• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,947 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2023 at 4:41 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm tutoring a student who is also studying karate. I mentioned Bruce Lee to him the other day, and he had no idea who that was. He had never heard of Chuck Norris, either. (I'm sure there must be newer martial arts guys that I've never heard of.)

To be fair Bruce Lee had nothing to do with karate, on account of being Chinese and not Japanese, so even while training there are few reasons to bring him up in the dojo. So unless a kid is a big Wuxia fan and explores classic movies their ain't much in modern popular culture that even mention him explicitly anymore (its all costume/sound references that otherwise won't land) 

Nobody needs to know about Chuck Norris though, so he's better off ;)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 2/18/2023 at 1:41 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm tutoring a student who is also studying karate. I mentioned Bruce Lee to him the other day, and he had no idea who that was. He had never heard of Chuck Norris, either. (I'm sure there must be newer martial arts guys that I've never heard of.)

Well, maybe he's simply not so much into the Bruce Lee types of character and you need to try the opposite approach with him like this one here:  hm

Silver Age (1956-1969):Humor, Herbie #1 (ACG, 1964) CGC NM 9.4 Cream to off-white pages....

You just gotta love Herbie, the Fat Fury and I guess you also can't go wrong with Fatman, The Human Flying Saucer:  :luhv:  :roflmao:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer #2 Twin Cities pedigree (Lightning Comics, 1967) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

On 2/18/2023 at 9:54 AM, clarkkentdds said:

What happened to the many Promises initially listed in the March auction??

Well, you do know the old saying that "Promises are meant to be broken", although I believe another old saying would also apply here, and that is "All good things come to those who are patient and willing to wait" or something akin to that.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, lou_fine said:

"All good things come to those who are patient and willing to wait" or something akin to that.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Not always true. 10 years ago I had a plan to finish my Silver Age collection first, get that out of the way, and wait to concentrate on Golden Age once I'm done and I know more about it. Now I can't afford most of the ones I want. I think "you snooze, you lose" has much more truth to it. zzz

Edited by Professor K
sleepy guy emoji added for effect

On 2/18/2023 at 1:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, maybe he's simply not so much into the Bruce Lee types of character and you need to try the opposite approach with him like this one here:  hm

Silver Age (1956-1969):Humor, Herbie #1 (ACG, 1964) CGC NM 9.4 Cream to off-white pages....

You just gotta love Herbie, the Fat Fury and I guess you also can't go wrong with Fatman, The Human Flying Saucer:  :luhv:  :roflmao:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer #2 Twin Cities pedigree (Lightning Comics, 1967) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Let me guess—you had both of those in the secret stash that you only pull out when your wife is in the mood but little Dean needs a pick-me-up?

On 2/18/2023 at 11:19 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Let me guess—you had both of those in the secret stash that you only pull out when your wife is in the mood but little Dean needs a pick-me-up?

Sadly, none of the Herbie's at all, but I do believe I have one of the Fatman's in my collection and if I remember correctly, it might just be a HG copy of Fatman #3 since that issue was listed as "scarce" (my foot lol) for some unknown irrational reason by Overstreet in his guide.  (thumbsu  :banana:

On 2/19/2023 at 1:54 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Maybe the consignor read the thread about the catastrophic results of Promise resales so far and changed his/her mind.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:11 AM, Professor K said:

Not always true. 10 years ago I had a plan to finish my Silver Age collection first, get that out of the way, and wait to concentrate on Golden Age once I'm done and I know more about it. Now I can't afford most of the ones I want. I think "you snooze, you lose" has much more truth to it. zzz

So true.  How many times have people said it cost only $X 10 years ago, and now it's 5 times more expensive?  The reality is that at the time, almost everything seemed expensive too because if it wasn't, it would've been grabbed already. 

Which means that in 10 years, today will be "10 years ago", so people should stop worrying that something costs too much right now and just buy it, because the history of comic collecting tells us that in 10 years, it'll seem like a great deal.  But somehow that never seems to happen. 

Except by the people who bought Promise books the past couple of years! 

Edited by tth2

On 2/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, tth2 said:

so people should stop worrying that something costs too much right now and just buy it, because the history of comic collecting tells us that in 10 years, it'll seem like a great deal.  But somehow that never seems to happen. 

Except by the people who bought Promise books the past couple of years! 

Well, now that it's a New Year and we are past the irrational exuberance of the past two years when it comes to the Promise Books, no need to worry anymore as you've now got a second chance for this little steal of a deal right now when viewed through your eyes 10 years from now: :takeit: :banana:

Golden Age (1938-1955), Detective Comics #140 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC,...

