• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2022 at 12:22 AM, F For Fake said:

A few more hardcovers trickled in this week. It's kind of amazing to me that the Masterworks line is now safely beyond Bronze and into Copper with some of the long running titles. I got my first MMW when I was 12, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

I'm holding onto my Miller DD omnis (Vol 1, Companion, and Elektra), but it is exciting to see that stuff pop up in the MMW line. And with the last couple of books, ASM has finally entered the era when I started reading as a kid, so that's a blast as well.

I also ordered the Cap volume that came out a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up yet.

Also, with this IDW TF book, I'm now just three volumes away from having the complete Phase 1, 2, 3 and reboot series in HC. Took me a few years of diligent bargain hunting, but we're almost there!

IMG_8743.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

IMG_8748.JPG

Shame they'll never complete the IDW Collections. Plus it sets a bad precedent for people collecting the same thing for different properties. 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, Cat said:

Shame they'll never complete the IDW Collections. Plus it sets a bad precedent for people collecting the same thing for different properties. 

Yeah, nothing has been announced yet, so I'm holding out hope that there will be some sort of special arrangement made so IDW can finish up Phase 3. But if I'm honest with myself, that seems unlikely. 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:46 AM, F For Fake said:

Yeah, nothing has been announced yet, so I'm holding out hope that there will be some sort of special arrangement made so IDW can finish up Phase 3. But if I'm honest with myself, that seems unlikely. 

It reminds me of when Dreamwave folded. 'Nah, first thing IDW will do is reprint G1 volume 3,guarantee it. Sooooo obvious.' 

Uh huh.... 

On 8/26/2022 at 12:14 PM, Cat said:

It reminds me of when Dreamwave folded. 'Nah, first thing IDW will do is reprint G1 volume 3,guarantee it. Sooooo obvious.' 

Uh huh.... 

Yeah. Yeeeeeah. :cough: Yeah. I suppose I should go ahead and squish those hopes now.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:22 AM, F For Fake said:

A few more hardcovers trickled in this week. It's kind of amazing to me that the Masterworks line is now safely beyond Bronze and into Copper with some of the long running titles. I got my first MMW when I was 12, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

I'm holding onto my Miller DD omnis (Vol 1, Companion, and Elektra), but it is exciting to see that stuff pop up in the MMW line. And with the last couple of books, ASM has finally entered the era when I started reading as a kid, so that's a blast as well.

I also ordered the Cap volume that came out a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up yet.

Also, with this IDW TF book, I'm now just three volumes away from having the complete Phase 1, 2, 3 and reboot series in HC. Took me a few years of diligent bargain hunting, but we're almost there!

IMG_8743.JPG

IMG_8744.JPG

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

IMG_8748.JPG

I missed out on the prior Miller DD mmw . I felt like I read the stories so many times, I didn't really need it. Sure and sure enough it disappears. I think this one will go fairly fast for the same reason.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, bronze_rules said:

I missed out on the prior Miller DD mmw . I felt like I read the stories so many times, I didn't really need it. Sure and sure enough it disappears. I think this one will go fairly fast for the same reason.

Yes, I did the exact same thing! I wasn't in any hurry, because I have the omnibuses of all of that stuff, as well as most of the floppies. Then, wham, that book sold out, and now it's selling well above MSRP. So, I didn't wait around on this one! All of the reviews have been great, apparently the supplements are really nice, as is the reproduction, so at the end of the day, I'm happy I went ahead and got it. Now I need to scrounge up the change to get the last one, before it gets even crazier.

Got The Question omni in the mail yesterday and love it. Really makes me wish DC would reprint more of their less known character series from that period. Their Dr. Fate series from the late 80s for example with the 4 issue mini that was the runup to it would be at the top of the list.

On 8/27/2022 at 2:48 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Got The Question omni in the mail yesterday and love it. Really makes me wish DC would reprint more of their less known character series from that period. Their Dr. Fate series from the late 80s for example with the 4 issue mini that was the runup to it would be at the top of the list.

That was set to be reprinted a couple of years ago, but they cancelled it close to release date for reasons unknown. Hopefully if the Black Adam movie does well they'll put it back on the menu. 

So I'm a numbers guy, we knew that going in.  Turns out I'm also a fonts guy, go figure.  But apparently the very least of my worries is the actual titles lining up.  So here's my solution for the Great Marvel Omni Spines OCD Challenge:  Tiny fonts to the left, big fonts on the right, numerical order preserved, but with the book titles all over the place.  This of course is the result of a broken plan to get ASM 1, 2 & 3 all to match.  I found ASM 2 on the CGN Nick & Dent sale, knew it was the Romita cover (yay), and assumed incorrectly it would be the newest smaller font version.  I may still try to pick up a later printing ASM 2 at some point and resell this one.  But leaving it like it is gives me more flexibility to pick up other volumes and other titles without quite worrying so much about which printing I'm getting.

Anyone else got a creative spines solution?

OmniShelfie27Aug2022.thumb.jpeg.7a88d5448bac7abd98fb09a1db82a7fd.jpeg

Edited by Zonker
sale / sell

On 8/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, Zonker said:

So I'm a numbers guy, we knew that going in.  Turns out I'm also a fonts guy, go figure.  But apparently the very least of my worries is the actual titles lining up.  So here's my solution for the Great Marvel Omni Spines OCD Challenge:  Tiny fonts to the left, big fonts on the right, numerical order preserved, but with the book titles all over the place.  This of course is the result of a broken plan to get ASM 1, 2 & 3 all to match.  I found ASM 2 on the CGN Nick & Dent sale, knew it was the Romita cover (yay), and assumed incorrectly it would be the newest smaller font version.  I may still try to pick up a later printing ASM 2 at some point and resell this one.  But leaving it like it is gives me more flexibility to pick up other volumes and other titles without quite worrying so much about which printing I'm getting.

Nice! I think everyone has to decide for themselves what their brain can withstand. As for my plan, I’ve gone with a single alpha numerical order, with bouts of grimacing.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, Zonker said:

I did not realize that Avengers and FF had a volume 4. Apparently @Zonkeris an influencer because I have been influenced to track down to omnis I don't have.

So, Omar announced UXM Omni Vol 5 this weekend. That was a long time coming. Hits June of 2023, I believe. As expected, it's basically the contents of those MMW's. He mentioned that mapping is in place through Vol 7. I'm wondering what that would entail, since Volume 5 should bring us up to Mutant Massacre, and nearly everything else is collected. I guess a volume to go between MM and Fall of the Mutants? Otherwise, I think FotM, Inferno Prologue, Inferno, and the two Claremont/Lee books take care of most of the stuff. The stuff I'm interested in, anyway.

Back to the front page! Another week, a couple more boxes from IST. I own all of the Grendel stuff, and sold my paperback omnis a while back as I assumed that Dark Horse would give us hardcover library editions when the Netflix series hit. Instead…they’ve reissued the paperbacks. Oh well. For $18 I thought I may as well buy them again.

As for the MMW Cap, I’m not a Byrne fan, but I’ve never read this run, and I hear good things. The most exciting part to me is that Zeck shows up here at the end, so the next couple of volumes will be the sweet stuff for me. 

AF5381D5-4787-4010-A85C-DCFBA90CD322.jpeg

78045E87-76E1-41AE-8801-ABE3E6EF485F.jpeg

Edited by F For Fake

On 9/4/2022 at 8:43 PM, F For Fake said:

As for the MMW Cap, I’m not a Byrne fan, but I’ve never read this run, and I hear good things.

The Stern / Byrne run is a good read, though very short. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The Stern / Byrne run is a good read, though very short. 

Cool, I'm definitely looking forward to it! 

On 8/29/2022 at 10:31 AM, F For Fake said:

So, Omar announced UXM Omni Vol 5 this weekend. That was a long time coming. Hits June of 2023, I believe. As expected, it's basically the contents of those MMW's. He mentioned that mapping is in place through Vol 7. I'm wondering what that would entail, since Volume 5 should bring us up to Mutant Massacre, and nearly everything else is collected. I guess a volume to go between MM and Fall of the Mutants? Otherwise, I think FotM, Inferno Prologue, Inferno, and the two Claremont/Lee books take care of most of the stuff. The stuff I'm interested in, anyway.

Was there any mention of when Vol 5 would go up for presale? I don't see it yet on CGN (or didn't when I checked before). I'm curious what would be in Vol. 6 and 7 also...can't tell which would be worse/weirder, capturing only 20-25% of each of the giant crossovers by just doing the UXM issues, or skipping around wildly to avoid them entirely...

On 9/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Was there any mention of when Vol 5 would go up for presale? I don't see it yet on CGN (or didn't when I checked before). I'm curious what would be in Vol. 6 and 7 also...can't tell which would be worse/weirder, capturing only 20-25% of each of the giant crossovers by just doing the UXM issues, or skipping around wildly to avoid them entirely...

I believe it's not supposed to hit until May or June of 2023, so it'll be some time before it is officially solicited, and at that point it should be available for preorder. That's the problem with these big "announcements", they come out so far in advance of the actual books.

As for the next volumes, that is apparently a raging debate going around at the moment. It's increasingly seeming like Marvel will just continue to collect everything chronologically in the UXM omni line, making those "Event" omnis (Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, etc) redundant. It'll take several years to get to that point, so I guess we'll see how it shakes out, but if that's the case, I'm definitely out after we're caught up to the Fall of the Mutants omni, as that will be all I care to own.