• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,936 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 6:46 AM, tth2 said:

The poor PQ of some of the books puts me off.

I agree- not just PQ- but like lots of really gross foxing and staining- gotta check that back cover.  I let a few cool ones go because of that.

Edited by Black Bat
made more descriptive

On 11/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, october said:

Tracking a bunch of stuff I own in similar grades as a quick confidence boost.

I learned that I have apparently been shopping at discount outlets and bargain bin retailers like M*t*o*l*s, M*t*r C*t*, C*m*c L*n*, H*r*e* Y*e, and A*1 C*m*c*

On 11/4/2021 at 10:03 PM, comicnoir said:

I won the Who's Next? 5

I know someone's next, but what comic did you buy? (:

On 11/4/2021 at 2:53 AM, buttock said:

It's really a different animal to collect 1950s books.  If you're collecting SA you can wait for a 9.4 or a 9.6 with OWW or W pages.  Even WWII era books often at least have several copies in existence in NM, even if they're not available.  If you're collecting pre-code horror then you may have to settle for a VF with C/OW pages.  If you're collecting war, you'll be happy to find a copy in FN.  If you're collecting romance you hope to find one that's not missing pieces. 

Many of these books genuinely don't exist in NM due to the poor production quality and numbers.  Even the pedigrees often yield books that are at best VF/NM despite having never been read or handled.  Those that do exist are tightly held in collections.  I think that although these books aren't in 9.4 W, in a number of cases they're the best that have been offered in 20+ years.  The consigner got a large portion of them from another collector who has had them for years.  

I figure the same mythical group of old time collectors who have multiple mint copies of Superman 1 and Hulk 1 stored away have mint, white page copies of these 1950s books too.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:04 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I picked up one beater that was not in a CGC holder and was not close to the top of the census. The high-grade books that I was tracking were too far out of line with previous sales for my comfort level.

I picked up this book because my one and only contribution to the Grand Comics Database was my observation that the cover depicts a story in the ninth issue.

lf (2)~6.jpeg

Nice one! Blows my copy away.  (thumbsu

On 11/4/2021 at 11:43 PM, Mr.Illmannered said:

Tonight’s offerings were a lot of my “lower end” books ( even though I loved each book as if it was a child ). Wait until you see the next batch - in fact, they’re up now. I absolutely hate to part with it all but that’s life. Enjoy.

It's hard to believe you're selling.... such a noteworthy collecting effort on your part. It's not like SA books were you can knock out 40% of a run at one auction.... You have to have the money AND be on point for these kind of books. GLWS .... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, jimjum12 said:

It's hard to believe you're selling.... such a noteworthy collecting effort on your part. It's not like SA books were you can knock out 40% of a run at one auction.... You have to have the money AND be on point for these kind of books. GLWS .... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

And lots and lots of time...a couple of decades worth. :preach:

On 11/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I picked up one beater that was not in a CGC holder and was not close to the top of the census. The high-grade books that I was tracking were too far out of line with previous sales for my comfort level.

I picked up this book because my one and only contribution to the Grand Comics Database was my observation that the cover depicts a story in the ninth issue.

lf (2)~6.jpeg

Great cover - my favorite of the run, and it's a good run, natch.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:12 AM, C. Spaulding said:

I was waiting until I had the book in hand to post. Yay, for Sunday mail deliveries. I’m pretty excited about this addition being a Church Black Cat with white pages to boot. It also has the bonus of being an old label which I love.

2184FBEA-595C-4CC3-B38D-82EC7F8D766F.thumb.jpeg.a4e68258ba5e161a322dd8bdda92dfbc.jpeg

The way the guy in skivvies is clinging to other dude leaves that cover open to multiple interpretations. 😁

On 11/14/2021 at 10:37 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The way the guy in skivvies is clinging to other dude leaves that cover open to multiple interpretations. 😁

Well, that's because with the way the girl is dressed, what you see is pretty much all you are going to get.  :takeit:

With the covered up dude, it leaves a lot to the imagination and there just might be a big big unexpected surprise in there for you.  :fear:lol

On 11/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, ThothAmon said:

The dream is dead. Pretty serious reserve for trimmed “tanning” bound copies. 

EE2FE090-ABA2-414D-9F53-AD30C6BF0E5A.png

Didt realize they tell you the reserved amount post bidding.?  Huh......Love me some bound books--the colors are always awesome

On 11/15/2021 at 6:26 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

As this auction winds down, I think I’ve lost my illusion that this will end well. Usually the  end of year auctions are weaker than the rest, but I’ve got a bad feeling here. 

its quiet. Too quiet . . . 

After 20 months, people are going insane with cabin fever and bidding like tomorrow's a rumor. It's a better time to be a seller than a buyer, that's for sure.