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/18/2023 at 7:50 PM, tth2 said:
On 2/18/2023 at 9:54 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Maybe the consignor read the thread about the catastrophic results of Promise resales so far and changed his/her mind.

Or maybe there are now just so many buyers from the first go round pounding on their doors to cut their losses, that Heritage has more than enough to have a standalone Showcase Auction for all of the Promise Collection retreads.  :(

On 2/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, Professor K said:

Oh right, I thought there was another. Well I still think my theory that most of the upcoming ones may be from sales that never were paid is possible. More possible than someone who spent over a million big ones on books suddenly deciding to sell them all in one auction.

For these Promise books, Heritage shows the prices realized from their initial auction.  If the books represent sales that never were paid, I would think that Heritage would not show these sales with the "realized" price.  That would be fraud.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:50 PM, tth2 said:

That is not universally true.

The Planet Comics 64 - CGC 4.5 - Promise Collection Pedigree - Robot Cover - 1950 just sold of feeBay for $1,136.76 vs. $930.00 originally on HA... less than 1.5 years later.  And if we are talking grade, a still very substantial premium for the pedigree.

Without some type of specific database tracking all sales with solid quantification, I think the best that can be said is "depending" on many factors including issue, time, condition etc.,

Edited by path4play

On 2/20/2023 at 8:36 AM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

For these Promise books, Heritage shows the prices realized from their initial auction.  If the books represent sales that never were paid, I would think that Heritage would not show these sales with the "realized" price.  That would be fraud.

Ok I believe you, just for my knowledge where do you find "prices realized" on the website? I look at books that have ended and they say "Sold on" followed by the date and price. Same as they look a few seconds after the auction ends. If a book wasn't paid for how would they stipulate that when looking at a past auction? I have never seen an auction that has ended later stating not paid and I'm sure that a small percentage were not paid. So how do we know? 

On 2/20/2023 at 11:35 AM, path4play said:

The Planet Comics 64 - CGC 4.5 - Promise Collection Pedigree - Robot Cover - 1950 just sold of feeBay for $1,136.76 vs. $930.00 originally on HA... less than 1.5 years later.  And if we are talking grade, a still very substantial premium for the pedigree.

Without some type of specific database tracking all sales with solid quantification, I think the best that can be said is "depending" on many factors including issue, time, condition etc.,

Generally speaking, it seems like the low-to-mid-grade books stand a better chance of making gains the second time around because people weren't falling all over themselves to acquire those the way they were with the high-grade copies. Unlike the high-grade books, most of the mid-grade books look like they were graded within reason, too—a bit softly, maybe, but within CGC's normal variation.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:35 AM, path4play said:

Well, of course nothing is ever 100% when it comes to these thing as you can always find examples that go against the general rule. (thumbsu

The Planet Comics 64 - CGC 4.5 - Promise Collection Pedigree - Robot Cover - 1950 just sold of feeBay for $1,136.76 vs. $930.00 originally on HA... less than 1.5 years later. 

Well, let's not forget the Seven Seas 5 which had a very impressive return of some 42% as it went from $14,400 up to $20,400 in just 14 short months.  Of course, that was not surprising since it was the lead promo ad book for the Matt Baker Showcase Auction.  Then again, not sure if the resellers of the Terry-Toons 38 with the first Mighty Mouse who was not so mighty after taking a 72% hit as it fell out of the sky from $60K down to some $16,800 or the Saddle Justice 6 which took a hit of 69% by falling off its saddle from $21K down to only $6,600 on its second go round would tend to agree with you.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

I guess the lesson here is not to get caught up in the irrational exuberent FOMO and HA hype and end up egregiously over paying for a book. hm  (thumbsu  

Well, since @MasterChief is quite busy with his work and not much time to spend on the boards here, the last update was from back on December 18th and it showed an overall bottom line return of negative 28% to that point in time for some 60+ Promise Resales, with something like only 10 of them in the Green.  Hopefully, he'll have time to provide us with a further update after the next Heritage Signature Auction since they have a large number of Promise books coming back for their second go-round here.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/20/2023 at 11:16 AM, Professor K said:

Ok I believe you, just for my knowledge where do you find "prices realized" on the website? I look at books that have ended and they say "Sold on" followed by the date and price. Same as they look a few seconds after the auction ends. If a book wasn't paid for how would they stipulate that when looking at a past auction? I have never seen an auction that has ended later stating not paid and I'm sure that a small percentage were not paid. So how do we know? 

I had a book on HA that wasn't paid for and it was either noted as not paid or removed from the archive.  I don't recall which, but it is made clear.