• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 1:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Have always love the bright blood red colors on this early Jumbo cover by Fine and thought it might have gone for a bit more than the $2,640 it did fetched:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/jumbo-comics-11-fiction-house-1940-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122209-17644.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Jumbo Comics #11 (Fiction House, 1940) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white to white pages....

Then again, it has always been a much underappreciated Fine cover and seems to have gotten lost amongst all of his other great classic covers,  I guess it doesn't help when Overstreet hasn't even broken this book out yet and simply lumps it in together with the later Eisner cover issues. :(

I noticed that Heritage did managed to sell the CGC 9.6 graded Church copy of this book for just under $15K back in 2016 and then the book was auctioned off again by CC for $24K a couple years later in 2018.  (thumbsu

This 7.5 is selling in the current c-link auction.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 2.30.02 PM.png

On 3/1/2022 at 9:07 AM, zen514 said:

Just checked GPA

The last coverless complete  unrestored was actually this same copy 

In 2015   march

so 7 years  ago

Holden,  Let's both bid on it !

On 3/1/2022 at 2:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

This 7.5 is selling in the current c-link auction.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 2.30.02 PM.png

Looks like some fool of a bidder :wink: just went and placed a new high bid on this POS book here.  doh!  

Took a second look at my analysis of this book here and definitely my bad here and hope that I didn't mislead any potential bidders here.  Clearly one of the most OVERRATED GA books out there and now doubt that it's even a Lou Fine cover and clearly the reason why Overstreet doesn't even mention this in his guide.  And to top it off, a Rockford copy which is the most overgraded pedigree out there and makes the Promise Collection books look like a poster child for examples of undergraded pedigree books.  Hope nobody else falls for CL's much overblown hype that it's one of the highest graded copies out there.  (tsk)  :p  lol

Especially since I just got an inside tip that there's a whole ton of HG copies sitting in CGC's pipeline just waiting to be graded and slabbed that would have no problems snuggling themselves in there between the Church CGC 9.6 highest graded copy and the CGC 8.0 second highest graded copy of this book here.  So, absolutely nothing to see at all with respect to this CL lot here.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/1/2022 at 5:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like some fool of a bidder :wink: just went and placed a new high bid on this POS book here.  doh!  

Took a second look at my analysis of this book here and definitely my bad here and hope that I didn't mislead any potential bidders here.  Clearly one of the most OVERRATED GA books out there and now doubt that it's even a Lou Fine cover and clearly the reason why Overstreet doesn't even mention this in his guide.  And to top it off, a Rockford copy which is the most overgraded pedigree out there and makes the Promise Collection books look like a poster child for examples of undergraded pedigree books.  Hope nobody else falls for CL's much overblown hype that it's one of the highest graded copies out there.  (tsk)  :p  lol

Especially since I just got an inside tip that there's a whole ton of HG copies sitting in CGC's pipeline just waiting to be graded and slabbed that would have no problems snuggling themselves in there between the Church CGC 9.6 highest graded copy and the CGC 8.0 second highest graded copy of this book here.  So, absolutely nothing to see at all with respect to this CL lot here.  :devil:

As the custodian of this copy of Jumbo #11 for the last 10 years or so, I must agree with lou_fine.  You do not want to own this clearly undergraded copy.  If you add a 7.5 like this to your collection, you'll begin to think all your 8.0s and 8.5s are overgraded and you'll feel terrible.  Also, the colours on this one will give you an unrealistic expectation on your future purchases of Fiction House books, as very few can match it.  

Hopefully a wealthy board member can step in and save lou_fine from the travesty of owning such a comic.  Act quickly, as there are less than 11 hours until bidding ends over on ComicLink!

:devil:

On 3/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, path4play said:

Several Promise books I was tracking just came up "This lot has been withdrawn from this auction.
Bids are no longer accepted and previous bids are cancelled."

Is this fairly typical?  Do they usually appear in later auction later?

I think someone is privately buying certain issues i could be wrong but maybe right :bigsmile:

On 3/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, path4play said:

Several Promise books I was tracking just came up "This lot has been withdrawn from this auction.
Bids are no longer accepted and previous bids are cancelled."

Is this fairly typical?  Do they usually appear in later auction later?

Joe Mannarino said that the April sale is their biggest based on their pre-auction estimates.  They have a ton of lots so these changes may be balancing volume between their different weekly/Sig sales.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, adamstrange said:

Joe Mannarino said that the April sale is their biggest based on their pre-auction estimates.  They have a ton of lots so these changes may be balancing volume between their different weekly/Sig sales.

I just went through the entire April preview and was thinking that they might have to do a bit of thinning, because the sheer volume of lots is overwhelming.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, adamstrange said:

but if it's something as innocent as this, will we be able to cry fraud and speculate as to their liability????

Edited by Straw-Man

On 3/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, tth2 said:

I just went through the entire April preview and was thinking that they might have to do a bit of thinning, because the sheer volume of lots is overwhelming.

Not necessarily a good sign for collectors who might be thinking of potentially selling some of their books during this rather insane marketplace because we all know about the law of supply and demand.  hm

Especially once more books slowly snails their way out of the almost one-year wait to get through the CGC grading factory plus apparently another year on top of that if you want to squeeze it through their CCS pressing maximization machine first.  :devil:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Not necessarily a good sign for collectors who might be thinking of potentially selling some of their books during this rather insane marketplace because we all know about the law of supply and demand.  hm

I agree, but would point out it ain’t no picnic right now either considering the world events and the stock market. I think the Clink sales were a mixed bag and I can’t conclude the accelerator is still pushed to the floor.  Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn’t have sent in my books for sale in this particular cycle. They will tell me this is exactly the best time to sell when people are looking for alternatives to the stock market to invest. I personally do not agree w that POV.

but you are right, lou_fine. The ton of material in the pipeline is yet another factor that will affect prices.

as a buyer, I’m cautiously optimistic that prices may ease up

On 3/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Especially once more books slowly snails their way out of the almost one-year wait to get through the CGC grading factory plus apparently another year on top of that if you want to squeeze it through their CCS pressing maximization machine first.  :devil:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

people actually do this?    the horror, the horror.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:07 PM, comicjack said:

I think someone is privately buying certain issues i could be wrong but maybe right :bigsmile:

To quote Billy Joel, You may be wrong but you may be right.  If so, that sinks?   Thanks all for reply - sounds like its a re-balancing issue.  Hopefully my books re-appear at later auction.

Edited by path4play

On 3/3/2022 at 12:35 PM, mikefeen said:

So far out of 141 books that have closed for me in the current CL auction, 130 have exceeded my pre-auction expectations and only 11 have fallen below.  And only 1 of the 11 has been more than 10% below.  Some of those 11 have been less than $100 below on a 5K+ book.  So in my opinion, prices remain strong.  A few books have more than 3X'ed my expectation number. :banana:

Maybe my expectations were a bit conservative, but I used the most recent GPA info available a few days before the auctions started closing.  I did throw out a lot of the Promise results in my calculations, as some of those just seemed too crazy and unrealistic.  Always good to under promise and over deliver, even to yourself!  (:

I know how you've been doing, because I've seen your postings.  Let me take this opportunity to congratulate you on a sensational collection.

What I'm suggesting to you is IMO you would have gotten even better results in the Fall 2021 cycle.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost