• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

838 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2022 at 12:35 AM, october said:

I sometimes catch myself seeing a question from a newbie and thinking "how do you NOT know that?!?" 

Once upon a time, I remember having similar thoughts concerning a certain newbie GA collector. :whistle:

On 6/28/2022 at 12:18 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, although it's true that I must definitely be getting old, I guess still not old enough to pull out Chuck's Mile High Catalog to see that he had both the Mask 1 and Mask 2 graded as NM+.  :gossip:

What's even more interesting is that he had the Mask 1 listed for $30 and the Mask 2 listed for only $25 and looking for takers which I guess was not so easy back then.  :takeit:  lol

Geez. I guess you're talking late 70's right? Even back then 55 bucks wasn't exactly a ton of money. I would think anything from that collection would have gotten 25 dollars out of the gate easily. 55 bucks, hard to even comprehend knowing what we know now. 

On 6/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, Professor K said:

Really? How do you know all this stuff. Don't answer I believe you. So there is an un-cgc graded Mask 2 out there? High grade you say? Nice to know. 

My Mask #2 is ungraded, but it's missing a piece out of the cover.  So it'll only get like a 1.5...   so it's only worth like 2k.  :p  

On 6/28/2022 at 12:43 AM, adamstrange said:

Once upon a time, I remember having similar thoughts concerning a certain newbie GA collector. :whistle:

You mean that october_fire character? Man, what a piece of work that guy was. Haven't seen him in years so I assume he just flamed out like so many of them.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:53 PM, Professor K said:

Geez. I guess you're talking late 70's right? Even back then 55 bucks wasn't exactly a ton of money. I would think anything from that collection would have gotten 25 dollars out of the gate easily. 55 bucks, hard to even comprehend knowing what we know now. 

If so, I imagine you would then be surprised at the number of Church book at were listed at only single dollar prices, including even some in the non-super hero genre or non-high grades at only $2 or $3 a piece.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

On 7/11/2022 at 2:31 PM, pmpknface said:

Ok, not a Mask book, but just wondering if anyone else saw these 2.  One still available and one apparently gone.  Also, there's a few new books up on CL for those interested (not mine):

image.thumb.png.defda53ddba4bc41eed9e6669ad8e543.png

That seems high.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, MrBedrock said:

That seems high.

I'm guessing that you are talking about the Catman #28.  I totally agree, that book just breaks the guide in 1/2.  I had to sell a kidney to get my 1.8 copy.  I'm still kicking though!  

On a side note, pics coming of the latest submission of Cole books.  Just waiting for my latest sub to come in, which should be any day.  Spent a lot of yesterday watching baseball and picking out / logging books.  The next sub will be a big one...

On 7/11/2022 at 5:50 PM, Nic8612 said:

Is that your copy?

Yes. Bought it from a boardie about ten years ago.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, Nic8612 said:

That is nuts, what a beautiful copy. Was it a one owner book before you?

It had belonged to a longtime collector previously.

On 7/11/2022 at 12:31 PM, pmpknface said:

Ok, not a Mask book, but just wondering if anyone else saw these 2.  One still available and one apparently gone.  Also, there's a few new books up on CL for those interested (not mine):

image.thumb.png.defda53ddba4bc41eed9e6669ad8e543.png

On 7/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, MrBedrock said:

That seems high.

Are you trying to send us a hint that you are willing to meet them head on by offering your copy up for the exact same $21,500?  :takeit:

Or are you implying that this obvious and blatant nonsensical price offer should be reported to the Mods so that appropriate disciplinary action can be taken against them?  lol

On 7/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, MrBedrock said:

Both prices seem high.

bluebolt115.jpg

Hey Richard;

Big congrats on having the smarts to pick up this absolutely gorgeous copy of BB 115 early on before the price blew up on L.B. Cole books.  :applause:

Just checked the census and totally shocked that they would have a CGC 9.8 graded copy of this book slabbed already.  :whatthe:

From seeing some of your other books here, would you also have a copy of Blue Bolt 105 with the classic Cole si-fi cover in your personal collection.  With your experience and insight, out of these two Blue Bolt books, would it be BB 105 or BB 115 that is worth more in today's hyper classic cover driven marketplace from your POV?  Although I would have to say you definitely can't go wrong with either one of these two beauties here:  :luhv:

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/16/2022 at 1:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Hey Richard;

Big congrats on having the smarts to pick up this absolutely gorgeous copy of BB 115 early on before the price blew up on L.B. Cole books.  :applause:

Just checked the census and totally shocked that they would have a CGC 9.8 graded copy of this book slabbed already.  :whatthe:

From seeing some of your other books here, would you also have a copy of Blue Bolt 105 with the classic Cole si-fi cover in your personal collection.  With your experience and insight, out of these two Blue Bolt books, would it be BB 105 or BB 115 that is worth more in today's hyper classic cover driven marketplace from your POV?Although I would have to say you definitely can't go wrong with either one of these two beauties here?  :luhv:

I don't have a 105 but I would value it higher. I certainly like 105 better.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:42 AM, MrBedrock said:

Like you, I also love the cover mage for Blot Bolt 105 ever since I saw it as the frontispiece for a table top book a la Suspense 3 for the Gerber Photojournal (can't remember the name now :facepalm:) on GA comic books.  :luhv:

The original art for this cover must be absolutely gorgeous as the only part of this cover I really don't care for is all of the rather excessive wording on the cover which kind of takes away from the cover art. :p

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/16/2022 at 2:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Just checked the census and totally shocked that they would have a CGC 9.8 graded copy of this book slabbed already.

Spokane copy previously graded at 9.6 so not surprising if it's the 9.8.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:22 PM, adamstrange said:
On 7/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Just checked the census and totally shocked that they would have a CGC 9.8 graded copy of this book slabbed already.

Spokane copy previously graded at 9.6 so not surprising if it's the 9.8.

Just checked the CGCdata.com website and it looks like you are 100% correct as it indicates a CGC 9.6 copy of Blue Bolt 115 being removed from the Census Population Report and replaced by a CGC 9.8 copy in the first half of 2020:  (thumbsu

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/32811/6mo

On 7/16/2022 at 11:42 AM, MrBedrock said:

In talking about Blue Bolt 105 and CGC 9.8 copies, I wonder how much this copy here would go for in today's heightened marketplace, especially considering that it sold for $37,500 on CL back in the summer of 2018 before the collectibles world went absolutely crazy town during the pandemic driven locked down craze of the past two years:  hm

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg