to move it completely out of the Marvel section.  But this one isn't really an option because it's part of a series.  What if #6 goes back to the old style?

I'm concerned that all Marvel Omnis are going to switch over to this style. What about the reprints of Thor and X-Men that I've ordered? Will they maintain the old style or switch to this new poopoo? Judging by the FF Omni posted above, I suspect I know the answer and I'm not happy about it.

Edited by Dave2739

On 9/6/2021 at 5:43 PM, Dave2739 said:

I'm concerned that all Marvel Omnis are going to switch over to this style. What about the reprints of Thor and X-Men that I've ordered? Will they maintain the old style or switch to this new poopoo? Judging by the FF Omni posted above, I suspect I know the answer and I'm not happy about it.

I think it’s just select SA titles, but yes, ASM, FF, etc. are moving to the new, smaller fonts.