• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Have you seen lovecraft country?  He is a very different actor in that.... he has a lot of range and will put it to good use playing the kang variants

I don't think that Majors is the problem. I think that the writing and direction for that episode were the problem, considering that most of the episode was an exposition-al bore.

Majors was the only thing that I liked about the episode. He Who Remains is a distant future version of Kang, still megalomaniacal but weary. He laughed as he died! Loved it. I expected aggressive posturing and his take on He Who remains I thought was perfect. I expect the actor will use it as a reference for the Kang portrayal and expect Kang to act nothing like this guy did. I want Kang coming through a teleport gate firing his guns and wreaking havok with an army exploding through around him and still think I might get it. He Who Remains is like I am...expend energy? Been there done that...it better be a good reason to get me off this couch!

I did not like Sylvie's actions at the end...and even if I did why wouldn't she go and get Loki immediately after? I didn't like where Loki ended up, back in the mousetrap where they put him in episode 1 and lessening the whole seasons importance.  I didn't like Ravonna slipping away to whenever. 

Edited by Bird

31 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Have you seen lovecraft country?  He is a very different actor in that.... he has a lot of range and will put it to good use playing the kang variants

That Episode 1 opening sequence is fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That Episode 1 opening sequence is fantastic.

Very nice!  Majors is also a jacked in the show.   It will be nice to see him fight eventually... he seemed pudgy in last night's episode,  so I bet he will look a lot different as the Conqueror 

1 hour ago, Bird said:

He Who Remains is a distant future version of Kang, still megalomaniacal but weary. He laughed as he died! Loved it. I expected aggressive posturing and his take on He Who remains I thought was perfect.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

did not like Sylvie's actions at the end...

I was unfamiliar with "He Who Remains" from the comics, but I read yesterday there that person isn't Immortus and they merged him with Immortus for the MCU.  I still don't get why he wanted Sylvie to kill him though, or exactly what he meant by being reincarnated.  Still need to watch it again and mull his words over.

The whole time Immortus was talking to them I tried to decide if Sylvie would buy into it, but the further it went the more I realized there was just no way it made sense for her to.  She had been a captive of or running from the TVA her entire life, so she had every overwhelming reason to detest Immortus and kill him in that moment.  And I can't imagine how he didn't realize exactly that--he MUST have known she was going to kill him, even if what he said was true about not knowing the future beyond that "threshold" time point he referred to.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He didn't appear old. He also didn't appear intelligent, aloof, or like a guy that would stop dozens of himself just to keep a single timeline intact. He was a ditzy wannabe Joker, it seemed.

You're entitled to your opinion, but this seems as silly as saying you're mad Alligator Loki wasn't enough like Tom Hiddleston Loki. The character we saw wasn't Kang it was Immortus, they're both variants on the scientist Nathaniel Richards, but they're vastly different.

Time clearly doesn't work the same in the TVA, they don't age regardless of how long they've been there. Sylvie escaped as a child and when she came back she was an adult, whereas Ravonna hasn't aged a day.

I'm sure earlier in his tenure when eliminating timelines and his other variants he was far more pragmatic, but if Immortus has been around as long as they imply, with Ravonna and Mobius talking about being friends for eons, he's probably been in solitude for near eternity.

Imagine if the only contact you had for the rest of time was an overly perky anthropomorphic clock you programmed, and the only thing you didn't have total knowledge of was just about to occur. You'd probably end up a little manic too. Calling him Joker like seems totally dismissive. I don't see how the two share any similarities.

1 minute ago, AJLewandoski said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but this seems as silly as saying you're mad Alligator Loki wasn't enough like Tom Hiddleston Loki. The character we saw wasn't Kang it was Immortus, they're both variants on the scientist Nathaniel Richards, but they're vastly different.

Time clearly doesn't work the same in the TVA, they don't age regardless of how long they've been there. Sylvie escaped as a child and when she came back she was an adult, whereas Ravonna hasn't aged a day.

