• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,496 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, deadleg said:

Got this from MCS during free comic book day weekend. They had it listed for $30 bucks off cover price. I'm a sucker for Mike Allred's art so I couldn't pass it up. 

20220515_125304.jpg

AWESOME!

In 2019 comic con Dallas, my brother got a pic with the actress. He said she was so nice that he took me in line to get her autograph on his photo, just so I could witness how nice and thoughtful she was :x

he's followed me to comic artists before, so I said sure. He even got me to take a 2nd photo with his phone. lol Good times!

On 5/15/2022 at 1:57 AM, Raze said:

Im glad that they have re-released some of the Vol 1 Marvel Omnibus so I can get a few  without paying a arm and leg for them!

Im sure some people dont like it but I sure do.

C969082C-2B4A-40A4-B261-3FAAF7A9AEF0.jpeg

I am super grateful that Marvel has been reprinting so many OOP volumes lately. My only complaints are that they've been coming so fast, it's difficult to keep up, and I'm not fond of the thinner paper they're using. BUT, those are small nitpicks considering what a great value these volumes are.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:17 PM, F For Fake said:

I am super grateful that Marvel has been reprinting so many OOP volumes lately. My only complaints are that they've been coming so fast, it's difficult to keep up, and I'm not fond of the thinner paper they're using. BUT, those are small nitpicks considering what a great value these volumes are.

I really despise hardcovers that have poor-quality (thin) paper. I didn't buy the TPB for a reason.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I really despise hardcovers that have poor-quality (thin) paper. I didn't buy the TPB for a reason.

Times have changed when it comes to collected editions, and rarely have they changed for the better. We DO get more sewn bindings these days (from Marvel, at least. DC seems to be fond of the glue on some volumes), but paper quality has definitely diminished, leading to much thinner volumes. The paper quality varies from book to book, depending on where its printed. The books coming out of R R Donnelly seem to fare better than the ones coming from Turkey, for example. I'm sure much of it is related to supply chain issues, as there has been a paper shortage (along with an everything-else shortage). There must also be a cost-cutting factor as well. It adds up to us getting the same books as before, only the MSRP has gone up (sometimes $25!), and they're thinner books with thinner paper.. Not a great tradeoff! However, compared to secondary market prices on OOP books, it's a compromise I can live with. I can pay $60 for a brand new copy of a book I previously sold or missed out on, versus paying $200-$400 on eBay, OR just not getting at all. I'll take the slightly cruddier $60 option. It's unlikely that a better deal is going to come along. And considering how some of these reprints are lingering, this is very likely the last physical copy we're going to see of some of these books. Sure, ASM 1, UXM 1, DD by Miller, Thor by Simonson - those are evergreens, they'll keep them coming. But Dr. Strange Volume 2? I don't expect we're gonna see that bad boy again.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:19 AM, F For Fake said:

Times have changed when it comes to collected editions, and rarely have they changed for the better. We DO get more sewn bindings these days (from Marvel, at least. DC seems to be fond of the glue on some volumes), but paper quality has definitely diminished, leading to much thinner volumes. The paper quality varies from book to book, depending on where its printed. The books coming out of R R Donnelly seem to fare better than the ones coming from Turkey, for example. I'm sure much of it is related to supply chain issues, as there has been a paper shortage (along with an everything-else shortage). There must also be a cost-cutting factor as well. It adds up to us getting the same books as before, only the MSRP has gone up (sometimes $25!), and they're thinner books with thinner paper.. Not a great tradeoff! However, compared to secondary market prices on OOP books, it's a compromise I can live with. I can pay $60 for a brand new copy of a book I previously sold or missed out on, versus paying $200-$400 on eBay, OR just not getting at all. I'll take the slightly cruddier $60 option. It's unlikely that a better deal is going to come along. And considering how some of these reprints are lingering, this is very likely the last physical copy we're going to see of some of these books. Sure, ASM 1, UXM 1, DD by Miller, Thor by Simonson - those are evergreens, they'll keep them coming. But Dr. Strange Volume 2? I don't expect we're gonna see that bad boy again.

Without the recent movie release, doubt they would have even done 2 for some time. I remember years ago an LCS worker was lamenting that he could never ever afford a copy of Thor 1 from Ebay. So glad they came out with replacements for almost all of the big first ones (except maybe Iron Man).

