• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 12:08 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The theme of Batman Begins is FEAR. F-E-A-R. It pervades nearly every shot of the film. It's not just a tool Batman uses. The Scarecrow uses it. Every character experiences it because of Dr. Crane's fear gas. It's the theme of the movie.

Here's a clue. A movie isn't its screenplay alone. A movie starts with an idea or a character or what have you. You come up with a story then turn it into a screenplay. The movie's story doesn't stop there. The casting, the directing, the acting, the cinematography and lighting, the set design, the editing, the special effects, and the music all add to the film's meaning. Get it? The meaning of the film didn't end with a skeleton screenplay that Christopher Nolan got from David Goyer or whoever wrote the movie. Even then, the idea of fear is in nearly every conversation in Batman Begins. 

The theme of Batman Begins is FEAR. Yes, the theme of a movie can be one word if that's how the filmmaker chooses to make the movie and Christopher Nolan has stated that Batman Begins is an exploration of fear. And yes, the theme of Eternals is humanity. It pervades nearly every element of the movie. 

Here are some video clips from Batman Begins to help you and others out even though I'm sure the denials and comments that you know everything will come soon enough. Again, I'm just trying to help you out here.

Thanks for posting these clips from a GREAT comic book movie.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:26 PM, Larryw7 said:

Thanks for posting these clips from a GREAT comic book movie.

I love how he lectured me on what constitutes a movie!   No ****.  
Hey first understand the basics then we'll move on to The casting, the directing, the acting, the cinematography and lighting, the set design, the editing, the special effects, and the music.  lol 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:33 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Wrong. This is not a metaphor. It's more of an idiom. The "donkey toes" do not figuratively represent anything to with the movie symbolically. D84 gets a big fat F for that comment.

A joke is a story with a humorous climax.

While there are many elements to a film, the screenplay is numero uno.  Its the superstructure upon which the entire film is based.  A film with a strong screenplay can survive bad casting, bad directing, bad acting, bad lighting, bad set design, bad editing, bad special effects, or bad music.  Nothing can survive a bad screenplay.  Understanding screenplay is #1.

On 1/24/2022 at 2:07 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

By his imaginary metric, the theme of every single film is "fear". Iron Man is afraid of being killed by terrorists in a cave. Captain America is afraid of not contributing to winning WWII. Thor is afraid of the Frost Giants invading Asgard. The Avengers are afraid of Thanos decimating half of the universe.

Absolutely stupid.

Don't forget Antman's fear about the Avenger's wanting to really go through with their plan to have him defeat Thanos :ohnoez:

This thread is interesting... I finally got around to watching this and while entertained at points, it really was pretty meh. Didn't hate it but lot's of plot holes and unnecessary elements that were more confusing than anything else. I've also never read the Eternals books from the 70's only the 12 issue maxi from 1986 so maybe that would have helped?  

I think they lost before they even started. They decided to make an epic saga and then wrote/filmed around that goal. Even the sex scene was for a larger purpose than serving the story apparently. And so we got bogged down in so much.

Give me much more of the Eternals talking to each other, flesh out their different personalities. Give me a sense of who they are. Show us Sersi and Dane fall in love, don't just tell us they love each other. And skip so much of what we got instead. Give me a Arishem worship meeting every 100 years so something to show me their worship and why different Eternals make different decisions.

Anyway

On 1/24/2022 at 5:26 PM, Bird said:

I think they lost before they even started. They decided to make an epic saga and then wrote/filmed around that goal. Even the sex scene was for a larger purpose than serving the story apparently. And so we got bogged down in so much.

Give me much more of the Eternals talking to each other, flesh out their different personalities. Give me a sense of who they are. Show us Sersi and Dane fall in love, don't just tell us they love each other. And skip so much of what we got instead. Give me a Arishem worship meeting every 100 years so something to show me their worship and why different Eternals make different decisions.

Anyway

And give the actors a better sense of their character purpose

motivation.gif.4490fc18d3701e5ff905ce80b8c602fd.gif

On 1/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

And give the actors a better sense of their character purpose

motivation.gif.4490fc18d3701e5ff905ce80b8c602fd.gif

show, dont tell.  Screenplay books are clear on this.  
"Whats my motivation here?"
"You shoot beams out of your eyes!!"

On 1/24/2022 at 6:55 PM, kav said:

:acclaim:

If a director needs a certain scene performance, waiting for an actor to get the intent may not always work.

Martin Scorsese, though, is the type director that encourages frequent impromptu performances. But there comes a time when a scene needs what it needs. David Lynch on the other end wants very specific scenes and actions 

So I would never say either is wrong. It depends on the style and comfort with a less clear story direction.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

If a director needs a certain scene performance, waiting for an actor to get the intent may not always work.

Martin Scorsese, though, is the type director that encourages frequent impromptu performances. But there comes a time when a scene needs what it needs. David Lynch on the other end wants very specific scenes and actions 

So I would never say either is wrong. It depends on the style and comfort with a less clear story direction.

the short films I have directed with non actors its easy to get them in the spirit of the scene.