I'm sure earlier in his tenure when eliminating timelines and his other variants he was far more pragmatic, but if Immortus has been around as long as they imply, with Ravonna and Mobius talking about being friends for eons, he's probably been in solitude for near eternity.

Imagine if the only contact you had for the rest of time was an overly perky anthropomorphic clock you programmed, and the only thing you didn't have total knowledge of was just about to occur. You'd probably end up a little manic too. Calling him Joker like seems totally dismissive. I don't see how the two share any similarities.

No. When I referred to "appear", I meant act and/or seem.

His enactment in Loki was a major letdown.

1 minute ago, zosocane said:

We saw Immortus, i.e., the Kang variant of the distant future.  The Kang that Jonathan Majors will portray will be very different from the Immortus we saw yesterday.

The difference between Kang and Immortus = the difference between Logan and Wolverine.

31 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Very nice!  Majors is also a jacked in the show.   It will be nice to see him fight eventually... he seemed pudgy in last night's episode,  so I bet he will look a lot different as the Conqueror 

I have a feeling that was all for the initial performance to convey an ancient and tired character. Like you noted, that is not his common look.

jonathan_majors.jpg.0d0d5dae19c179a4df18f3c6acc69cc8.jpg

He was a smart grab by Marvel Studios.

Edited by Bosco685

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I have a feeling that was all for the initial performance to convey an ancient and tired character. Like you noted, that is not his common look.

jonathan_majors.jpg.0d0d5dae19c179a4df18f3c6acc69cc8.jpg

He was a smart grab by Marvel Studios.

Yeah he is an absolute UNIT on that show. 

He was kinda hunched and spastic which made him less impressive to viewers who do not know his other work.  They are in for a surprise  in the next season. 

30 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The difference between Kang and Immortus = the difference between Logan and Wolverine.

In this case it's more like the difference between Weapon X and Old Man Logan. They're the same character by origin, but experiencing vastly different events in their lives. If that wasn't clear from his explanation of the multiversal war I don't know how better to explain it.

1 hour ago, AJLewandoski said:

The character we saw wasn't Kang it was Immortus, they're both variants on the scientist Nathaniel Richards, but they're vastly different.

In the comics Immortus was granted immortality by the Timekeepers in exchange for guarding the timelines.  Doesn't seem like there are any real Timekeepers so it's unclear if he's ageless in the MCU, but he did tell the Lokis that he's "older than you can know" so it seems a safe bet he's significantly older than the 31-year old that Jonathan Majors is.

1 hour ago, MattTheDuck said:

Given the fact that "Loki" was portrayed by a dozen different actors in this series - including an alligator - it seems pretty unlikely Kang's various incarnations will all be played by Majors.

I've been assuming Loki's fluid appearance is due to Loki's magic and interaction with other magic users.  Alligaloki might be like Throg--just Loki transmuted into an alligator with no way to transmute back.  In the comics I've read over the last few days every Kang variant looks pretty much like every other Kang variant, and Immortus is just Kang older and without the purple and green suit.  Still not sure why he's named "Immortus," but my current guess that Stan didn't have in mind in Avengers #10 but was later ret-conned in is that it ties to the immortality granted to him by the Timekeepers, but I haven't been able to yet find why he's called Immortus instead of Kang.

So I'm guessing Kang will be looking like Majors in all of his versions, but with some MCU-ified version of the Kang suit.

Edited by fantastic_four

44 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

In this case it's more like the difference between Weapon X and Old Man Logan. They're the same character by origin, but experiencing vastly different events in their lives. If that wasn't clear from his explanation of the multiversal war I don't know how better to explain it.

It doesn't need to be explained, it's still a variant of Kang. :eyeroll:

34 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

So does this mean Marvel will be getting a black actor to play the role of Reed Richard's?  hm

I was wondering that too, but the comics have only hinted at potential familial ties with both Reed's dad and even Victor Von Doom, no solid ones.  So I'm guessing they don't feel constrained to do that.