• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

There's an old phrasing about knowledge; If you cannot explain material to a layman in a concise fashion, then you truly do not understand it.

If you spend your days arguing infinitely with essays in retort to a simple message, then I suggest reconsidering your perception of the subject matter.

On 1/24/2022 at 7:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's an old phrasing about knowledge; If you cannot explain material to a layman in a concise fashion, then you truly do not understand it.

If you spend your days arguing infinitely with essays in retort to a simple message, then I suggest reconsidering your perception of the subject matter.

huh ?

(kidding)

Congratulations, forumites. You've (okay we) unofficially made this thread a morass. That's a metaphor, btw. In fact, this whole thread over the past month could be a metaphor for the state of internet chatter in the world today. I wouldn't be surprised if Prime Celestial CGC Arishemike the Judge comes down to pass judgement. That's also a metaphor, btw. 

On 1/23/2022 at 4:51 PM, kav said:

we're arguing about claims like batman begins theme is 'fear'.  This is objectively incorrect-a theme is not a one word description-backed up by the entire theory of screenplay writing explained in every book on screenplay writing.  The theme of eternals is not 'humanity' as was claimed-what does that even mean?

The theme of Batman Begins is FEAR. F-E-A-R. It pervades nearly every shot of the film. It's not just a tool Batman uses. The Scarecrow uses it. Every character experiences it because of Dr. Crane's fear gas. It's the theme of the movie.

Here's a clue. A movie isn't its screenplay alone. A movie starts with an idea or a character or what have you. You come up with a story then turn it into a screenplay. The movie's story doesn't stop there. The casting, the directing, the acting, the cinematography and lighting, the set design, the editing, the special effects, and the music all add to the film's meaning. Get it? The meaning of the film didn't end with a skeleton screenplay that Christopher Nolan got from David Goyer or whoever wrote the movie. Even then, the idea of fear is in nearly every conversation in Batman Begins. 

The theme of Batman Begins is FEAR. Yes, the theme of a movie can be one word if that's how the filmmaker chooses to make the movie and Christopher Nolan has stated that Batman Begins is an exploration of fear. And yes, the theme of Eternals is humanity. It pervades nearly every element of the movie. 

Here are some video clips from Batman Begins to help you and others out even though I'm sure the denials and comments that you know everything will come soon enough. Again, I'm just trying to help you out here.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - I read it differently.

Since premiering on Disney Plus a few weeks ago, ~a dozen+ forumites (myself included) finally watched Eternals.

And determined it sucked donkey toes.

Ha ha. Sure. I bet half the forumites endlessly trolling in this thread haven't even seen Eternals.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:51 PM, kav said:

This is objectively incorrect-a theme is not a one word description-backed up by the entire theory of screenplay writing explained in every book on screenplay writing.  The theme of eternals is not 'humanity' as was claimed-what does that even mean?

I mean, come on, kav. Did you not pay attention in high school English even? A theme in art, film, or literature isn't the moral of the story or the writer's message to make the world a better place. It's the idea that pervades the work. Here's what comes up when you google theme and art...

What is the best definition of theme?

/ (θiːm) / noun. an idea or topic expanded in a discourse, discussion, etc. (in literature, music, art, etc) a unifying idea, image, or motif, repeated or developed throughout a work.

Get it? The THEME is the unifying idea of the work. It's not the message or the moral of the story. 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:27 PM, D84 said:
On 1/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, Gatsby77 said:

And determined it sucked donkey toes.

That's a metaphor! ^^

Wrong. This is not a metaphor. It's more of an idiom. The "donkey toes" do not figuratively represent anything to with the movie symbolically. D84 gets a big fat F for that comment.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The theme of Batman Begins is FEAR. F-E-A-R. It pervades nearly every shot of the film. It's not just a tool Batman uses. The Scarecrow uses it. Every character experiences it because of Dr. Crane's fear gas. It's the theme of the movie.

Here's a clue. A movie isn't its screenplay alone. A movie starts with an idea or a character or what have you. You come up with a story then turn it into a screenplay. The movie's story doesn't stop there. The casting, the directing, the acting, the cinematography and lighting, the set design, the editing, the special effects, and the music all add to the film's meaning. Get it? The meaning of the film didn't end with a skeleton screenplay that Christopher Nolan got from David Goyer or whoever wrote the movie. Even then, the idea of fear is in nearly every conversation in Batman Begins. 

The theme of Batman Begins is FEAR. Yes, the theme of a movie can be one word if that's how the filmmaker chooses to make the movie and Christopher Nolan has stated that Batman Begins is an exploration of fear. And yes, the theme of Eternals is humanity. It pervades nearly every element of the movie. 

Here are some video clips from Batman Begins to help you and others out even though I'm sure the denials and comments that you know everything will come soon enough. Again, I'm just trying to help you out here.

time to crack out them screenplay books of yours and pay attention when you read them this time.  No, a movie's theme is not I repeat NOT one word like 'fear'.  A movie theme is the moral or message of the film.  "Fear" is not a moral or message.  What about fear?  Good?  Bad? Who has it?  Why?  what do they do with it?   
You truly do not understand how screenplays are written my friend.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:18 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I mean, come on, kav. Did you not pay attention in high school English even? A theme in art, film, or literature isn't the moral of the story or the writer's message to make the world a better place. It's the idea that pervades the work. Here's what comes up when you google theme and art...

What is the best definition of theme?

/ (θiːm) / noun. an idea or topic expanded in a discourse, discussion, etc. (in literature, music, art, etc) a unifying idea, image, or motif, repeated or developed throughout a work.

Get it? The THEME is the unifying idea of the work. It's not the message or the moral of the story. 

Ah-I see where you are having difficulty-theme in screenplay writing has a very specific meaning.  Different from that in literature.  Screenplay writing is a very different skill than writing literature.  Amazed you dont know this.  Hit them screenplay books of yours.
Yes I paid attention and have TAUGHT high school english.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:05 PM, kav said:

time to crack out them screenplay books of yours and pay attention when you read them this time.  No, a movie's theme is not I repeat NOT one word like 'fear'.  A movie theme is the moral or message of the film.  "Fear" is not a moral or message.  What about fear?  Good?  Bad? Who has it?  Why?  what do they do with it?   
You truly do not understand how screenplays are written my friend.

By his imaginary metric, the theme of every single film is "fear". Iron Man is afraid of being killed by terrorists in a cave. Captain America is afraid of not contributing to winning WWII. Thor is afraid of the Frost Giants invading Asgard. The Avengers are afraid of Thanos decimating half of the universe.

Absolutely stupid.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

By his imaginary metric, the theme of every single film is "fear". Iron Man is afraid of being killed by terrorists in a cave. Captain America is afraid of not contributing to winning WWII. Thor is afraid of the Frost Giants invading Asgard. The Avengers are afraid of Thanos decimating half of the universe.

Absolutely stupid.

exactlly.  as I said he simplifies things to the point they do not mean anything.  if he read screenplay books he absorbed absolutely nothing.  Theme is pretty basic.