• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,490 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

whoa, what book is this?????

Just found it for you - had entirely forgotten, this was the source of the images I just posted! It was only after seeing the listing that I went searching for this book, which I've just gotten and haven't even opened yet! [Maybe I'll leave it till Christmas Day!]

Link -

America’s Best Comics Artist’s Edition

These seem to be two covers - mine has Promethea

ABC Artist Edition.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 8/10/2022 at 4:12 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

As an afterthought, my favorite comic artist [haven't opened my Art Edition yet, but found these on the net]. I wish he produced more!

Americas-Best-Comics-Artists-Edition-interior-15-1536x1117.jpg

I'm not great at recognizing what art is whose, other than Alex Ross, and Rob Liefeld (lol). Looking it up, your fav is Arthur Adams?

On 8/10/2022 at 11:54 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not great at recognizing what art is whose, other than Alex Ross, and Rob Liefeld (lol). Looking it up, your fav is Arthur Adams?

He's certainly one of them - perhaps my interest is sharpened by his relative lack of material.

On 8/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, Zonker said:

I was on the fence about this one for a long time.  I purchased, read and still have all the individual issues from back in the day when this series was one of a handful (also including Morrison's Animal Man & Doom Patrol) to keep me interested in comics during the interim between the end of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and the arrival of Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  And while I remember liking it, some issues quite a lot, I don't think I've ever been tempted to pull any of those issues for a re-read in the last 35 years.  What finally convinced me to purchase it now was a desire to send a signal to DC that there is a potential market for Denny O'Neil's Batman stories, which in a world of hardbound collections of work by Archie Goodwin, Alan Brennert, Steve Englehart, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, and Gerry Conway, it seems criminal to exclude O'Neil's Batman stories from getting the hardcover treatment, preferably in omnibus format. rantrant

Question.thumb.jpeg.13c670a2034cd63f5172b0e166bd32d3.jpeg

DC continues to lag Marvel when it comes to including extra editorial content in addition to reprinting the stories.  Unusual for DC though, here they have at least reprinted the letters pages, which I'm always in favor of.  Particularly with this series, I remember the letters were some of the most thoughtful, and O'Neil's Recommended Reading List in every issue turned me on to several great reads I might have missed otherwise.  Oddly though, DC elected to group all these letter columns together at the end of the book, rather than have each one printed with its original issue.  Part of the fun of a re-read 35 years later is seeing if I can match the Reading Recommendation to that particular Question story's plot or theme (now that I've read a lot more of O'Neil's recommendations than I had in the late 1980s.)  It just means a lot of paging back and forth.  :frustrated:

answers.thumb.jpeg.f7a38dcf0107f939c60839333611bc5f.jpeg

While the decision to put the letter cols in the back of the book is indeed a head-scratcher, I’m otherwise thrilled to finally have this book. The tpbs have been OOP for some time, and it has been a long wait! I’m hopeful that the fact that this was the #1-2 seller on IST for a few weeks (plus selling out twice) is an indicator to DC of strong enough sales to warrant a volume 2. DC’s collected editions are a total crapshoot these days, but I’d say chances are good.

On 8/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, MisterX said:

I haven't posted any pictures of my recent pickups in a while, so here goes...

image.thumb.jpeg.e241802c41b23f15781ef8f3e5be3092.jpeg

Not pictured: equally tall pile of trade paperbacks. Someday I'll have time to read them all!

Nice Haul! I really need to get that Marvel Classics Comics sometime. Lots of Gil Kane and memories there!

On 8/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, MisterX said:

I haven't posted any pictures of my recent pickups in a while, so here goes...

image.thumb.jpeg.e241802c41b23f15781ef8f3e5be3092.jpeg

Not pictured: equally tall pile of trade paperbacks. Someday I'll have time to read them all!

"What's the point of having a library if you've read all the books?" Mark Twain