• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, kav said:

the short films I have directed with non actors its easy to get them in the spirit of the scene.  

I bet. But you get an Ed Norton on the set telling you he has a better feel for his role and by the way I've updated the -script without your approval but just trust him it will be great including the further updates he will deliver while filming the scenes which he will be late for filming because he is busy typing up all those changes ...

On 1/24/2022 at 4:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

I bet. But you get an Ed Norton on the set telling you he has a better feel for his role and by the way I've updated the --script without your approval but just trust him it will be great including the further updates he will deliver while filming the scenes which he will be late for filming because he is busy typing up all those changes ...

addin jellyfish most likely.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, Muno42 said:

I am afraid of opening this thread at times.

Amen.  A lot of acrimony.  No matter how strongly I may feel a movie is really, really great or equally bad, I still try to respect that others who may feel differently and that's just fine.

I can't tell you how many times @kav has posted that he hates the most recent Dune movie and that it's really, really bad.  I think he's completely wrong, but that doesn't make him evil (there are other reasons for that  :devil:).  It just means we disagree.  FWIW, I think most (if not all) of you guys posting in this thread would be really fun to have a conversation with IRL about films.  A lot of people with similar knowledge and experience with film history.  Pretty cool.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:36 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Amen.  A lot of acrimony.  No matter how strongly I may feel a movie is really, really great or equally bad, I still try to respect that others who may feel differently and that's just fine.

I can't tell you how many times @kav has posted that he hates the most recent Dune movie and that it's really, really bad.  I think he's completely wrong, but that doesn't make him evil (there are other reasons for that  :devil:).  It just means we disagree.  FWIW, I think most (if not all) of you guys posting in this thread would be really fun to have a conversation with IRL about films.  A lot of people with similar knowledge and experience with film history.  Pretty cool.

I saw Dune and stated that I was wrong though.  

"Show, don't tell" is dangerous, because according to some fanatics Zack Snyder is a "bad director" because he uses the visual aspect of the medium to inform the audience.

Example: "Superman only has XX lines in BvS." If you observe the senate committee explosion scene, Superman doesn't need to say, "I feel guilty, why is all of this happening wherever I go? I need some time to myself to understand my place in this world." You can see how he feels when the bomb goes off and the aftermath, and then he has a moment of reflection with his father's ghost to motivate him that even with all of the bad that humanity can commit, there is good in this world; Those you choose to surround yourself with show you the light among the anonymous darkness.

There are always needs for exposition, but in The Eternals' case, they they relied on it almost exclusively to inform the audience. That's boring, because we don't get to detect anything, since we're being spoon-fed.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Show, don't tell" is dangerous, because according to some fanatics Zack Snyder is a "bad director" because he uses the visual aspect of the medium to inform the audience.

Example: "Superman only has XX lines in BvS." If you observe the senate committee explosion scene, Superman doesn't need to say, "I feel guilty, why is all of this happening wherever I go? I need some time to myself to understand my place in this world." You can see how he feels when the bomb goes off and the aftermath, and then he has a moment of reflection with his father's ghost to motivate him that even with all of the bad that humanity can commit, there is good in this world; Those you choose to surround yourself with show you the light among the anonymous darkness.

There are always needs for exposition, but in The Eternals' case, they they relied on it almost exclusively to inform the audience. That's boring, because we don't get to detect anything, since we're being spoon-fed.

But the actor shoots laser beams out of his eyes (and I think his head too).

laserbeams-yourefired.gif.f821ae33bed3842224e350bc75190022.gif

On 1/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I find it funny that the Celestials created these beings and didn't make them fully-functional. Like, one of them literally cannot hear, and you want her/it to defend a planet until one of your kin is born...?

No, it didn't really make sense, when they modified the Eternals origins to be this, that that Celestials who "created" them would bother to create Eternals with disabilities.  Or one who was perpetually a child even.  

My suspicion, is that they made this change to the Eternals to allow for the possibility of having Eternals who "died" in this movie be resurrected for later films.  Which it seems like they could do if they were all just constructs anyway.   

But maybe there was something else to it.  Like, there must have been a reason. 

Maybe someone thought thematically it would be more impactful for a group of "constructs" to find their humanity, as opposed to it being just another race of alien beings deciding to rebel against their masters because they liked Earth people.  But if that was it then the message fell very flat.  They kind of would have had to know they were constructs from the beginning in that case.    

On 1/25/2022 at 7:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I find it funny that the Celestials created these beings and didn't make them fully-functional. Like, one of them literally cannot hear, and you want her/it to defend a planet until one of your kin is born...?

just more diversity, and it made no sense at all.

Edited by Artboy99

On 1/24/2022 at 2:07 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

By his imaginary metric, the theme of every single film is "fear". Iron Man is afraid of being killed by terrorists in a cave. Captain America is afraid of not contributing to winning WWII. Thor is afraid of the Frost Giants invading Asgard. The Avengers are afraid of Thanos decimating half of the universe.

Absolutely stupid.

What are you talking about? I say "fear" is the theme in Batman Begins because the word is stated and explored by every character and uttered about every ten minutes in the movie. Christopher Nolan basically hits us over the head with the darn word. Christopher Nolan has stated that BB is an exploration of fear.

The only time Stark really expresses fear in Iron Man is when he is running from the terrorist ambush of the Marine convoy. Steve Rogers never shows fear in First Avenger, and that's what makes him special. Thor is too egotistical to have any fear of the Frost Giants and that's his problem.

Absolutely stupid.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:27 AM, Artboy99 said:

just more diversity, and it made no sense at all.

The actual Celestials ARE diverse (I think).  I think the one who was deaf was really deaf in the comics, etc.  The movie was actually staying true to the comic characters in that sense, and not just "checking boxes."  

The issue is/was that the Eternals didn't make a whole lot of sense with the backstory that they completely made up for this movie.