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, bronze_rules said:

Without the recent movie release, doubt they would have even done 2 for some time. I remember years ago an LCS worker was lamenting that he could never ever afford a copy of Thor 1 from Ebay. So glad, they came out with replacements for almost all of them (except maybe Iron Man).

For sure, many of these are LONG overdue, and a great bargain even if the materials aren't the best. I guess for the true archivist, MMW are still the way to roll. Omnis are an all-in-one bargain shopping stop, not necessarily the best presentation of the material. I'm just happy to have them. With this week's release of X-Men Fall of the Mutants, I will be caught up on pretty much all of the OOP stuff I wanted, with the exception of The Avengers Omnis. I'm assuming/hoping we'll get another run of those in the near future, and then I can consider the collection close to complete as far as "old stuff" goes.

Even considering too-thin paper and glued bindings, one area where the Omnis have the Masterworks beat is in the inclusion of the original letters' pages.  :cloud9:

I had accumulated a short box of lower-grade Marvels over the years, none of which were particular keys when I bought them (the Spidey drug issues, later Kirby FF, Avengers right before and after #100, etc.)  I kept holding on to them as historical curiosities, time capsules from the period if you will.  But now that I have the Omnis, I really have almost the entire original experience captured, except for the house ads or Bullpen Bulletins pages.  No better time than now to sell lower-grade Marvels from this period on eBay.  :banana:

Edited by Zonker

Amazon has pretty much hassle-free returns.  Here in the States, you can drop the item off at any Whole Foods (owned by Amazon) or any Kohls (they have partnered with Amazon to handle Amazon returns).  Don't even need to repackage it.  Then you get a refund back from Amazon.  I did this very thing earlier this year:  I wanted the previous printing of Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 with the larger fonts to match my Vol 2.  Amazon offered a good price, and given the timing, I thought it was very unlikely they could be selling the latest printing with the smaller spine font.  As it turned out, Amazon was already stocked with the new printing, so I sent it back.  Now in my case, I did tell Amazon their picture did not match what they sent (a true statement), so I'm not sure if their policy really is 100% no-questions-asked refunds. 

In my case, I had to buy on eBay to get the printing that matched the one I was looking for.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, Erndog said:

I'm too afraid to buy Omnibuses on Amazon now bc of the small spine fonts.  Ughhhh.

Would they accept returns?  I guess so eh? 

Amazon is a great way to purchase TPB (and other books). Especially if it's offered with Prime - Free (relatively) fast shipping.

However...unless the book has it's own box made my the manufacturer of the book, it will arrive with dings, bends, and crushed areas. My record for returning books (I ordered approximately 15 TPBs) was 6 times. That's 6 times that I sent the approximately 15 TPBs to Amazon and they sent me back 15 new TPBs. After the 6th time, acquired 5 without damage. I gave up the remaining. I ended up getting a phone call apology from a manager and a $150 credit. Just a few months ago, I went through the same thing with TASCHEN Spider-Man book ($200 version). That copy came with it's own box and it got so smashed within the Amazon box, the damage reached the comic book. After the 2nd time, I asked if they wanted me to return it or give me a discount. The book weighs 10 LBS. They opted for a discount. 

TMNT THE IDW Collection vol 10-13 arrived safely, so I'm up to date now, until July when vol 14 comes out. I'm just finishing off volume 9, so this is great timing. 

BTW I cannot recommend the IDW TMNT run enough. Great stories, art is decent, great new characters by the truckful, and it's pretty violent when it wants to be, a feat considering it's owned by Nickelodeon. Captivating stuff. 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:54 PM, Erndog said:

Why are Omni's (omnibuses?  Omnibus'?) So addicting?

Because it's a relatively cheap method of acquiring complete runs, plus they are easy to display and show off.

A little bit of a b***h to read, which is why I don't have too many omnibuses in particular, but I love collected editions.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:54 PM, Erndog said:

Why are Omni's (omnibuses?  Omnibus'?) So addicting?  

One of the "other" local shops I don't frequent often apparently has a handful of omnibuses.  Planning to go tomorrow.  Hopefully can add a couple more.

20220524_125629.jpg

Very nice omni collection. You got a few in there that I'm jelly of.