• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,942 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2023 at 4:06 PM, IngelsFan said:

I eventually want get all of the regular sized prehero paper-covered books, but it’s a slow and steady goal (my last pickup was a Comics Magazine/Funny Pages V.1#3 last summer).

Speaking about very early pre-hero books, I just went on a site and I am the current high bidder for a beater copy of Comics Magazine 1.  :banana:

Sadly, can't post a picture of it since it's been graded by the boys across the street, but I also very much doubt I will be doing much dancing at the end though since I am sure it will go much higher than this after it's all said and done some 3 long weeks later.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/18/2023 at 10:55 PM, tth2 said:

So true.  How many times have people said it cost only $X 10 years ago, and now it's 5 times more expensive?  The reality is that at the time, almost everything seemed expensive too because if it wasn't, it would've been grabbed already. 

Which means that in 10 years, today will be "10 years ago", so people should stop worrying that something costs too much right now and just buy it, because the history of comic collecting tells us that in 10 years, it'll seem like a great deal.  But somehow that never seems to happen. 

Except by the people who bought Promise books the past couple of years! 

True....but under the assumption that these were actual sales to hobbyists, I also think that “remorse” (as someone put it further up in this thread) may come into play - but not in the traditional sense.  I can imagine that after the dust settles on buying a (say) Tec 140 in unbelievable CGC9.6 (!) and some time passes, the person who spent half a million on this type of book may reassess. Yes, this book contains a first appearance, but of a criminal.  And, not even the hero’s alpha criminal (Joker).  Thinking about what other first appearance books can be purchased for $500k, and their comparative potential long-term performance trajectory, creates very many potentially better options. 

On 2/21/2023 at 6:16 AM, LearnedHand said:

True....but under the assumption that these were actual sales to hobbyists, I also think that “remorse” (as someone put it further up in this thread) may come into play - but not in the traditional sense.  I can imagine that after the dust settles on buying a (say) Tec 140 in unbelievable CGC9.6 (!) and some time passes, the person who spent half a million on this type of book may reassess. Yes, this book contains a first appearance, but of a criminal.  And, not even the hero’s alpha criminal (Joker).  Thinking about what other first appearance books can be purchased for $500k, and their comparative potential long-term performance trajectory, creates very many potentially better options. 

But if you're a Batman collector and trying to get the best you can, those other options aren't what you're after so why would you buy those?  It's like saying that a guy who wants a Ferrari should buy a Honda Civic.  

On 2/21/2023 at 12:03 PM, buttock said:

But if you're a Batman collector and trying to get the best you can, those other options aren't what you're after so why would you buy those?  It's like saying that a guy who wants a Ferrari should buy a Honda Civic.  

Unless you’re saying the purchaser of the Promise 9.6 upgraded, isn’t your “Bat collector” theory refuted by the fact that the book is up for sale? 

At this point I have no idea where the premium for Pedigree books begins or ends. I love em and they are a focus of certain parts of my collection (Tales of Suspense for example) but what some sellers are expecting boggles my mind.

Last week I put in a very drunk offer on a pedigree book, which also had a same grade non-pedigree copy of it auctioned the same time that ended for around $500 a day after my offer...the seller rejected my $1300+ offer for his pedigree (it wasn't anywhere near a top census copy and was a fairly common Silver Age lesser key).

Maybe they love pedigrees or the characters involved as much as I do (but in retrospect I breathed a sign of relief when the rejection came as the sober mind realized a $800 premium for just a pedigree label was a little too much).

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 2/20/2023 at 10:16 AM, Professor K said:

Ok I believe you, just for my knowledge where do you find "prices realized" on the website? I look at books that have ended and they say "Sold on" followed by the date and price. Same as they look a few seconds after the auction ends. If a book wasn't paid for how would they stipulate that when looking at a past auction? I have never seen an auction that has ended later stating not paid and I'm sure that a small percentage were not paid. So how do we know? 

Please look at the listing for the upcoming Signature auction and for each of the Promise books that you may be interested in, just click open their pages and you will see a list of prices realized in previous auctions for those books.  

Received a PM from a fellow boardie here the other night and it looks like the fire is not only burning hot on the later Fox books which we have seen recently, but also still burning brightly on the early Fox books:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/mystery-men-comics-7-fox-1940-cgc-apparent-gd-25-slight-c-1-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122309-17635.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|6

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F6%2F8%2F3%2F27683143%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Definitely not the best looking copy of a CGC 2.5 graded book from a strict appearance POV and even a restored copy at that, and yet still able to garnered a price of $3,360 or over 6.5X its unrestored condition guide valuation.  :whatthe:

Then again, I guess it really shouldn't be that surprising since even slightly lower graded raw Good copies and even a Restored Incomplete Good copy have been selling in this same $3K+ price range for the past few years.  :applause:

Looks like collectors are more than willing to buck up and pay when some of these rare HTF Fox books like this Mystery Men 7 makes an appearance in the marketplace.  Especially with a book like MM 7 where there are not only a meagre 11 Universal copies, but  also extremely tough to find in grade with the highest graded copy being the Jon Berk Church copy at a grade of only CGC 8.0 and then a humongous drop down to only CGC 4.0 and below for the other 10 Universal graded copies of this book.  :cloud9:   :takeit:

On 2/21/2023 at 10:44 PM, LearnedHand said:

Unless you’re saying the purchaser of the Promise 9.6 upgraded, isn’t your “Bat collector” theory refuted by the fact that the book is up for sale? 

Unless we know the reason it is up for sale isn't anything we post in that regard pure speculation?

On 3/2/2023 at 3:15 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Look forward to seeing what the Tec 27 sells for.

Seems like only AC1 and Tec27 are immune to current market slump so it will certainly do well.

I would not currently place high estimates on any other books though.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:11 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Seems like only AC1 and Tec27 are immune to current market slump so it will certainly do well.

I would not currently place high estimates on any other books though.

They are definitely non slumpy books.

I had a bid on Sensation 35, maybe the top bid...but I expected to bid again. Much to my surprise I got not one, but two notes this morning that the book had been withdrawn. I don't remember that being an option? or did I miss something?

On 3/6/2023 at 9:38 PM, skypinkblu said:

I had a bid on Sensation 35, maybe the top bid...but I expected to bid again. Much to my surprise I got not one, but two notes this morning that the book had been withdrawn. I don't remember that being an option? or did I miss something?

Ugh, that's super annoying. I've noticed during the HA live bidding recently, there's the occasional withdrawn lot.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:38 PM, skypinkblu said:

I think it had a scratched holder. :baiting:

On 3/8/2023 at 6:43 AM, tth2 said:

... and they're off!

And with only 22 of the Promise Collection retreads coming back into the marketplace which is down from the 90 odd copies they had earlier.  ???

Not sure what happened to the other copies, but you Sir, can certainly still bid on the following Promise copy here:  lol  :takeit:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-140-the-promise-collection-pedigree-dc-1948-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7339-91032.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955), Detective Comics #140 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC, 1948) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....